The universal Translator

σα(ρε)μαλι

• Σταβανγκεριανό μου έαρ
Ένα σχετικό άρθρο με αυτά που αναφέρονται σε άλλο νήμα.

Briefing

The universal translator

Tim Radford
Monday November 14, 2005
The Guardian

Shall nation speak unto nation? Yes, but clumsily, and through human interpreters, at least for a while. Although US scientists at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh and their German counterparts at the University of Karlsruhe have just demonstrated a "universal translator", it's a long way from being the equal of the same device in Star Trek - which enabled our human heroes to understand Klingons and their ilk.

The universal translator - the real one, not the TV one - is a computer system that picks up signals from electrodes fixed to throat, neck and cheek muscles. That enables it to simultaneously translate mouthed words of Mandarin Chinese into English and Spanish. According to reports, new software will smooth over the gaps in idiom and sentence structure that separate even closely related languages. The idea is to make Catalan speakers instantly comprehensible to Kurds, Italian callers clear in Inuit. "This is a bit science-fiction," Alex Waibel, a computer scientist at Carnegie Mellon, told reporters. "But it's clearly a vision we think is very exciting."

Article continues
Language is one of evolution's great puzzles. Neuroscientists are still trying to figure out why a human instantly understands the profound difference in meaning of sentences such as "Time flies like an arrow" and "Fruit flies like a banana". They marvel at, but cannot explain, the seemingly innate mastery of grammar achieved by a normal three-year-old. They do not understand how the average US high-school graduate could know 60,000 words and yet speak volumes just by saying "Yeah, right!"

For years, computer scientists have tried to deliver "chatterbots" - robots that respond to natural language. Their success, so far, has been limited. In 1968, Arthur C Clarke and Stanley Kubrick dreamed up HAL, the sinister silicon voice of the film 2001: A Space Odyssey. More than three decades later, the mannered mastery of meaning represented by HAL remains just what it was in 1968: science fiction. Indeed, scientists are still trying to work out how to get a computer to recognise speech. It has proved hard enough to get a computer to master one language, let alone hundreds.

Keith Devlin, of the centre for the study of language and information at Stanford University in California, thinks voice-to-silicon systems will improve. "But the idea of good, reliable machine translation is, in my view, an unreachable holy grail," he says. As HAL says so unhelpfully in the movie, to the exasperated astronaut on the wrong side of the airlock: "I'm sorry, Dave, I can't do that."
I can live everywhere in the world, but it must be near an airport -and a pharmacy, I would add.

Δεν είναι ο ύπνος της λογικής που γεννάει τέρατα, αλλά ο άγρυπνος ορθολογισμός που πάσχει από αϋπνίες.

banned8

Let us not forget the Babel fish, a fictional species of fish in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

According to Wikipedia (I paraphrase), a Babel fish is a highly improbable biological universal translator. It appears as a "small, yellow and leechlike" fish (there is apparently a pun on barbel fish, μπριάνα, κν. μουστακάτο).

When a Babel fish is inserted into the ear canal it allows the wearer to "instantly understand anything said... in any form of language." This was both a useful plot device for Adams, who wrote on the subject that he always found the ability of all aliens to speak English very strange; and also the starting point for a joke about the existence of God...

The fish feeds on mental energy created while composing a sentence, and apparently excretes mental energy in a form that can be understood by others. It was revealed in the Quintessential Phase that it also, like dolphins, has the power to effectively teleport itself and its host (in a plural zone) out of fatal danger.

The fish's name refers to the Tower of Babel in the Biblical story which describes events in Christian and Jewish theology which led to God confusing the languages of Man in order to prevent the Tower's construction, among other things.

"Babel" is composed of two words from the Arabic, "bab" meaning "gate" and "el," "god." Hence, "the gate of god." A related word in Hebrew, "bilbul" means "confusion" or "bilbel" (confused).

σα(ρε)μαλι

• Σταβανγκεριανό μου έαρ
Μη μου πεις ότι τελικά σου αρέσει και η ποίηση των Βόγκον, θα τρελαθώ. Για όποιον ενδιαφέρεται να παίξει, υπάρχει και αυτό το Σάιτ του BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/hitchhikers/vogonpoetry/lettergen.shtml
« Last Edit: 25 Nov, 2005, 21:08:48 by σα(ρε)μαλι »
I can live everywhere in the world, but it must be near an airport -and a pharmacy, I would add.

Δεν είναι ο ύπνος της λογικής που γεννάει τέρατα, αλλά ο άγρυπνος ορθολογισμός που πάσχει από αϋπνίες.

Search Tools