Quotations index → Ευρετήριο αποφθεγμάτων

Frederique · 52 · 116187

Frederique

• Creative, Hardworking and Able!

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

• Quotations index - N

• Napolitano, Johnette
The worst thing you can try to do is cling to something that is gone, or to recreate it.

• NCIS (TV series)
You need to treat people more respectfully, especially when it comes to matters of the heart. But you, need to be who you are. (Ziva)
more NCIS (TV series) quotes

• Nee Shu-Tsu (Watchman Nee)
Not by gain our life is measured, but by what we've lost 'Tis scored; 'Tis not how much wine is drunken, but how much has been outpoured. For the strength of love never standeth In the sacrifice we bear; He who has the greatest suffering Ever has the most to share.

• Nietzsche, Friedrich (Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche)
Nicht die Stärke, sondern die Dauer der hohen Empfindung macht die hohen Menschen
It is not the strength, but the duration of great sentiments that makes great men.
There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings

• Nin, Anaïs (Angela Anaïs Juana Antolina Rosa Edelmira Nin y Culmell)
I will always be the virgin-prostitute, the perverse angel, the two-faced sinister and saintly woman.
Our love of each other was like two long shadows kissing without hope of reality
Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.

• Nothomb, Amélie
Il faut reconnaitre que le français est vicieux
L’avantage des discussions avec les étrangers est
que l’on peut toujours attribuer l’expression plus ou moins consternée de l’autre à la différence culturelle.

Le bonheur forcé est un cauchemar
La seule manière de cesser de souffrir, c'est de n'avoir plus que du vide dans la tête.
Les théories servent à irriter les philistins, à séduire les esthètes et à faire rire les autres.
Quand le destin de quelqu'un s'accomplit, il faut sourire
La bonté mal pratiquée n'est pas de la bonté.
Le silence est la plus belle preuve de l'amour
Le plaisir est une merveille qui m'apprend que je suis moi.

• Nowhere Boy (Words spoken by actor playing John Lennon in the movie about John Lennon.)
    Nowhere Boy) is a 2009 British biopic about John Lennon's adolescence, his relationships with his guardian aunt and his birth mother, the creation of his first band, the Quarrymen, and its evolution into the Beatles.
There is no point in hating who you love

Thursday, 24 May 2012
« Last Edit: 24 May, 2012, 09:25:56 by Frederique »
Communicate. Explore potentials. Find solutions.

Frederique

• Quotations index - O

• Obama, Barack (Barack Hussein Obama II)
My administration is the only thing between you [CEO's] and the pitchforks
Why can't I just eat my waffle?

• Olmos, Edward James
Education is the vaccine for violence.
I don't support violence, period.
You know, Hillary Clinton gives of herself. Princess Diana gave of herself. But they are not saints.
A saint is a person who gives of themself without asking for anything in return. That's how simple it is to be a saint. Try it! Try being a saint.

• Orff, Carl
Tell me, I forget, show me, I remember, involve me, I understand.

• Ortega y Gasset, José
The Revolt Of The Masses
Effort is only effort when it begins to hurt.

• Osho (11 December 1931 – 19 January 1990), born Chandra Mohan Jain , and also known as Acharya Rajneesh from the 1960s onwards, as Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh during the 1970s and 1980s and as Osho from 1989, was an Indian mystic, guru, and spiritual teacher who garnered an international following.
And when two persons are independent individuals, only then there is love. Love can flow only between two freedoms.
Freedom is a higher value than love
The American mind is so dollar-oriented that when it comes to a question of choosing between a dollar and God, he will choose the dollar—because God is going to be there forever. First use the dollar, then we will see about God. And, in fact, without the dollar how can you enter into the kingdom of God?... some baksheesh will be needed.
The woman is the only hope for humanity to survive
There are two types of living: fear-oriented and love-oriented
If you are happy, love will be flowing towards you
Mind’s whole function is to go on dividing. The function of the heart is to see the joining link about which the mind is completely blind.
People should be together out of love, sheer love
When you fall in love with a man, what happens?

Monday, 12 December 2011
« Last Edit: 12 Dec, 2011, 15:02:11 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - P

• Paine, Thomas (Tom Paine)
Reputation is what men and women think of us. Character is what God and the angels know of us.
My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.

• Palahniuk, Chuck (Charles Michael "Chuck" Palahniuk)
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever know.

• Paracelsus, (Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim)
    via Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving, Harper & Row, New York, 1956
He who knows nothing, loves nothing. He who can do nothing understands nothing. He who understands nothing is worthless. But he who understands also loves, notices, sees… The more knowledge is inherent in a thing, the greater the love. Anyone who imagines that all fruits ripen at the same time as the strawberries knows nothing about grapes.

• Pascal, Blaise
La vérité est si obscurcie en ce temps, et le mensonge si établi, qu'à moins que d'aimer la vérité, on ne saurait la connaître → Truth is so obscured in these times, and the lie so established, that, unless we love the truth, we cannot conceive it

• Pasteur, Louis
Ce sont les Grecs qui nous ont légué le plus beau mot de notre langue: le mot «enthousiasme» - du grec «en théo», un Dieu intérieur

• Pavese, Cesare
Una donna che non sia stupida presto o tardi incontra un rottame umano e prova a salvarlo. Qualche volta ci riesce. Ma una donna che non sia una stupida presto o tardi trova un uomo sano e lo riduce a rottame. Ci riesce sempre.
Non ci si uccide per amore di una donna. Ci si uccide perché un amore, qualunque amore, ci rivela nella nostra nudità, miseria, inermità, amore, disillusione, destino, morte.

• Paz, Octavio (Octavio Paz Lozano)
Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone

–– Knowledge is a wild thing and must be hunted before it can be tamed

— Ιn a hierarchy every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence

• Peters, R. S. (Richard Stanley Peters)
The good teacher is a guide who helps others to dispense with his services.

• Pfeiffer, Jane Cahill
It is not easy, but you have to be willing to make mistakes. And the earlier you make those mistakes, the better.

• Phelps, William Lyon
The happiest people are those who think the most interesting thoughts

• Phillips' Book of Great Thoughts & Funny Sayings:
He who is full of himself, is likely to be quite empty

–– The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives. We work to better ourselves, and the rest of humanity

• Picasso, Pablo
    (Pablo Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Picasso)
It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.

• Piglet (Winnie-the-Pooh)
“What day is it?” asked Pooh — “It’s today,” squeaked Piglet. — “My favorite day,” said Pooh.
Piglet: how do you spell love? Pooh: you don’t spell love, you feel it

• Pike, Albert
What we do for ourselves dies with us... what we do for others remains and is immortal.

• Pinter, Harold
When we look into a mirror we think the image that confronts us is accurate. But move a millimeter and the image changes. We are actually looking at a never-ending range of reflections. But sometimes a writer has to smash the mirror - for it is on the other side of that mirror that the truth stares at us.
(Nobel Lecture: Art, Truth & Politics)

• Plath, Sylvia
What does one woman see in another that a man cannot see? Tenderness.
I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between

• Plato (Πλάτων)
According to an old saying hard is it to learn what beautiful things are like; particularly, not of little importance is learning about names.
Let him take heart who does advance, even in the smallest degree.

• Plutarch (Πλούταρχος)
The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men.

— I was a child and she was a child,
In this kingdom by the sea,
But we loved with a love that was more than love
– I and my Annabel Lee –
With a love that the winged seraphs of Heaven
Coveted her and me.

• Poljak, Abram (Bram)
Knowledge without love is a cold light, a false light, which leads into the abyss.

• Prévert, Jacques
Les sorciers, lorsqu'ils font de terrifiantes conneries, on accuse toujours l'apprenti, Extrait de Fatra

• Pulovski, Nick (movie character in The Rookie (1990 film)
If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster!

Wednesday, 19 September 2012

« Last Edit: 19 Sep, 2012, 09:53:23 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - Q

• Quarles, Francis
If thou be rich, strive to command thy money, lest it command thee.

• Quignard, Pascal
Ecrire, trouver le mot, c'est éjaculer soudain.
Le silence est pour les oreilles ce que la nuit est pour les yeux.
Qu'est-ce que le bonheur ? Un émerveillement qui se dit à lui-même adieu.

• Quinn, Donald D.
If If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn't want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job.

Tuesday, 13 December 2011
« Last Edit: 13 Dec, 2011, 17:24:01 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - R

• Raleigh, Walter
If the heart be right, it matters not which way the head lies.
If thy friends be of better quality than thyself, thou mayest be sure of two things: the first, that they will be more careful to keep thy counsel, because they have more to lose than thou hast; the second, they will esteem thee for thyself, and not for that which thou dost possess. (Friends)
More quotes by Sir Walter Raleigh

• Rand, Ayn (Alisa Zinov'yevna Rosenbaum)
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one's values.

• Redfield, James
Life is really about a spiritual unfolding that is personal and enchanting—an unfolding that no science or philosophy or religion has yet fully clarified.
Dreams come to tell us something about our lives that we are missing

• Reeves, Hubert
À l'échelle cosmique, l'eau est plus rare que l'or.
Tuer pour le plaisir est un acte inhumain, indigne et dégradant.
Regarder loin, c'est regarder tôt.
Devenir adulte, c'est reconnaître, sans trop souffrir, que le Père Noël n'existe pas.
Estimer correctement son degré d'ignorance est une étape saine et nécessaire

• Richards, Ruth
We need a fuller language reflecting interconnection to appreciate who we are in our world and what can be done

• Richter
No one is more profoundly sad than he who laughs too much.

• Rilke, Rainer Maria (René Karl Wilhelm Johann Josef Maria Rilke)
Deeply I go down into myself
From: Letters to a young poet, translated by Stephen Mitchell:
—And in the man too there is motherhood, it seems to me, physical and mental; his engendering is also a kind of birthing, and it is birthing when he creates out of his innermost fullness. And perhaps the sexes are more akin than people think, and the great renewal of the world will perhaps consist in one phenomenon: that man and woman, freed from all mistaken feelings and aversions, will seek each other not as opposites but as brother and sister, as neighbors, and will unite as human beings, in order to bear in common, simply, earnestly, and patiently, the heavy sex that has been laid upon them...
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves
Words of love:
— Love is at first not anything that means merging, giving over, and uniting with another ... it is a high inducement to the individual to ripen, to become something in himself for another's sake, it is a great exacting claim upon him, something that chooses him out and calls him to vast things.

• Rimbaud, Arthur (Jean Nicolas Arthur Rimbaud)
Le tour de bonté serait plus long à se reproduire qu'une étoile → Πιο εύκολα επιστρέφει στη θέση του ένα αστέρι απ' ό,τι μια καλή στιγμή
More quotes by Arthur Rimbaud

• Robbins, Anthony
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got

• Robbins, Tom
It is never too late to have a happy childhood
Meditation... throws the ego out on its big brittle ass
Shine, don't whine and other Humorous Quotes by Tom Robbins

• Rodriguez, Alex
Therapy can be a good thing. It can be therapeutic.

• Roland, Étienne
Il ne s'agit pas de savoir si la Grèce est plus ou moins européenne, puisque les fondements même de l'Europe ne s'entendent pas sans l'hellénisme.

• Roosevelt, Eleanor
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent

• Rossetti, Dante Gabriel
Beauty without the beloved is like a sword through the heart

• Rothfuss, Patrick (Patrick James Rothfuss)
Ladies, gentlemen, and those of unaffiliated gender...
 — There is nothing quite so delightfully mysterious as a secret in your own backyard

• Rowling, J.K.
If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
(Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)

• Ruckelshaus, Jill
I have no hostility towards men. Some of my best friends are men. I married a man, and my father was a man.
More by (and about) Jill Ruckelshaus

• Rukeyser, Muriel
Breathe in experience, breathe out poetry

Why are you knocking at every door? Go, knock at the door of your own heart.
One day you will take my heart completely and make it more fiery than a dragon. Your eyelashes will write on my heart the poem that could never come from the pen of a poet.
Come let's fall in love again, let's turn all the dirt in this world to shiny gold
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
I have been a seeker and I still am. But I stopped asking the books and the stars. I started listening to the teaching of my soul.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.

• Ruskin, John
A good book is written not only to multiply and transmit speech, but to perpetuate it.

• Russell, Bertrand (Bertrand Arthur William Russell, 3rd Earl Russell)
Many people when they fall in love look for a little haven of refuge from the world, where they can be sure of being admired when they are not admirable, and praised when they are not praiseworthy.
If there were in the world today any large number of people who desired their own happiness more than they desired the unhappiness of others, we could have paradise in a few years.

Wednesday, 23 May 2012
« Last Edit: 23 May, 2012, 10:49:07 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - S

• Sabato, Ernesto
Escribir al menos para eternizar algo: un amor, un acto de heroísmo como el de Marcelo, un éxtasis

• Saint Exupéry, Antoine de (Antoine Marie Jean-Baptiste Roger de Saint-Exupéry)
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
Ce qui embellit le désert, dit le petit prince, c'est qu'il cache un puits quelque part...
Mais les yeux sont aveugles. Il faut chercher avec le cœur.
C’est triste d’oublier un ami. Tout le monde n’a pas eu un ami. Et je puis devenir comme les grandes personnes qui ne s’intéressent plus qu’aux chiffres
To forget a friend is sad. Not every one has had a friend. And if I forget him, I may become like the grown-ups who are no longer interested in anything but figures...
(The Little Prince written by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, translated by Katherine Woods)
Le Petit Prince, citations (Quotations from The Little Prince)

• Samuelson, Paul (Paul Anthony Samuelson)
When the whole world is mad tis folly to be sane.

• Sangharakshita (Dennis Philip Edward Lingwood)
"What do you do for a living?" I asked.
His hand shook so badly, as he lit another cigarette, that he knocked over the whisky bottle at his elbow.
"Oh I'm a psychiatrist," he said. "I help people who have problems."

• Schlink, Bernhard
Now to escape involves not just running away, but arriving somewhere.
The truth of what one says lies in what one does.

• Schoch, Manuel
The best protection from not getting ill is love (Why People Don't Heal)
Aggression is a symptom of fear, which in turn is a symptom of sadness, and sadness is a symptom of love.
All psychological problems are in effect relationship problems

• Schopenhauer, Arthur
Every parting gives a foretaste of death; every coming together again a foretaste of the resurrection

• Schubert, Franz Peter
Want and sorrow are the gifts which folly earns for itself.
When I wished to sing of love, it turned to sorrow. And when I wished to sing of sorrow, it was transformed for me into love.

• Schweitzer, Albert
Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory
There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats.

• Seuss (Dr. Seuss)
Theodor Seuss Geisel was an American writer, poet, and cartoonist most widely known for his children's books written under the pen names Dr. Seuss, Theo LeSieg and, in one case, Rosetta Stone.
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind

• Sexton, Anne
It doesn't matter who my father was, it matters who I remember he was.
God owns heaven but He craves the earth.
The beautiful feeling after writing a poem is on the whole better even than after sex, and that's saying a lot.
Live or die, but don't poison everything

• Sexton, Robert
Sometimes your nearness takes my breath away; and all the things I want to say can find no voice. Then, in silence, I can only hope my eyes will speak my heart.

• Shah, Idries (Idris Shah | Sayed Idries el-Hashimi)
For the sake of humanity, what would you like to see happen?" Idries Shah said: "What I would really want, in case anybody is listening, is for the products of the last 50 years of psychological research to be studied by the public, by everybody, so that the findings become part of their way of thinking (...) they have this great body of psychological information and refuse to use it.

• Shakespeare, William
Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt.
Blow, winds, and crack your cheeks! rage! blow!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player that struts and frets his hour upon the stage.
love is blind and lovers cannot see
Parting is such sweet sorrow, That I shall say good night till it be morrow,
(Romeo And Juliet, Act 2, scene 2, 176–185)
Doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt I love,
(Words of love)

• Shantideva
All those who suffer in the world do so because of their desire for their own happiness

• Shaw, George Bernard
He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches
If you injure your neighbour, better not do it by halves.
Why should we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't!
from Pygmalion (Play):
You find me cold, unfeeling, selfish, dont you? Very well: be off with you to the sort of people you like. Marry some sentimental hog or other with lots of money, and a thick pair of lips to kiss you with and a thick pair of boots to kick you with. If you cant appreciate what youve got, youd better get what you can appreciate.

• Shields, Brooke (Brooke Christa Shields)
Smoking kills. If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life.
Don't waste a minute not being happy. If one window closes, run to the next window—or break down a door.

• Singh, Darshan (Darshan Singh | Sant Mat)
Love has only a beginning; it has no end.

• Singh, Rajinder (Sant Rajinder Singh Ji Maharaj | Sant Mat)
Love is the only commodity that increases when you give it away
Examine every religion and one finds meditation at the heart of the mystic experience. There is no outer road to God; it all lies within.

• Sittenfeld, Curtis (Elizabeth Curtis Sittenfeld)
We have to make mistakes, its how we learn compassion for others.
There are people we treat wrong and later, we're prepared to treat other people right.
Ιf a man wants to be romantically involved with you, he tries to kiss you.
Nothing broke my heart like the slow death of a shared joke that had once seemed genuinely funny.

• smiles
No one needs a smile as much as a person who fails to give one.

• Smiles, Samuel
A book is a living voice. It is an intellect to which one still listens
El libro es una voz viviente. Es una inteligencia que nos habla y que escuchamos
Hope is like the sun, which, as we journey toward it, casts the shadow of our burden behind us.

• Solzhenitsyn, Aleksandr (Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn)
Violence, less and less embarrassed by the limits imposed by centuries of lawfulness, is brazenly and victoriously striding across the whole world
One should never direct people towards happiness, because happiness too is an idol of the market-place. One should direct them towards mutual affection.

• Sophocles (Σοφοκλής)
To those who err in judgment, not in will, anger is gentle.
To exert his power in doing good is man's most glorious task.

• Southey, Robert
Ιt is with words as with sunbeams. The more they are condensed, the deeper they burn.

• Spielberg, Steven Allan
I never felt comfortable with myself, because I was never part of the majority. I always felt awkward and shy and on the outside of the momentum of my friends' lives.

• Steinem, Gloria (Gloria Marie Steinem)
A liberated woman is one who has sex before marriage and a job after.
Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.

• Stendhal (Marie-Henri Beyle)
La seule excuse de Dieu, c'est qu'il n'existe pas
De l'amour, Cristallisation | Περί Έρωτος, Κρυστάλλωση
Posséder n'est rien, c'est jouir qui fait tout
The only excuse for God is that he does not exist

• Strindberg, August (Johan August Strindberg)
What people call success is only preparation for the next failure
Αυτό που οι άνθρωποι ονομάζουν επιτυχία δεν είναι παρά προετοιμασία για την επόμενη αποτυχία

Sunday, 03 June 2012

« Last Edit: 03 Jun, 2012, 09:51:01 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - T

• Tagore, Rabindranath
Death is not extinguishing the light; it is only putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
Facts are many, but the truth is one.
Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.
We gain freedom when we have paid the full price.

• Talmud
He alone is poor who does not possess knowledge.
He who can feel ashamed will not readily do wrong.
Commit a sin twice, and it will not seem to thee a sin.

• Tart, Charles Τ. (Dr. Charles T. Tart)
The dreams we have while we are awake, however, get us into a lot of trouble, because we are not in clear, accurate touch with what is going on around us, yet we act and we reap the consequences of our actions.
[...]most of the people you see in the street are dead.

• Theophrastus (Θεόφραστος)
Petty ambition would seem to be a mean craving after distinction.

• Thibon, Gustave
L'amour ne pèse pas, cette branche ne casse que si l'oiseau posé sur elle s'envole,
 "ce qui peut me briser, ce n'est pas que tu t'appuies trop sur moi, c'est que tu m'abandonnes."

Ne se sentir heureux que par comparaison, c'est se condamner à n'être jamais vraiment heureux,
car il faut toujours se démener pour rejoindre ou pour dépasser quelqu'un.

J'aime mieux rêver mon âme que vivre ma vie.
Justifier Dieu, c'est justifier une certaine conception qu'on a de Dieu et c'est, par conséquent, se justifier soi-même.

• Thompson, Hunter S. (Hunter Stockton Thompson)
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
More quotes by Hunter S. Thompson

• Thoreau, Henry David
As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler; solitude will not be solitude, poverty will not be poverty, nor weakness weakness.
That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest.
The most I can do for my friend is simply to be his friend. I have no wealth to bestow on him. If he knows that I am happy in loving him, he will want no other reward. Is not friendship divine in this?
There is no remedy for love but to love more → Il n'y a qu'un remède à l'amour : aimer davantage

• Tolle, Eckhart
What is conventionally called “love” is an ego strategy to avoid surrender

Power of now
A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years
When your life situation is all you know about yourself, then you miss life...
To the ego, the present moment hardly exists. Only past and future are considered important
Pleasure is always derived from something outside you, whereas joy arises from within
The pain that you create now is always some form of non acceptance, some form of unconscious resistance to what is

A New Earth: Create a Better Life
Pay attention to the gap — the gap between two thoughts
The absurd over-valuation of fame is just one of the many manifestations of egoic madness in our world
Whatever behavior the ego manifests, the hidden motivating force is always the same: the need to stand out, be special, be in control
All you need to know and observe in yourself is this: whenever you feel superior or inferior to anyone, that’s the ego in you
The stronger the ego in you, the more likely it is that in your perception other people are the main source of problems in your life
The extent of the ego’s inability to recognize itself and see what it is doing is staggering and unbelievable
There is nothing that strengthens the ego more than being right
Every ego is a master of selective perception and distorted interpretation
Fighting unconsciousness will draw you into unconsciousness yourself
Compassion arises when you recognize that all are suffering from the same sickness of the mind, some more acutely than others
Some egos, if they cannot get praise or admiration, will settle for other forms of attention and play roles to elicit them
What is commonly called “falling in love” is in most cases and intensification of egoic wanting and needing
Whatever you think the world is withholding from you, you are withholding from the world.
Very unconscious people experience their own ego through its reflection in others
Stupidity is relatively harmless, but intelligent stupidity is highly dangerous
If you think you are so enlightened, go and spend a week with your parents.
The joy of Being, which is the only true happiness, can not come to you through any form, possession, achievement, person, or event
Nonresistance is the key to the greatest power in the universe
You cannot make the egoless state into a future goal and then work toward it
So instead of adding time to yourself, remove time. The elimination of time from your consciousness is the elimination of ego.
Nothing is going to make us free because only the present moment can make us free
It isn’t the action you perform that you really enjoy, but the deep sense of aliveness that flows into it
When you make the present moment, instead of past and future, the focal point of your life, your ability to enjoy what you do
If you are not taking responsibility for your state of consciousness, you are not taking responsibility for life
What the future holds for you depends on your state of consciousness now

• Tomlinson, Cybele
Yoga is about clearing away whatever is in us that prevents our living in the most full and whole way

• Toomer, Jean
We do not possess imagination enough to sense what we are missing.
People mistake their limitations for high standards
Fear is a noose that binds until it strangles
The realization of ignorance is the first act of knowing.

How do we know when a translation is good?
Translation criticism is an essential link between translation theory and its practice
The original is unfaithful to the translation.
En vérité, la traduction doit ressembler à une belle femme fidèle: elle doit être belle et fidèle au sens bien qu’on dise que si la traduction est belle, elle n’est pas fidèle et si elle est fidèle, elle n’est pas belle.
Translation is like a woman, if she is beautiful, she is not faithful; if she is faithful, she is not beautiful.
What makes literature interesting is that it does not survive its translation.
Power is the capacity to translate intention into reality and sustain it.
It is as impossible to translate poetry as it is to translate music
Poetry is what is lost in translation
more quotations on translation | translation quotes

• Translator
The translator is clearly the only true reader of a text, certainly more than any critic, perhaps even more than its author. The critic of a text engages in nothing more than an ephemeral courtship with it, its author is its father or husband, but the translator is its lover.

• Twain, Mark (Samuel Langhorne Clemens)
In the first place God made idiots. This was for practice. Then he made proof-readers
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything
Whenever I feel the need to exercise, I lie down until it goes away

Wednesday, 03 October 2012
« Last Edit: 03 Oct, 2012, 11:05:06 by Frederique »

Frederique

Frederique

• Quotations index - V

• Van Gogh, Vincent (Vincent Willem van Gogh)
Conscience is a man's compass
I wish they would only take me as I am.

• Vasconcelos, José (José María Albino Vasconcelos Calderón)
Un libro, como un viaje, se comienza con inquietud y se termina con melancolía

• Vladimov, Guéorgui
Il n'existe pas un pouce de terre où une créature n'en garde une autre

• Voltaire, François-Marie Arouet
Love is a canvas furnished by Nature and embroidered by imagination (Words of love)
le mieux est l’ennemi du bien

• von Hochheim, Eckhart (commonly known as Meister Eckhart)
Meister Eckhart on humility:
If God is to be a giver, he must first find a taker, but no one may be a taker of God's gifts except by his humility. Therefore, if God is to exercise his divine property by his gifts, he well may need my humility; for apart from humility he can give me nothing - without it I am not prepared to receive his gift. That is why it is true that by humility I give divinity to God.
Time is what keeps the light from reaching us. There is no greater obstacle to God than time.

• Vonnegut, Kurt
I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should.
Find a subject you care about and which you in your heart feel others should care about.
It is this genuine caring, not your games with language, which will be the most compelling and seductive element in your style.
Quotations

Saturday, 21 January 2012

« Last Edit: 21 Jan, 2012, 09:41:28 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - W

What does it mean to be humble? It means always recognizing our need to ask for help
When death, the great reconciler, has come, it is never our tenderness that we repent of, but our severity
Worrying is the interest paid on a debt you may not owe.

• Waits, Tom
I like a beautiful song that tells you terrible things. We all like bad news out of a pretty mouth.
Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
My kids are starting to notice I'm a little different from the other dads.
The piano has been drinking, not me.

• Warren, Elizabeth (born Elizabeth Herring)
There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody. You built a factory out there—good for you! But I want to be clear. You moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for. You hired workers the rest of us paid to educate. You were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for.   

• Warren, Rick (Richard Duane)
The purpose of influence is to speak up for those who have no influence
Every time I give, it breaks the grip of materialism in my life.

• Weir, Peter Lindsay
No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

• West, Mae (Mary Jane West)
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
 A woman in love can't be reasonable — or she probably wouldn't be in love. (Words of love)
 An ounce of performance is worth pounds of promises..
 Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly.

• West, Morris (Morris Langlo West)
 Ever since the Greeks, we have been drunk with language!
Morris West in his book "Harlequin"
 If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine.

• Whitman, Walt
And your flesh shall be a great poem
Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks
I no doubt deserved my enemies, but I don't believe I deserved my friends.
A morning-glory at my window satisfies me more than the metaphysics of books.

• Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Imagine a world without free knowledge

• Wilde, Oscar
All modes of government are failures.
In this world, there are two tragedies. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars (Lady Windermere's Fan)
I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.
More quotes by Oscar Wilde (Phrases and Philosophies for the Use of the Young

• Williamson, Marianne
Joy, has no cost.
Love is what we were born with. Fear is what we learned here.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure

• Wittgenstein, Ludwig (Ludwig Josef Johann Wittgenstein)
What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent

• Wolfe, Thomas (Thomas Clayton Wolfe)
You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, or publicity
Most of the time we think we're sick, it's all in the mind.
Loneliness is and always has been the central and inevitable experience of every man

• Wolff, Virginia Euwer
Some people make a bad bed, they just have to lie in it.
Fiction must stick to facts, and the truer the facts the better the fiction

• Woolf, Virginia (Adeline Virginia Woolf)
Against you I will fling myself, unvanquished and unyielding, O Death!
I am ready to meet my Maker.
Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter.
(Her epitaph)

— If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people.

• Wright, Steven (Steven Alexander Wright)
Do Lipton employees take coffee breaks?
Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.
Quotations:
— A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good.
— A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.
— OK, so what's the speed of dark?
— How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?
— If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
— What happens if you get scared half to death twice?
— To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.
— The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.
— Everyone has a photographic memory; some just don't have film.

more quotations

Wednesday, 23 May 2012
« Last Edit: 23 May, 2012, 10:05:41 by Frederique »

Frederique

« Last Edit: 19 Nov, 2011, 10:07:39 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - Y

• Yeats, W. B (William Butler Yeats)
There are no strangers here; Only friends you haven't yet met.

• Yesenin, Sergei Alexandrovich (Серге́й Алекса́ндрович Есе́нин)
Whom shall I call on? Who will share with me the wretched happiness of staying alive?

Monday, 16 April 2012
« Last Edit: 16 Apr, 2012, 09:36:04 by Frederique »

Frederique

• Quotations index - Z

Wednesday, 21 December 2011
« Last Edit: 21 Dec, 2011, 19:10:43 by Frederique »

Frederique

ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ

Τελευταία ενημέρωση ευρετηρίου: Πέμπτη, 26 Ιουλίου 2012 - Last update of our index: Thursday, July 26, 2012

• Ευρετήριο αποφθεγμάτων - Α

• Αγάπη
Η αγάπη είναι μία προσωρινή τρέλα. Εκρήγνυται όπως το ηφαίστειο και μετά καταλαγιάζει. Και όταν καταλαγιάσει πρέπει να πάρεις μία απόφαση.
Aγαπώ σημαίνει ζω. Αγαπιέμαι σημαίνει αξίζω. Αγαπιέμαι και αγαπώ σημαίνει αξίζω να ζω.
Αυτά που αγαπάς πραγματικά, όταν σε αγαπούν κι αυτά, δεν φεύγουν
Αληθινή αγάπη δεν είναι εκείνη που αντέχει το μακροχρόνιο χωρισμό, αλλά εκείνη που αντέχει τη μακροχρόνια οικειότητα.
Αγάπη που υπήρχε και τώρα δεν υπάρχει, δεν υπήρξε ποτέ
Η αγάπη που ξεκινά απ' τη σάρκα και τελειώνει στο πνεύμα είναι η πραγματική αγάπη
Τα λάθη είναι μεγάλα όπου η Αγάπη είναι μικρή.
Όσο υπάρχει αγάπη στον κόσμο, υπάρχει και ελπίδα
Αγάπα και κάνε ό,τι θέλεις (Άγιος Θωμάς Ακινάτης, Θωμάς του Ακουΐν ή Ακουΐνο)

• Αγανακτισμένοι
Χορτάσαμε από σωτήρες της χώρας με φουσκωμένους τραπεζικούς λογαριασμούς
Είμαι 9 και ήδη αγανακτισμένη. Ήρθα να διεκδικήσω το μέλλον μου. Εσύ κάτσε στον καναπέ σου... Θα παλέψω εγώ για σένα!

— Τόσες εφημερίδες, τόσοι εκδότες, τόσοι λίγοι αναγνώστες...
— Follow your heart, λοιπόν, και σε ό,τι μελετάς και σπουδάζεις φρόντιζε να είσαι καλός. Για σένα, όχι για τους άλλους...
— Αγαπάς την ελληνική γλώσσα; Απόδειξέ το!
— Αφοπλιστική ειλικρίνεια! Θέλει θάρρος για να ομολογήσει ένας μεταφραστής ότι φταίει για τα λάθη του[...]
— Πάντως, σκέφτομαι ενίοτε ότι τα καλύτερα πράγματα γίνονται κατά λάθος :)
— Το Translatum μ' έχει βοηθήσει αμέτρητες φορές σε μεταφραστικές αναζητήσεις[...]

Θα 'θελα νάμουνα κοχλιός, να 'ρθω στη γειτονιά σου, να γράψω με το σάλιο μου, ψεύτικα που 'ταν τα φιλιά σου
Όλα θα πάνε καλά στο τέλος. Αν δεν είναι καλά, τότε δεν είναι το τέλος.
Όλο και περισσότεροι άνθρωποι συνειδητοποιούν ότι η ζωή τους και η ζωή του πλανήτη Γη δεν είναι δυο διαφορετικά πράγματα – είναι μέρη του ίδιου συνόλου
Όταν πεθάνω θέλω να με θάψουν οι φίλοι μου γιατί το έχουν ξανακάνει
Όταν πεθάνω θέλω να με θάψουν οι εχθροί μου, γιατί όσο ζούσα μ' έθαβαν οι φίλοι μου
Πίνω αλκοόλ για να πνίξω τα προβλήματά μου. Δυστυχώς αυτά γνωρίζουν πολύ καλό κολύμπι!
Στηβ, σε κάλεσα κοντά μου για να μου φτιάξεις μια συσκευή ώστε να επικοινωνώ καλύτερα με τους ανθρώπους. I god.
Γιατί περισσεύει τόσος μήνας στο τέλος των χρημάτων;
Μη βγαίνεις ραντεβού με το πιο όμορφο άτομο στον κόσμο,
αλλά βγες με το άτομο που κάνει τον κόσμο σου πιο όμορφο.
Οι άνθρωποι πραγματικά έχουν πλάκα.
Ξοδεύουν χρήματα που δεν έχουν για να αγοράσουν πράγματα που δεν χρειάζονται για να εντυπωσιάσουν ανθρώπους που δεν γουστάρουν.
Δευτέρα το καταλαβαίνω. Αλλά Σάββατο; Γίνεται να μην μ' αγαπάς Σάββατο;
Η έκφραση «γυμνή αλήθεια» έχει εφευρεθεί για να μπορεί ο καθένας να την ντύνει όπως τον συμφέρει.
Mια γυναίκα με οδήγησε στο ποτό και ποτέ δεν βρήκα την ευκαιρία να την ευχαριστήσω.
Ο ομφάλιος λώρος στην Ελλάδα κόβεται με τον θάνατο της μάνας.
Οι μικρές καλοσύνες, οι μικρές αβρότητες, οι μικρές συμπόνιες, όταν γίνουν δεύτερη φύση στις κοινωνικές μας επαφές, καθιστούν το χαρακτήρα πολύ γοητευτικότερο απ’ ό,τι η επίδειξη μεγάλων ταλέντων και επιτευγμάτων.
Όλοι είμαστε άγγελοι αλλά με ένα φτερό...Για να πετάξουμε, αρκεί ν' αγκαλιάσουμε ο ένας τον άλλο.
Οι μεγάλοι άνθρωποι μιλούν για ιδέες. Οι μέτριοι άνθρωποι μιλούν για γεγονότα. Οι μικροί άνθρωποι μιλούν για τους άλλους.
(Πλάτων; άλλοι το καταχωρούν στην Roosevelt, Eleanor άλλοι στον Rickover, Hyman G. ). Όποιος και να το είπε, είναι πολύ καλό!

• Αίσωπος
Η ευγνωμοσύνη είναι το σημάδι της ευγενικής ψυχής.

• Άλεν Γούντι (Allen, Woody)
Για κάποιο λόγο με εκτιμούν πιο πολύ στην Ευρώπη παρά στην πατρίδα μου. Οι υπότιτλοι εκεί πρέπει να είναι εξαιρετικοί.

• «Άν»
Αν δεν ασχοληθείς καθόλου και μόνος σου με οτιδήποτε δεν το μαθαίνεις
Αν μοναδικό σου όπλο είναι το σφυρί, όλα τα προβλήματα θα τα βλέπεις σαν καρφιά
Αν φοβάσαι μην το κάνεις, αν το κάνεις μη φοβάσαι

• Αναγνωστάκης Μανόλης
[...]Κι όρθια η Πράξη σαν αλεξικέραυνο[...]

• Ανακρέων (Ανακρέων από την Τεώ της Μ. Ασίας 570-485 π.Χ)
Τους υποχθόνιους και τους υποκριτές,
και όσους κάνουν μπαμπεσιές καθόλου δεν τους πάω.
Σ' έχω πια μάθει Μεγιστή, είσαι κι εσύ από δαύτους.

• Ανδριωτάκης Μανώλης
[...] Tον τιμήσαμε με μισή καρδιά και τον σκοτώσαμε στην κρύα άσφαλτο [...]

• Απόδημος ελληνισμός
Αγάπη για την πατρίδα είναι να διαδίδεις τα μηνύματα του ελληνισμού-ανθρωπισμού στα πέρατα της οικουμένης.

• Αρβελέρ Ελένη Γλύκατζη
Έχουμε την αναίδεια να λέμε ότι δεν είμαστε Ρωμιοί!

• Αρζόγλου Κώστας
Καταλαβαίνω πόσο αγάπησα τον άλλο χωρίζοντας

• Αρίστιππος (Αρίστιππος ο Κυρηναίος)
Ένας πατέρας ζήτησε από τον Αρίστιππο να διδάξει τον γιο του.
Ο φιλόσοφος ζήτησε ως αμοιβή 500 δραχμές. Ο πατέρας θεώρησε υπερβολικό το ποσό. «Με τόσα χρήματα», είπε, «θα μπορούσα να αγοράσω ένα ζώο». «Αγόρασε», είπε ο Αρίστιππος, «κι έτσι θα έχεις δύο».

• Αριστοτέλης
Πληροφορήθηκε ο Αριστοτέλης από κάποιον ότι μερικοί τον έβριζαν.
Ο φιλόσοφος απάντησε: «Καθόλου δεν με νοιάζει. Όταν είμαι απών, δέχομαι ακόμα και να με μαστιγώνουν».

• Αριστοφάνης
Η ηλιθιότητα κατά τον Αριστοφάνη:
Νεαρές ηλικίες, η ανωριμότητα γίνεται ωριμότητα, η αδιαφορία μπορεί να ξεπεραστεί και το μεθύσι μπορεί να γίνει νηφαλιότητα, αλλά η ηλιθιότητα κρατάει για πάντα!

• Αρναούτογλου Γρηγόρης
Δεν γουστάρω να μ' αγαπάει κανείς, θέλω μόνο να με σέβονται.

• Ατάκες ελληνικού κινηματογράφου
«Το σπίτι μου καμένο... να 'χω ένα τάφο να πηγαίνω...» Όμως σταματά: «Παντελή, ήταν λίγο υπερβολικό. Μήπως να το ξαναπάμε»;
(Θανάσης Βέγγος)
Η Αλίκη στο ναυτικό
(διάλογος ανάμεσα σε δύο ναύτες:)
- Κοιμάσαι;
- Όχι. Δεν μπορώ να κοιμηθώ...
- Σκέφτεσαι το κορίτσι σου;
- Όχι! Έφαγα πολύ πεπόνι...

Όταν έχεις λεφτά Ανάργυρε μπορείς να αφήσεις τη συνείδησή σου να κοιμάται μόνη της κι εσύ να κοιμάσαι με την καλύτερη ερωμένη.
(«Κάλπικη Λίρα», 1955)

• Άτγουντ Μάργκαρετ (Atwood, Margaret)
Οι Εσκιμώοι είχαν πενήντα δύο λέξεις για το χιόνι επειδή ήταν σημαντικό γι’ αυτούς. Θα έπρεπε να υπήρχαν τόσες λέξεις και για την αγάπη.

Επιστροφή στην αρχή

Πέμπτη, 26 Ιουλίου 2012

→ «Β»
« Last Edit: 26 Jul, 2012, 13:55:47 by Frederique »

Frederique

ΑΒΓΔΕΖΗΘΙΚΛΜΝΞΟΠΡΣΤΥΦΧΨΩ

• Ευρετήριο αποφθεγμάτων - Β

• Βαμβουνάκη Μάρω
Υπάρχουν, εξάλλου, περιπτώσεις, όπου το «φεύγω» είναι πράξη ύψιστης αγάπης, σεβασμού και αυτοσεβασμού
(Το φάντασμα της αξόδευτης αγάπης)
Υπάρχουν μάτια όμως που από το πουθενά εμφανίζονται μια στιγμή μπρος μας, βυθίζονται στα δικά μας μάτια και αξιώνουν: «Εδώ θα μείνεις», ή «Σε περίμενα».
(Τα πράγματα που ζουν απ' τον χαμό)
Πως οι μεγάλες αγάπες καταδέχονται μόνο τις μεγάλες, γενναίες ψυχές. Πως οι σπουδαίες ιστορίες διαλέγουν εκείνους που, από πίστη, ρισκάρουν την ψυχή τους.
 (Τα πράγματα που ζουν απ' τον χαμό)
Το πόσο ξένος είναι ο άλλος, στις πιο τρικυμισμένες ώρες των ερώτων μας το διαπιστώνουμε.
Εκεί που πας να τον αρπάξεις για σωτήρια λέμβο, ανακαλύπτεις πως αυτός ακριβώς είναι η πιο μαύρη θάλασσα του κινδύνου σου.
(Ο αντίπαλος εραστής, εκδόσεις Φιλιππότη, 2001)
Η αγάπη, ανάμεσα σε υγιείς προσωπικότητες, είναι μόνο αμοιβαία. Ας μη ζητάμε όμως να είναι αμοιβαίες και οι προσφορές. Η υπέρβαση της ανταμοιβής είναι μεγάλη ελευθερία και, όπως είπαμε, είναι οι ελεύθεροι και οι δυνατοί που αξιώνονται τις δυνατές σχέσεις, τα μεγάλα αισθήματα.
(Το φάντασμα της αξόδευτης αγάπης, σελ. 97)
Είμαστε τόσο λεπτοδουλεμένα φίλαυτοι, που έχουμε ανάγκη τον εκβιασμό της οδύνης.
(Ο Ντάνκαν γυρεύει το Θεό, σ. 65)
Ο εγωισμός έχει δύο δρόμους να ακολουθήσει, προκειμένου να ξεδιψάσει τις αξεδίψαστες ανάγκες του.
Δύο τρόπους για να ικανοποιήσει το διαρκώς ανικανοποίητό του. Θα τους θυμάμαι σαν μοτίβο επαναλαμβανόμενο σε κάθε ευκαιρία.
Πρώτο: Με το να είμαι αξιοθαύμαστος. Και δεύτερο, στην περίπτωση που δεν κατορθώνω το πρώτο: Με το να είμαι αξιολύπητος.
(Ο παλιάτσος και η Άνιμα)

• Βέγγος Θανάσης
Έπρεπε να γεράσω, αγόρι μου, για να μάθω τι είναι ευτυχία

• Βιτγκενστάιν Λούντβιχ (Wittgenstein, Ludwig)
Μπορούμε να πούμε ξεκάθαρα οτιδήποτε μπορεί να ειπωθεί. Και, για όσα δεν μπορούν να ειπωθούν, πρέπει να σιωπούμε.

• Βολταίρος Φρανσουά Μαρί Αρουέ (Voltaire, François-Marie Arouet)
Η δουλειά κατά τον Βολταίρο:
Η δουλειά μας κρατάει μακριά από τρία κακά: ανία, ανηθικότητα, φτώχεια

• Βούδας (από το βιβλίο του Χορχέ Μπουκάι, Από την άγνοια στη σοφία, μετάφραση: Κρίτων Ηλιόπουλος)
Αν δεν σου έχει προκύψει αγάπη για τους άλλους, τότε έχεις διανύσει μόνο το μισό δρόμο.

• Βρεττάκος Νικηφόρος
Ξημέρωνε αντίκρυ μας σαν να ζωγράφιζαν άγγελοι.
Ήταν η ανάγκη να απαλλαγώ από τα βάρη που με φόρτωναν οι εξωτερικοί πομποί, για να μπορέσω να υπάρξω

Επιστροφή στην αρχή

Τετάρτη, 18 Ιουλίου 2012
« Last Edit: 26 Jul, 2012, 13:02:54 by Frederique »

Search Tools