Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1157306

jasoreo

• Semi-Newbie
I wondering how the word passion is spelled out in Greek. I wanna get it tattoed on me but I want to make sure I have got it right. Been doing alot of research and found that this place might be able to help me out. So if their is anybody out their that can help me I would greatly appreciate it.

banned8

For jasoreo:

ΠΑΘΟΣ / Πάθος, in the sense of loving with passion or the passion of Christ.

ILIANA27

• Semi-Newbie
Hi Nickel,

This is the most fantastic website I have ever come across..
I have been thinking about getting a tattoo for a while..

I want to get the word 'Eleutheria', but was wondering if it is said the same way in Ancient Greek.

Also are they any other quotes you can recommend that follow the same lines of freedom..
Not too long, as I dont want an essay on my body. Something smart and to the point.

Thanks for your help.

Iliana

banned8

Oh yes, eleutheria is quite old. You can find it in Herodotus, and the day of freedom is ἐλεύθερον ἦμαρ in Homer.

My favourite saying in that spirit comes from modern Greek and this chap here:

Όποιος ελεύθερα συλλογάται συλλογάται καλά.

i.e. (almost word for word): Whoever thinks freely thinks well.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan, 2007, 04:53:13 by nickel »

ILIANA27

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks Nickel!

Όποιος ελεύθερα συλλογάται συλλογάται καλά'

Can this be put in Ancient Greek also?

« Last Edit: 05 Jan, 2007, 04:53:29 by nickel »

banned8

Όποιος ελεύθερα συλλογάται συλλογάται καλά.

Can this be put in Ancient Greek also?

It can, but I won't do it. I'm not in favour of intralingual translation in the case of sayings of historical significance.

Give us some time and we'll come up with something appropriate in ancient Greek.

banned8

How about this, for example:

Τὸ εὔδαιμον τὸ ἐλεύθερον, τὸ δ’ ἐλεύθερον τὸ εὔψυχον.

It comes from Pericles' funeral oration as reported by Thucydides and means: happiness is the fruit of freedom and freedom of valour.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan, 2007, 05:19:17 by nickel »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
That's excellent, nickel;  we could also ransack Herodotus for appropriate passages, and there would be many, but what stands out in my mind is again in modern Greek, the inscription Kazantzakis wrote for his own tombstone:  Δεν ελπίζω τίποτα, δε φοβούμαι τίποτα, είμαι ελεύθερος!  (I have no hope, I have no fear, I am free!)

[Nαι, το ξέρω ότι το έγραψε "λέφτερος,"  μα να μην μπερδέψω τον πελάτη ...] 

banned8

I should be kicking myself for not remembering my fellow citizen's epitaph. And that's another one I wouldn't translate into ancient Greek.

[Γράφει "λεύτερος" στον τάφο του, που θα μπέρδευε λιγότερο τον πελάτη :-]

billberg23

• Words ail me.

ILIANA27

• Semi-Newbie

Thanks for your help today!

I think i might just leave it as Eleutheria, otherwise its just going to be too big.

I understand Greek, not confused at all : )

Iliana

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I understand Greek, not confused at all : )
Γι' αυτό έχω μάθει να μην κάνω προϋποθέσεις (blush)!

banned8

Δεν ήταν κόλπο για να σε βάλω να μας δώσεις φωτογραφία σου, φανταστικέ Μπιλ. Αλλά the usual web misinformation. Η δική μου μνήμη από την επίσκεψη στον τάφο (λίγο μετά την ταφή του) δεν βοηθούσε. Αλλά μια φωτογραφία αξίζει περισσότερο από 5.670 Google hits.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Η δική μου μνήμη από την επίσκεψη στον τάφο (λίγο μετά την ταφή του) δεν βοηθούσε.
The epitaph was elusive at that time.  It was stuck in movable letters to a rough wooden cross.  When I saw it in 1961, most of the letters had fallen out (or been plucked out).  Luckily, a couple of kids were playing (marbles?) on the ground near the cross.  When I asked them what had been written there, one of them stood up, cupped his hands as if reciting in school, and intoned the epitaph.  Nick, it was an incredibly moving experience. 

ashley5306

I am getting a tattoo of my sons name (jacob) in greek, since i am greek. and i was wondering if someone could please translate it for me.  Jacob and also Jacob Michael.   and are greek numbers different?  if so could you do 5-3-06 also.  sorry if i seem like an idiot.. i just don't have any clue on greek writing, but this is something i have been wanting to do since he was born. thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan, 2007, 19:32:39 by wings »

Search Tools