Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257517

TS

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks nickel. I just read that article  - still no real conclusion. Could it be paraphrased from something else?

banned8

Could it be paraphrased from something else?

Not that I know of. I searched translations of Plato's works and none of these notions (not the exact phrasing) brought up anything of interest.

kim

On posting photos:

You go to: http://imageshack.us/
Browse for the photo in the appropriate folder of your hard disk
Then press host it!
Once it is uploaded, choose the very last link suggested by the site.

Start a message here, press the third icon at the bottom row and paste the link from imageshack inside the img /img codes.

Great thks! heres the photo!

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9137/kimswallowslowresvq8.jpg

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/2349/missytattolowresjz9.jpg

banned8

janvergil89

• Semi-Newbie
hello there? anybody who could help me to find a good phrase or quote that refers to a promise of everlasting love
for a girlfriend? well, i'm just planning to have our engagement ring
and i want to put some inscriptions on it.. i preffered greek, hehehehehe...please anybody out there please help me... i am looking forward to your reply.. thank you

peasy_jp

• Semi-Newbie
Hi, Justin.

The web is filled with paraphrases of what the ancients said, sometimes even of made-up quotations. I can’t place this one, and some web pages even attribute it to Aristotle or Sophocles or Seneca. And you won't get any more information out of them.

A quick search at www.ellopos.net (especially Plato's works) was of no help. The saying sounds suspiciously close to the saying attributed to Archimedes by Pappus of Alexandria: Give me a place to stand on and I will move the earth (but he was talking of levers).

In Phaedrus (245.d.7), Socrates says (I have removed irrelevant words):

κινήσεως ἀρχὴ τὸ αὐτὸ αὑτὸ κινοῦν

The self-moving is the beginning of motion

You can read the entire passage here:

http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/ancient-greece/plato/plato-phaedrus.asp

I’m afraid this is the best I can do. Let's see if the classicists here have any better ideas.

thank you for your help.

I first saw the quote 4 or 5 years ago while i was in college, and to this point I too have been unsuccessful in attributing it directly to Socrates. In my research i have noticed that a lot of the classical phrases are actually paraphrases or even completely fictitious. what you have found however seems to be pretty close. In the beginning of my research i saw that there seems to be a lot of ambiguity concerning what the ancient texts say and what modern translators can make it say. therefore it seems reasonable to me that what you have found is probably the root of the quote i presented.

once again, thank you for your help

Justin

billberg23

• Words ail me.
hello there? anybody who could help me to find a good phrase or quote that refers to a promise of everlasting love
Σήματ' ἀριφραδέα κατέλεξας εὐνῆς ἡμετέρης.

"You have given clear tokens of our marriage (bed)." ~ Odyssey 23.225f. Spoken by Penelope when she has recognized Odysseus through his description of the bed he had built (one leg of it an olive tree still rooted in the ground).

It's all I can come up with at the moment, Jan.  I'm hoping others will contribute better suggestions.

arete

• Semi-Newbie
The word arete (excellence) is very easy to find translated into the Classical Greek alphabet in computer fonts; however, I am searching for someone who can produce the word in beautiful calligraphy.  Anyone out there with any references or ideas?  Thanks for your time.

kerryarron

• Semi-Newbie
Could someone please tell me how to write that in Greek? It's for a tattoo......

Also, how do you say - confident and intelligent?

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
Ό,τι δεν μας σκοτώνει, μας κάνει πιο δυνατούς.

For the rest (and for confirmation of the above) you will have to wait for the experts

« Last Edit: 09 May, 2007, 15:26:06 by wings »
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ό,τι δεν μας σκοτώνει, μας κάνει πιο δυνατούς.
Yes, that's a beautiful translation into modern Greek!

Or, if Kerry prefers Nietzsche's original German, it's

Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

kerryarron

• Semi-Newbie
I want to get a tattoo in memory of my dad, and I want to say something like 'Dad, watch over me', or perhaps 'forever in my heart' - or any better suggestions you can come up with!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I want to get a tattoo in memory of my dad, and I want to say something like 'Dad, watch over me', or perhaps 'forever in my heart' - or any better suggestions you can come up with!
For the moment, Kerry, have a look at this page:
https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=309.840.html

jkruleader

• Semi-Newbie
I really want to get a phrase in ancient greek within a banner around my cross tattoo.  I was thinking about "agape," but actually in greek of course (ancient).  "True Agape" would be better if at all possible.   Thank You So Much!
« Last Edit: 10 May, 2007, 03:38:47 by jkruleader »

Search Tools