ἐγγύθεν → from near, near

Thans · 7 · 1772

Thans

Cannot find the exact meaning - does it mean "as a result of ..." ?  Thank you
« Last Edit: 05 Feb, 2012, 01:29:07 by billberg23 »

crystal

ἐγγύθεν (ἐγγύς): from near, near; of time, Il. 19.409; of relationship, Od. 7.205.
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0073%3Aalphabetic+letter%3De%3Aentry+group%3D1%3Aentry%3De)ggu%2Fqen

Where did you get this one? It must be from a different source. Does the following sound familiar? If so, someone else could do a much better job on the Ancient Greek part.

Πότερα ἔμψυχα νομιστέον ἢ ἄψυχα ταῦτα τὰ φερόμενα; Εἰ μὲν γὰρ ἄψυχα, οὐδὲν ἀλλ᾽ ἢ θερμὰ καὶ ψυχρὰ παρεχόμενα, εἰ δὴ καὶ ψυχρὰ ἄττα τῶν ἄστρων φήσομεν, ἀλλ᾽ οὖν ἐν τῆι τῶν σωμάτων ἡμῶν φύσει στήσουσι τὴν δόσιν φορᾶς δηλονότι σωματικῆς εἰς ἡμᾶς γινομένης, ὡς μηδὲ πολλὴν τὴν παραλλαγὴν τῶν σωμάτων γίνεσθαι τῆς τε ἀπορροῆς ἑκάστων τῆς αὐτῆς οὔσης καὶ δὴ ὁμοῦ εἰς ἓν ἐπὶ γῆς μιγνυμένων, ὡς μόνον κατὰ τοὺς τόπους τὰς διαφορὰς γίγνεσθαι ἐκ τοῦ ἐγγύθεν καὶ πόρρωθεν, πρὸς τὴν διαφορὰν διδόντος καὶ τοῦ ψυχροῦ ὡσαύτως.
http://el.wikisource.org/wiki/%CE%95%CE%BD%CE%BD%CE%B5%CE%AC%CE%B4%CE%B5%CF%82/%CE%92/%CE%B3

Thans

Kai palli mazi sou - listen, I will find the sentence this word appeared in so that you can get the "jist" of it.....

However, I think I will stop bothering you on this forum - it's just that I have email visits with someone in Greece and as such there will always be words I do not know because I am Greek American and even though we went to Greek School,,spoke Greek at home, well, you know well that  if you don't live in the country itself there will be some communication issues on occasion....however I do understand at least 98% of spoken Greek,,,,,and of course the rest is colloquial ,,,etc.

Thanks again - I will put the sentence in a little later.  Have a great evening Crystal "kai kalo mina naxis".....

crystal

I see! Then it's quite possible for this query that... it's not even that. I mean that it would make a lot more sense if you had asked about εκ του σύνεγγυς which in a sentence like θα τα πούμε εκ του σύνεγγυς would mean we'll talk (soon) in person. In both cases that expression is not modern Greek and has the "closeness" inside it. Otherwise, give us the exact context you found it in and we could come up with something more accurate.

Glad to know that as a Greek American you haven't lost touch with the Greek language. Καλό μήνα και σε σένα! :)

Thans

Hi Crystal - here's the sentence that phrase was spoken in :

.....ΘΑ ΣΟΥ ΕΞΟΜΟΛΟΓΗΘΩ ΕΚ ΤΟΥ ΕΓΓΥΘΕΝ!!!!!!!....

I hope that the context in which it was spoken clears up the meaning - sometimes there's some "katharevous" and many times there are "ancient Greek" terms thrown in so I am left in the dark!

Have a great weekend and thanks so much for being there -

crystal

I was right then! It's καθαρεύουσα and not αρχαία ελληνικά actually as I said in my last post. To tell you the truth no-one would actually say that in everyday Greek and that is why I asked about your source in the first place; then of course I kinda understood who probably said that and in what context (the email visits you mentioned). :)

...in a sentence like θα τα πούμε εκ του σύνεγγυς would mean we'll talk (soon) in person.

So, I have a confession to make (when we meet) in person is what you're looking for. He or she is probably planning to visit you.

Να έχεις ένα καλό Σαββατοκύριακο κι εσύ and always glad to be of help. :)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
LSJ :
ἐγγύθεν [ῠ], Adv., (ἐγγύς)
from nigh at hand, ἐ. ἐλθεῖν to approach, Il.5.72; ἐ. σκοπεῖν S.Ph.467, cf. Th.3.13, Pl.Plt.289d, etc.
with Verbs of rest, hard by, ἐ. ἱσταμένη Il.10.508; ἐ. εἰσίν Od.6.279.
c. dat., ἐ. τινί hard by him, Il.17.554, etc.; ἐπεὶ φόνος ἐ. αὐτῷ 18.133, cf. 19.409: c. gen., ἐ. Ἀρήνης 11.723; θνῄσκοντος ἐ. παρών A.Ch.852.
of kinship, Od.7.205.

Search Tools