using this forum

Charis Mimetes

Hello there. :)  I need some help--I've read through all the rules and FAQ and searched the forum to try to determine the proper way to deal with my needs, but I'm not quite sure, and I want to be sure I honor the rules of the community, so I hope it's alright if I ask for direction here.

I'm an author, and one of my sci-fi novels features a race that speaks Ancient Greek.  I chose to actually portray the phrases they speek as Greeklish, so that while the characters are mystified as to what they are saying, the reader can understand if they speak Greek.  Does that make sense?  Anyhow, I have a couple of page of dialogue for these Greek-speaking characters, and I want to make sure that I use proper grammar and translation.  However, try as I might, I don't believe I can do it justice in the limited time I would have to learn... I'm horrid at learning languages.  Therefore, I decided to seek help.  Is this a task that can be accomplished on this forum, and if not, can you direct me to some place that is suited for these needs?  If I can get help here, do I just put the phrases one by one in the English → Ancient Greek forum, or is there another way that would be preferred?

I sincerely hope I am not out of line in asking these things.  Regardless, blessings in your endeavors, all. :)

~ J. Grace Pennington

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Hi and welcome. If you want words/phrases translated into Ancient Greek, then you should use the English → Ancient Greek forum. Bear in mind there is a 12 word limit per query.

Using greeklish is generally frowned-upon and I would not recommend it for your novel (especially if this is Ancient Greek).

Charis Mimetes

Thank you!  Okay, I'm just going to have a couple pages worth of queries, so I didn't know whether it would be inappropriate to try to do ALL of them one at a time. :)

I can't use Greek characters in the book, because most people don't know how to read or pronounce them, and also most people aren't supposed to realize that it's Greek.  It's fiction, so I have to work with my audience.  Thanks though!

Charis Mimetes

Also, please let me know if there's any way I can help or assist the forum.  I don't speak any other languages, sadly, but if there's anything else I can do, I'd be glad to help out--I don't want to take advantage of y'all's kindness! :)

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Lol, there is no need to do anything. If you find you get a lot of help from someone, then you could talk to them as to how to show your gratitude :)

Search Tools