Golden Hair → χρυσόκομον, χρυσόμαλλον

Hodgepodge

• Semi-Newbie
To be more specific, I'd like to know how the concept "golden hair" or "golden haired" would be translated into a place name. I'm hoping to use the name in a story, so it would be really helpful to have a romanized translation.

« Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2007, 14:10:43 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Chrysokomon (neuter singular) would mean "golden-haired."  There's also chrysomallon meaning "with golden fleece."
There is, by the way, an actual place-name in Greece, Xanthi (or Xanthe in its classical spelling), which means "blonde" (feminine singular).
« Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2007, 00:42:19 by billberg23 »

Hodgepodge

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks for the response. I think I'll use "chrysomallon," for several reasons. It's the most poetic of the three, and happens to create a nice allusion (if an obvious one, now that I think about it). I'd rather not use the name of an actual location, since I've already added too many fictional details to get away with it easily. Also, I have to do enough reseach simply because I haven't been to the Mediterranian myself (yet!) without trying the story to a specific location! I'm already lucky that the ancient Greeks were so fond of mythical lands just outside of their own maps. But it is nice to know that there's a real place with a similar name.

« Last Edit: 08 Jan, 2007, 01:08:31 by Hodgepodge »

Search Tools