ὦ πάτερ, ἐξενῑκήθησάν τε σύμπαντες οἱ πολέμιοι ὑπὸ τῶν στρατιωτῶν τῶν εὐγενῶν καὶ ἡ εὐδαίμων πόλις ἐσώθη. νῑκήσᾱς γὰρ ταῦτ' ἀπήγγειλε καὶ τῇ βουλῇ καὶ τῇ ἐκκλησίᾳ ὁ στρατηγὸς ὁ μετά τὴν μάχην εἰς τὴν Ἀθηναίων πόλιν ἀποπεμφθείς. μενεῖ οὖν οὖτος ἐν πόλει μ

jmorsay

I think this means "Father, the fearful ones togther were conquered by the army the noble one and the happy city was saved. Because ,victory, the genaral who was sent out of battle and into the athenian city, announced this thing to both the counsel and assembly. This man remained in  the city with the beloved ones so that they think worthy of sacurficing to the gods."

Is this right?

Thank you
« Last Edit: 21 Mar, 2019, 17:04:35 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
with the beloved ones so that they think worthy of sacurficing to the gods."
Since you didn't include the Greek, JM, we can't tell if it's right or not.

πολέμιοι:  look this word up again.

νῑκήσᾱς = "having been victorious":  aorist active participle of νικάω, masculine singular nominative to agree with στρατηγὸς.

ταῦτ' for ταῦτα, "those things."  "That thing" would be τοῦτο.

μετά = "after"

Ἀθηναίων = "of the Athenians"

μενεῖ (note the accent) is the future of μένω.  "Remained" would be ἔμεινε.

Have another go at it, JM!

jmorsay

ὦ πάτερ, ἐξενῑκήθησάν τε σύμπαντες οἱ πολέμιοι ὑπὸ τῶν στρατιωτῶν τῶν εὐγενῶν καὶ ἡ εὐδαίμων πόλις ἐσώθη. νῑκήσᾱς γὰρ ταῦτ' ἀπήγγειλε καὶ τῇ βουλῇ καὶ τῇ ἐϰϰλησίᾳ ὁ στρατηγὸς ὁ μετά τὴν μάχην εἰς τὴν Ἀθηναίων πόλιν ἀποπεμφθείς. μενεῖ οὖν οὖτος ἐν πόλει μετά γε τῶν φίλων ὡς θυσίᾱς τοῖς θεοῖς ἄξων.

Is it "Father, the hostile men altogether were conquered by the noble soldiers, and the fortunate city was saved. For the victorius general, who was sent after the battle to the city of the athenians, announced these things to the counsel and assembly. Thus, this general will remain in the city with his friends because he thinks it worthy of a sacrifice to the gods."

I translated "οὖν" as "thus".

I translated "ὡς" as "because".

Is this accurate?

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Search Tools