Αργοπορημένη αυτοσύσταση

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Στην Ελλάδα με λένε Βασίλη, but my given name is Bill.  Though I'm shy and do cherish the anonymity championed by drzeus (on different grounds, of course), the real reason for the lateness of this personal introduction is my long-standing (and now fallen) determination to write one in Greek, for I wanted to match the spirit and tone of this Forum as closely as possible.  Too much time passed as I attempted to screw up the courage to do so—in vain, for I finally realized that your English is so much better than my Greek, I would only succeed in embarrassing myself and trying your patience.  As Alexandra points out, the Forum is unique among "chat" sites for maintaining a high level of literacy.  So let me not contribute to a lowering of standards here.

I've lived and travelled in Greece 7 times since my year of archaeological study in Athens and Corinth (1960-61).  My third trip included the breathtaking experience of the Junta's overthrow and the toppling of the phoenix in every village plateia.  My wife and I were there again last summer, and, while witnessing the appalling changes wrought by membership in the EU, were comforted by the intangible things that never change, and that will bring us back again and again.  Thοugh the north Oregon coast (where we live) has its virtues, I will always miss Greece when I'm not there.

So for me, this Forum is an excellent ersatz, an ever-fresh and refreshing tonic.  I enjoy the laughter among you (both ribald and philosophical), follow avidly the get-togethers in Athenian (and soon, I hope, Thessalonician) tavernas and cafes, and am learning more Greek from you now than I learned in years of study and travel.  Like yourselves, my wife is a translator (Japanese and English), so shares and appreciates the thrills and spills you describe in your professional accounts.

Thanks for letting me lurk here, and for answering all my questions so affably.  My field is classical antiquity (philology, archaeology, religion);  I hope I can make helpful contributions at appropriate moments.  I'm happy to read messages in any language.  Finally, I cherish the hope that I may one day meet you personally at a festive board over ouzo and mezedhes.  Γειά και χαρά!
« Last Edit: 09 Jun, 2006, 17:35:51 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Αργοπορημένο καλωσόρισμα, λοιπόν, Μπιλ και ειλικρινά χαίρομαι πάρα πολύ που είσαι μαζί μας εδώ και τόσο καιρό.

Για τη σημερινή σύναξη στην ταβέρνα, θα μας τα πουν αύριο - όσο για τη Θεσσαλονίκη θα περιμένεις λίγο καιρό ακόμη.

Stay close and give your wife my warmest regards.:-)))))))))))
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

banned8

Να φταίνε για όλα οι Ελληνοαμερικανοί; Που πήγαιναν Βασίληδες στην Αμερική και γίνονταν Γουλιέλμοι; (Δεν ήταν διάσημος τότε ο Basil Fawlty.) Ή μήπως έρχονταν εδώ οι Μπιλ και τους κάναμε εμείς Βασίληδες;

Να σου πω κι εγώ το καθυστερημένο "καλώς όρισες" και να σ' ευχαριστήσω για τα πολύ-πολύ όμορφά σου λόγια, που πραγματικά μου ζέσταναν την ψυχή.

Μόλις επέστρεψα από μια ακόμη σύναξη, μια ακόμη ωραία βραδιά, με καινούργιες γνωριμίες, τόσο που στεναχωριέσαι γιατί από τη λαχτάρα να γνωρίσεις από κοντά τους φίλους που μέχρι τώρα γνώριζες από τα μηνύματά τους, δεν προλαβαίνεις να πεις και πολλά με τους παλιότερους.

Απόψε η βραδιά ήταν αφιερωμένη στον Κώστα. Και θα τη θυμάται για πολύ καιρό. Έλα κι εσύ από εδώ και θα σου στήσουμε μια βραδιά στα μέτρα σου, με ούζο και μεζέδες, που θα σου μείνει κι εσένα αξέχαστη.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Σας ευχαριστώ και τους δυο για τα θερμά σας καλωσορίσματα!  — και εσένα, Νικο, για την πρώτην αναφορά της παρέας στην Γαριδομανία.  Θαυμάσια θα έπρεπε να ειναι βεβαίως, ιδιαίτερα ως γιορτή γενέσεως.  I'm enjoying the festivities (and the food) vicariously through the wonderful photos of Alexandra and Spyros.

Ή μήπως έρχονταν εδώ οι Μπιλ και τους κάναμε εμείς Βασίληδες;

Έτσι έγινε, Νίκο, όσο για μένα πάντως.

Search Tools