Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257604

kim

You could always put παρίστασθαί μοι διαπαντός on one arm, and ἕως ἂν νῶϊ θάνατος διαιρῇ on the other!
As for the JPG, we'll have to see if the Fontmaster has the time...[/quot]

Yeah i was thinking of putting παρίστασθαί μοι διαπαντός on one arm, and ἕως ἂν νῶϊ θάνατος διαιρῇ on the other. But the font will have to be very small to squeeze all those words in. I think I will see what the tattoo artists can do. Will post you a pic once I have that tattooed on my arms.

Thanks so much! you have been great help!
« Last Edit: 09 Apr, 2007, 13:28:49 by nickel »

kim

@kim

Hi Nickel,

Thanks so much for the jpg! Love both caps and lower case!
« Last Edit: 09 Apr, 2007, 12:51:06 by wings »

axltijuca

• Semi-Newbie
Hi Everyone, Im intending to do a Tattoo with the Spartan Shield, I know that the translation of Sparta is Σπάρτη, but I wanto to write down it "Spartan" or "Warrior From Sparta", in Acient Greek (Attic)

Ive asked some friends and i´ve found a couple of translations:

1- πολεμιστής της Σπάρτης
2- Λακεδαιμόνιος
3- Σπαρτιάτης

which of them is correct? What´s the diference?

Heres the Sample of the Tattoo: http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/8391/spartaix8.jpg

Thanks for your help :),

Regards,

Ugo Oliveira - Brazil

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hi Everyone, Im intending to do a Tattoo with the Spartan Shield, I know that the translation of Sparta is Σπάρτη, but I wanto to write down it "Spartan" or "Warrior From Sparta", in Acient Greek (Attic)

Ive asked some friends and i´ve found a couple of translations:

1- πολεμιστής της Σπάρτης
2- Λακεδαιμόνιος
3- Σπαρτιάτης

which of them is correct? What´s the diference?
eira - Brazil
Especially since you already have a Λ on your shield, I'd go with Λακεδαιμόνιος.  It was what the Spartans called themselves, and it signalled that they were members of a warrior nation which had subdued all of Lacedaemon.
Σπαρτιάτης signified anyone (and everyone) who lived in the city called Sparta, slave or free.  It meant nothing special.
And I doubt that any warror from Sparta would have called himself πολεμιστής (ἐκ) της Σπάρτης; it was enough to call himself Λακεδαιμόνιος.
Hope that helps! 

axltijuca

• Semi-Newbie
billberg23,

I think you´re right λακεδαιμονιος is the best word for my tattoo,

thanks, but Im affraid i´ve made a mistake, the Ancient language of the Spartans are Greek Doric, not Attic... (Attic is from Atens)....

How is λακεδαιμονιος in Doric?

thanks again

billberg23

• Words ail me.
thanks, but Im affraid i´ve made a mistake, the Ancient language of the Spartans are Greek Doric, not Attic... (Attic is from Atens)....
How is λακεδαιμονιος in Doric?
Same thing.  Attic and Doric are dialects of the same language (Greek), not different languages. Many words were pronounced the same in both dialects. Like New Englanders and Texans, they could make fun of one another's dialect, but they certainly had no problem understanding one another.

Gitane

• Semi-Newbie
Hello everyone,

I really enjoy this forum. It's so great to have all this knowledge shared!
For a long time i have been looking for quotes concerning 'willpower' or 'strength of will'. But since i am not introduced in the ancient literature i don't know where to start looking. I would especially like quotes from Greek literature concerning willpower or detemination or control of the self or something. I do study philosphy, but i have no knowledge of Greek (i know it is a sin) or overview of Greek literature. Does anyone know any good quotes/lines on this subject?
I really really appreciate your help!!

Greetz

Gitane

billberg23

• Words ail me.
For a long time i have been looking for quotes concerning 'willpower' or 'strength of will'. I would especially like quotes from Greek literature concerning willpower or detemination or control of the self or something. Does anyone know any good quotes/lines on this subject?
Good question, Gitane!  The difficulty is that the ancient Greeks had no concept of “will power” as we conceive it in modern times, or even of “will.”  To Quote from Bruno Snell (The Discovery of the Mind: The Greek Origins of European Τhought, Harvard 1953): 
   But the will … is a notion foreign to the Greeks;  they do not
even have a word for it.  Thelein means “to be ready, to be
prepared for something.”  Boulesthai  is “to view something as
(more) desirable.”  The former denotes a subjective
preparedness, a kind of voluntary attitude devoid of specific
commitment;  the latter refers to a wish or plan (boule) aimed
at a particular object, i.e. a disposition closely related to the
understanding and appreciation of a gain.  But neither word
expresses a realization of the will, the effective inclination of
subject toward object.

For a long time after Homer, the mind was a twofold thing:  the “seeing” mind (nous) and the (e)motive mind (thymos).  What we interpret as the power of the “will” was more often seen by the Greeks as the action of some divine force (daimonion) upon the thymos , moving it toward some object, whether for good or ill.

Even in Homer, however, it is possible for nous  to dominate thymos,  and there, Gitane, we can locate the other concept you bring up, that of “self control.”  In the first book of the Iliad, Athena orders Achilles to put up the sword he has drawn in anger, by bidding him σὺ δ’ ἴσχεο, πείθεο δ’ ἡμῖν (“But you, control yourself, obey us [gods]”).

The most famous expression of self-control was in the second Delphic precept, inscribed in the temple of Apollo at Delphi:  MHΔΕΝ ΑΓΑΝ, “Nothing too much,” of equal rank with the other maxim,  ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ, “Know yourself.”  Self-knowledge and self-control were associated concepts.  According to Heraclitus (fr. 116), Ἀνθρώποισι πᾶσι μέτεστι γινώσκειν ἑωυτοὺς καὶ σωφρονεῖν, “It is given to all humans to know themselves and to control themselves” — again, mind over emotion, nous over thymos.  In Plato’s Gorgias 491d10, Socrates defines the superior man as σώφρονα ὄντα καὶ ἐγκρατῆ αὐτὸν ἑαυτοῦ, τῶν ἡδονῶν καὶ ἐπιθυμιῶν ἄρχοντα τῶν ἐν ἑαυτῷ, “self-controlled and in possession of himself, governing the pleasures and passions within himself.”

Self-control was famously summed up in the noun sophrosyne.  As Socrates notices in Plato’s Symposium 196c4, εἶναι γὰρ ὁμολογεῖται σωφροσύνη τὸ κρατεῖν ἡδονῶν καὶ ἐπιθυμιῶν, “for it is agreed that sophrosyne is the controlling of pleasures and passions.”

There, Gitane.  And perhaps others on the Forum can contribute other famous instances of sophrosyne  in Greek literature.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr, 2007, 01:20:09 by billberg23 »

jack597

Hey all,
Just recently stumbled on this site and it is outstanding!!  I am getting a tattoo and want to incorporate my kids names into the design.  I want their names to be written in Greek.  Could someone provide me with the Greek writing for Alexandra and for Christopher.  Could you also provide the names in caps and lower case.  One last request, is it possible to jpg the names for me so I can print out and give to my tattoo artist to stencil.  Thank you for all of your help. 

banned8

Hi, Jack. Here's your JPG, as requested. Mind you, I have given Κρίστοφερ as a transliteration of the English name, and Χριστόφορος as the Greek version of the name (i.e. bearer of Christ) from which the English is derived.

jack597

Nickel,
Thank you so much for the fast response.  Just so I understand you correctly, the English name of Christopher translated in greek starts with the K, however someone who is 100 percent greek and was given the name Christoher would spell the name with the X.  Sorry if this question sounds stupid, I just want to make sure I understand you correctly before I get the tattoo work done.  I want to make sure I use the correct version for my son's name.  Thank you again for your guidance.

banned8

You have understood correctly: in Greek Christ is Χριστός, hence the Greek for the bearer of Christ starts with an X. The English pronunciation of Christ starts with a "k" sound, therefore the Greek transliteration of the English name Christopher starts with a "K". Thus, Christopher Reeve is Κρίστοφερ in Greek, but Saint Christopher or King Christopher of Denmark is Χριστόφορος (Khristophoros).

jack597

Nickel,
Thanks again you have been a great help.  I have one more request if you would indulge me.  Could you translate the following words in upper and lower case and provide them via jpg:

strength
inner strength

I really appreciate all of your assistance.

banned8

I can only give you the modern Greek for that, Jack. I don't know if the ancients had a different way of putting it.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
strength
inner strength
For a literal translation of the concept, Jack, we should go with nickel's suggestion.  To an ancient Greek, it wouldn't have made much sense to distinguish "strength," "inner strength," and "outer strength."  For "inner strength," the best we can do in ancient Greek is probably KAPTEPIA (="steadfastness").  And for simple strength, ΔΥΝΑΜΙΣ or ΣΘΕΝΟΣ.
[Lower case:  καρτερία, δύναμις, σθένος.]
« Last Edit: 16 Apr, 2007, 19:46:29 by billberg23 »

Search Tools