drzeus

drzeus · 11 · 3325

drzeus

• Semi-Newbie
Hi all out there!
Been living and working in Greece for far too much of my youth and now entering that middle aged region!
Wouldn't leave for anything (well, except better pay perhaps!).
Spend most of my time translating/editing scientific papers.
Live with my other half and my adorable cat - Mitsos, in Athens ... still (sighs heavily!).
Always found this place a mine of information and a great place to wander.
So I thought I would finally join.
Glad to be here.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Welcome drzeus! Would you share your us your name/sex.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Good to have you here, drzeus. Please tell us your name, too! :-)
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Petty

Hey we are in a forum. We "hide" ourselves behind our nicks. So leave him be...he is drzeus as Im Petty :p
Chieftain Of The Ratlings*Tactician*Diplomat*One Tribe*Jade Hand*Keeper Of Shinnys Shinnys

drzeus

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks for the welcome folks.
Yeah anonymity is one of the most wonderful things about the internet!
So I am still anon as DZ, but then I am not a 'he' ;-)

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Hey we are in a forum. We "hide" ourselves behind our nicks. So leave him be...he is drzeus as Im Petty :p

Well, this is a forum of friends and colleagues mainly, so we do like to know at least peoples' first names and sex if you don't mind.

banned8

I understand people's wish for anonymity and I can easily call Petty "Petty", but sometimes nicknames can be awkward. I personally prefer people to call me Νίκο or Nick rather than nickel or Mr Nickel (especially since they are certain to ... mispronounce it — nothing to do with the metallic element: it is actually the pronunciation of Nick L., my favourite way of signing my name in English).

I do, however, consider it important to know the person's sex (I thought, Spiros, you had made it mandatory to fill in the relevant field) because, in Greek more than in English, we have a problem with genders, especially when it comes to adjectives. So we have to wait until the person hiding behind the nickname makes a revelatory use of an adjective, as in:

και δεν είμαι σίγουρη τι αριθμό

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
(I thought, Spiros, you had made it mandatory to fill in the relevant field)

Due to code update a few things have changed and I am slowly restoring them.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun, 2006, 16:41:06 by spiros »

banned8

Due to code upgrade a few things have changed and I am slowly restoring them.

Mystery explained.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
I understand people's wish for anonymity

To tell you the truth, I don't really understand this wish. Anonymous complaints, statements etc actually make no sense to me most of the times. Anonymity makes me think that people are ashamed or afraid of their own name or fame(???) - which finally means that I can accept anonymity as an acquired right but I can hardly understand it. Anyway, that's me and anybody else can disagree.:-)
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

drzeus

• Semi-Newbie
Anonymity is an odd thing, I personally prefer it for various reasons, mostly to do with security, and I have to say I prefer our gender remaining a mystery too, for one very basic reason. No gender - then gender becomes a complete non-issue. I am an odd girlie, my interests include modelling (with wood/plastic not in designer labels!), astronomy, pc's, cars, and, that generally (here comes a completely sexist statement ;-)) hated-by-Greek-women sport of football!! As a girl in a largely male internet environment, as regards the places I like to frequent, I became anonymous for the simple reason that I got tired of gender-coloured responses to questions posted or comments made. Perhaps you have to be a girl to be aware of such a phenomenon (or perhaps a guy in a traditionally girlie sphere would know). I have broad shoulders, I can take it, but I got tired of having to, so now I don't. In an ideal world always being able to use our real first names would be great but I can't see it makes any difference to you out there whether I am called Freda, Frankie or Ferdinand, as long as you have a name by which to identify me (which by now I am sure you have noted in your head as prat!). Whatever! I don't need to know anyone's real name, nor do I want to pigeonhole them under any preconceived ideas I may have (and we all have them whether we realise it or not!). Being anonymous and genderless (and even ageless) helps me personally to do that. Each to his own. So endeth my treatise for today ;-)
« Last Edit: 08 Jun, 2006, 14:38:02 by nickel »

Search Tools