Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1152049

Brevan

• Semi-Newbie
The Greek words you folks like to use on your tattoos  have a lot of history and culture behind them.  We respect the words themselves more than the poor little symbols that are used to write them.  Those symbols were borrowed by the Romans to make your alphabet, just as the Greeks had borrowed symbols from the Phoenicians to make their own alphabet.  If I commit my body to wearing a word for the rest of my life, I’ll consider the meaning of the word far more important than the exotic shape of its letters.  How would you feel if someone you loved refused to wear your name on his/her body because the spelling of it wasn’t decorative enough?  Of course, if your interest is mainly in appearance, you always have the option of creating your own alphabet.  You could make it as strange and mysterious as you like, and it might turn out to be much more exotic than the Greek, with even less chance of anyone being able to read it! :-)))   

ummmm yes i do care more about the word's meaning much more than how it looks. if i didnt i would just ask for a greek word that looked cool.  Also you may have noticed i emphasized FONT im query.  Font is only changing how the word LOOKS not what it MEANS... imagine a person where english is a foriegn language to them... they go to a site where someone translates to english but they dont like how it looks.  You dont have to change the spelling or what it says, theire are plenty of other options: lower case, upper case, diffrent fonts, or even writing it in cursive. If im going to get a word premantly written on my body, i think it would be wise to explore all possible ways of writing it, wouldnt you agree??     
« Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2007, 00:56:21 by wings »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
ummmm yes i do care more about the word's meaning much more than how it looks. if i didnt i would just ask for a greek word that looked cool.  Also you may have noticed i emphasized FONT im query.  Font is only changing how the word LOOKS not what it MEANS... imagine a person where english is a foriegn language to them... they go to a site where someone translates to english but they dont like how it looks.  You dont have to change the spelling or what it says, theire are plenty of other options: lower case, upper case, diffrent fonts, or even writing it in cursive. If im going to get a word premantly written on my body, i think it would be wise to explore all possible ways of writing it, wouldnt you agree??     

Brevan, what you don't see is that the way these letters look won't change because of the font. Again, Σ will still be look like the only "Greek" letter.

You can see what I mean here, where I have used various different fonts, though I still prefer the font Nickel had used earlier:

ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
« Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2007, 01:03:01 by wings »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Yes, I'm focused better now on your emphasis on "font."  Sorry to have been misled by the statement that "the only letter that really looks greek is the Σ at the end."  I can't help remembering that the Roman alphabet (the one you use) is originally the Greek alphabet with just a few changes, so it all "looks Greek" to me. 
Nickel and Wings are the Font Masters here.  I'm sure they'll give you some input if they have the time. 
« Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2007, 01:08:34 by billberg23 »

banned8

Font Master? Did I hear my name?

Well, if you don't want the starkness of the Lithos font, which seems to be the favourite here for Ancient Greek (first one in the picture), you can always go for some of the Byzantine fonts. Fancy ecclesiastical fonts, really; don't tie in very well with 'warrior', but what the heck, let's give it a go.

lycos

If you want more letters that don't exist in the Latin Alphabet, try

ΠΟΛΕΜΙΣΤΗΣ

greekgoddess

• Semi-Newbie
hi, firstly i would like to say how wonderful it is to see so many people interested in the Greek language, makes one so proud to be Greek!! and what a fantastic site this is!
Now I'm on of those unfortunate people who is Greek by blood but not Greek by tongue! It infuriates me immensely.. Well anyway, i am extremely proud of my heritage, and are thinking about getting a tattoo in Greek, either modern or attic.. i am thinking of either the word PRINCESS (obviously English) or maybe a Greek phrase you speak of in other messages, if there is one someone could suggest, in keeping with the Princess idea. or/and the word Goddess! hope there is someone who may be able to help or enlighten me, paraka-lo!?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Well anyway, i am extremely proud of my heritage, and are thinking about getting a tattoo in Greek, either modern or attic.. i am thinking of either the word PRINCESS (obviously English) or maybe a Greek phrase you speak of in other messages, if there is one someone could suggest, in keeping with the Princess idea. or/and the word Goddess! hope there is someone who may be able to help or enlighten me, paraka-lo!?
First suggestion from the ancient realm: ΔΕΣΠΟΙΝΑ (δέσποινα), meaning "lady" (of the land, of the house, etc., female counterpart of a lord).  It was often joined to the names of goddesses.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
i am thinking of either the word PRINCESS (obviously English) or maybe a Greek phrase you speak of in other messages, if there is one someone could suggest, in keeping with the Princess idea.
And here's another one in ancient Greek:  ΠΟΤΝΙΑ (πότνια).  Meaning mistress (of humans, of animals, of crops, etc,), it was also used with names of goddesses, esp. Athena.  A really powerful combination could be ΔΕΣΠΟΙΝΑ ΠΟΤΝΙΑ, since ΔΕΣΠΟΙΝΑ by itself often referred to Persephone, the ultimate princess.

triki

• Semi-Newbie
Hello, I was just wondering if someone could help me translate these quotes in Greek.

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.
-- William Allen White quotes

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
-- William Shakespeare quotes

Any help would be appreciated :D

Thanks !

banned8

In modern Greek:

I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today.

Δεν φοβάμαι το αύριο, γιατί έζησα το χτες και λατρεύω το σήμερα.
(Translation already available on the web)

Δεν με φοβίζει το αύριο, γιατί είδα το χτες και λατρεύω το σήμερα.
(Alternative translation)

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

Να τους αγαπάς όλους, να εμπιστεύεσαι λίγους και να μην κάνεις κακό σε κανέναν.
(Translation by Errikos Belies)

tc-9

• Semi-Newbie
I was looking for the translation of the name "Eugene" which i understand has some Greek roots...i have read that it means well-born...and i am wanting the translation of this name "Eugene" for a tattoo...thank you for your time

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
I was looking for the translation of the name "Eugene" which i understand has some Greek roots...i have read that it means well-born...and i am wanting the translation of this name "Eugene" for a tattoo...thank you for your time

Ευγένιος
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

tc-9

• Semi-Newbie
thanks a lot...also one last question just to make sure that am i correct that "eugene" means well-born or something around that?

F_idάνι

I don't know the exact origin of the name, but it bears connotations of  good lineage, nobility and courtesy.

Search Tools