Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257027

Michael

• Semi-Newbie
Hey can i please get this translated into ancient greek. I want to get a tattoo of it.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
ΟΙ ΣΙΔΗΡΕΟΙ ΘΕΣΜΟΙ
Lower case:  οἱ σιδήρεοι θεσμοί

(Assuming you mean "the iron-clad code of laws.")

nicolettaninos

Can someone please translate the following names into Greek for me?

Derek

Elenni (with 2 n's)

Deacon

Kallissa (with 2 l's & 2 s's)

Xchyler

Many Thanks in advance
Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Can someone please translate the following names into Greek for me?

Derek

Elenni (with 2 n's)

Deacon

Kallissa (with 2 l's & 2 s's)

Xchyler
Nicoletta, do you want each name to be written so that it will be pronounced (in modern Greek) more or less exactly the way it's pronounced in English?

Second question:  can you give us some idea of how Xchyler pronounces his/her name (e.g., "First syllable sounds like ...")?

nicolettaninos

Both the way it would be in Greek or English if that is ok.

Xchyler is Skyler just spelt different.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

nicolettaninos

Nickel thank you for your help re greek orthodox crosses.

Can you offer some more help as I am unsure of which cross to use.

http://www.londonbaystationery.com/Images/cross_fleurie.jpg

http://www.gallerybyzantium.com/store/graphics/00000001/1210AF.gif

All help appreciated.
Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

kim

Oh that explained why is different. Thanks for the enlightenment. Modern Greek sentences seems shorter compared to the ancient greek that you helped me translated. In that case, need a last favour. Can help me translate the phrase again in Modern Greek as well. "Always by my side, Till death do us part."

One more request for the FontMaster. Can also please help me with the fonts, I need a jpg image for the tattoo artist to stencil it. Preferable a few type fonts, Garamond (bold), Trebuchet and Gentium, all lower caps will do.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Hi Bill And Fontmaster,

Can help me translate the phrase again in Modern Greek as well. "Always by my side, Till death do us part." Think you guys might have overlooked it...

Thanks a bunch!

F_idάνι

Nickel thank you for your help re greek orthodox crosses.

Can you offer some more help as I am unsure of which cross to use.

http://www.londonbaystationery.com/Images/cross_fleurie.jpg

http://www.gallerybyzantium.com/store/graphics/00000001/1210AF.gif

All help appreciated.

I so much like the second cross! Especially because of the inscription, meaning LIGHT (=ΦΩΣ) and LIFE (=ΖΩΗ). I am not really sure as to what exactly you are looking for, but I can assure you that it definitely looks greek and orthodox to me :-) Well, anyway, Byzantine, but still very familiar.

Also, as my uncle is an orthodox priest, I can assure you that I have never seen the first kind of cross in his home. Maybe they have that in their vestments or in items used in Mass, but, as I said, nothing more than that.

However, in religious ceremonies the christian cross is used (as in the Wikipedia's first article that Nickel has quoted) or even the Patriarchal one, only that the smaller crossbar might be slightly slanted, often bearing the inscription IN BI (an acronym of the phrase ''Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews'' in greek). The Byzantine cross of the Eastern Orthodox church (from Nickel's first Wikipedia link) is also quite common, only not so elaborated (yes, that's right, like the one in the second Nickel's link).

That being said, my personal opinion would be that if you are looking for a meaningful piece of jewlry, and not anything too explicit in historical or religious terms, go for the second option of yours. Good luck :-)
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2007, 13:29:18 by F_idάνι »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Both the way it would be in Greek or English if that is ok.

Xchyler is Skyler just spelt different.
O.K., here's a cautious attempt at the names.  The true hellenophones will surely admonish me if I've gone astray:

Derek:  Ντέρεκ

Elenni (with 2 n's):  Ελέννι or Ελένη (Hellenized)

Deacon:  Ντήκον or Διάκονος (Hellenized)

Kallissa (with 2 l's & 2 s's):  Καλλίσσα

Xchyler:  Σκάιλερ
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2007, 14:31:43 by nickel »

banned8

Ντέρεκ and Σκάιλερ are fine transliterations of American names. Ελέννι would look strange, so I suggest you go for Ελένη. Ντήκον is also a good transliteration, while Διάκονος (the Greek word from which we got the Latin diaconus and the English deacon) would be used as an ecclesiastical title, but not as a name. Καλλίσσα is unusual but there is at least one person on the web by that name.

Re the crosses: I too like the second one. Not that I didn't like the Russian cross.
« Last Edit: 01 May, 2007, 14:39:40 by nickel »

banned8

Kim, you're right, I'd forgotten. Click on the image link for the Modern Greek version of "Always by my side, Till death do us part."

Image Link

kim

Kim, you're right, I'd forgotten. Click on the image link for the Modern Greek version of "Always by my side, Till death do us part."

Hi Nick,

Once again you are brilliant! Thanks much for the translation and the fonts. You guys rock! Thanks a million!

nicolettaninos

Thank you so much.......I like the 2nd cross also...thank you all for your help!

I am looking for a very religious cross as a tattoo. Would the 2nd one still be your choice?

Derek:  Ντέρεκ (I thought that Derek started with a Triangle)?

Sorry if i am being silly.

Thanks

Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

banned8

I am looking for a very religious cross as a tattoo. Would the 2nd one still be your choice?

I'm neither religious nor in favour of tattoos, so I'm not the right person to ask. I like the Russian cross as a symbol because of the slanted line. But that's a purely artistic whim.

Derek:  Ντέρεκ (I thought that Derek started with a Triangle)?

We no longer transliterate foreign names changing the D to a Greek delta (Δ). Dante is Δάντης but Dante Gabriel Rossetti is Ντάντε and Derek is Ντέρεκ. Δέρεκ would now be the transliteration of Therek ('th' as in this and that).

F_idάνι

Well, the notion ''very religious'' is something complicated, so I am not quite sure as to which one would be better. I know that the actual religious symbol is the one with the one (or two) slanted lines, and I also know that both the text and the font in your second choice qualify as ''very religious''.

Besides, an equally important factor would be the coloring. I liked the second one partly because of the gold. If your tattoo is going to be a black-and-white one, the cross with the slanted lines would probably look better.
But, still, this is just a personal opinion, I could be wrong.

Search Tools