Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257536

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
I am getting a tattoo of my sons name (jacob) in greek, since i am greek. and i was wondering if someone could please translate it for me.  Jacob and also Jacob Michael.   and are greek numbers different?  if so could you do 5-3-06 also.  sorry if i seem like an idiot.. i just don't have any clue on greek writing, but this is something i have been wanting to do since he was born. thanks for your help.

Jacob →  Ιακώβ
Michael → Μιχαήλ

There is no change in numbers. But if you mean the date of birth by "5-3-06", then in Greek it should be "5-3-06" if you mean "5 March 2006" or it should become "3-5-06" if you mean "3 May 2006".
« Last Edit: 06 Jan, 2007, 19:41:56 by nickel »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

lycos

If you want actual Greek numbers, you should go for ε'-γ'-,βς'

Tabro

• Semi-Newbie
Hello all!  I am looking to get the following translated...

"Death comes for us all"
"Not every man really lives"
"Live every moment"

I'm wanting an inspirational type saying.  If any of you have any suggestions I would appreciate it!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"Death comes for us all"
"Not every man really lives"
"Live every moment"
Death comes to us all:  Ἡμῖν δὲ πᾶσιν ἐπέρχεται ὀ θάνατος  ΗΜΙΝ ΔΕ ΠΑΣΙΝ ΕΠΕΡΧΕΤΑΙ Ο ΘΑΝΑΤΟΣ
Not every man really lives:  Οἱ μὲν τῷ ὄντι ζῶσιν, οὶ δ' οὔ  ΟΙ ΜΕΝ ΤΩΙ ΟΝΤΙ ΖΩΣΙΝ, ΟΙ Δ' ΟΥ  (Literally, "Some really live, others don't.")
Live every moment:  Πᾶν ἀκαρὲς χρόνου διαβιῶναι  ΠΑΝ ΑΚΑΡΕΣ ΧΡΟΝΟΥ ΔΙΑΒΙΩΝΑΙ

That's the best we can do at the moment.  Stay tuned for updates. 

RainmakerPKP

• Semi-Newbie
could someone translate the phrase "Remember, you must die" for me in ancient greek. i am thinking of getting that as a tattoo, it would be very much appreciated. thank you very much :)
« Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2007, 13:43:42 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
could someone translate the phrase "Remember, you must die" for me in ancient greek.
Μέμνησο ὅτι χρή σε ἀποθανεῖν  ΜΕΜΝΗΣΟ ΟΤΙ ΧΡΗ ΣΕ ΑΠΟΘΑΝΕΙΝ

lycos

To shorten it, how about ΜΕΜΝΗΣΟ ΑΠΟΘΑΝΕΙΝ ΧΡΗ ?

billberg23

• Words ail me.

lycos

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Don't we say ΘΑΡΣΕΙΝ ΧΡΗ?
Of course, meaning "it is necessary to be brave."  But here, after "remember," we need either OTI XPH ("that it is necessary") or the infinitive XPHN ("it to be necessary").

Brevan

• Semi-Newbie
ok all i really need to know is how to translate "warrior" into acient greek.  I may be intrested in using it as a tattoo, but i guess it depends... soo  if you could translate as lower case and all capitols that would be great.
word.

p.s.  dont know if it makes a diffrence but im talking about warrior as in : hercules was a great "warrior".  I am a true "warrior".
« Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2007, 11:07:51 by wings »

banned8

warrior

μαχητής           ΜΑΧΗΤΗΣ
« Last Edit: 12 Jan, 2007, 14:44:16 by wings »

Brevan

• Semi-Newbie
hey thanks nickel, i really appreciate it.  Just one more ??.... I do like the capoitol letters better, but if you were getting the same tattoo i was, would you get it done exactly as it appears in the text above (not taking shading and outlining ect. into account) or is there a way to make the letters look better? perhaps a certain font or something. my knowledge of this is limited but the only letter that really looks greek is the "Σ" at the end.
thanks!
« Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2007, 00:55:48 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I do like the capoitol letters better, but if you were getting the same tattoo i was, would you get it done exactly as it appears in the text above (not taking shading and outlining ect. into account) or is there a way to make the letters look better? perhaps a certain font or something. my knowledge of this is limited but the only letter that really looks greek is the "Σ" at the end.
The Greek words you folks like to use on your tattoos  have a lot of history and culture behind them.  We respect the words themselves more than the poor little symbols that are used to write them.  Those symbols were borrowed by the Romans to make your alphabet, just as the Greeks had borrowed symbols from the Phoenicians to make their own alphabet.  If I commit my body to wearing a word for the rest of my life, I’ll consider the meaning of the word far more important than the exotic shape of its letters.  How would you feel if someone you loved refused to wear your name on his/her body because the spelling of it wasn’t decorative enough?  Of course, if your interest is mainly in appearance, you always have the option of creating your own alphabet.  You could make it as strange and mysterious as you like, and it might turn out to be much more exotic than the Greek, with even less chance of anyone being able to read it! :-)))   

Poing

• Semi-Newbie
Sorry guys but I dont know how formal this orum is ,so....
Im going to be stressed out at first ok?
if u want  a Cd in Ancient Greek Language buy yourselves
Έσσεται Ήμαρ-Terror X Crew(greeks not txc from London)
ok?
it's very good!a bit alternative but really good
hope u ll enjoy c ya

Search Tools