Looking for a translation...

Guest · 5 · 4366

JW

Hello,

I'm looking for the closest Greek word to "Γαρρα".  Pronounced "gara" or "garra".  Maybe even "garrak".  The closest thing I found to it was "cheat" or "rogue", but I only found this translation in one place.  It is part of a phrase I heard once:  Γαρρα Θάνατος  which I know has something to do with death, but I can't figure out the garra part.  Any ideas what the "garra" word may be?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Sorry JW.

Nobody can help help you since the word you mentioned neither makes any sense nor does it resemble any other word.

Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Yavanian

No such word in Greek, I am affraid.....
However, there is a Greek (more than likely borrowed from our northern neighbours) word "Gara"(Γκαρα), which derives from the verb "garizw" (Γκαριζω)= to bray like an ass (donkey).....
Also: Τhe word "Youra" (yourousi), Γιουρα =Attack could be realated to what you are looking for. It would be great a help if you were to cite the whole sentence.
Merci. Michael.

JW

No such word in Greek, I am affraid.....
However, there is a Greek (more than likely borrowed from our northern neighbours) word "Gara"(Γκαρα), which derives from the verb "garizw" (Γκαριζω)= to bray like an ass (donkey).....
Also: Τhe word "Youra" (yourousi), Γιουρα =Attack could be realated to what you are looking for. It would be great a help if you were to cite the whole sentence.
Merci. Michael.
Thank you very much for the reply, Michael.  Merci beaucoups :)

The full phrase I am hoping to translate is "Gara thanatos".  Or "Garak thanatos", something along those lines.  Someone said it to me a while ago and I've always wanted to translate it.  It obviously has something to do with "death" (thanatos), but the "gara" or "garak" part seems to be a little more difficult.  Does it help to have the whole context?  Perhaps there is another Greek word that people use in an expression about "thanatos" that resembles "gara".  Thanks for the help.

Search Tools