ἄλλος ἀδελφόθεος τάδε Ἰούδας εύσεβέεσσι → Jude, the other step-brother, [writes] the following to the pious

tyconius

• Semi-Newbie
This is a 14th century manuscript title to the Epistle of Jude.

I can make out the gist of the title, but I'm confused on the last word--it looks plural. But that doesn't make sense.

I would translate it as -- The Catholic Epistle of Jude the other brother of God (or God's brother) that is Jude the pious -- but would be glad for some feedback.

It is an intriguing title...

Any ideas??
« Last Edit: 30 May, 2017, 21:07:31 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Perplexing, but cf. Julius Pollux, Onomasticon 3.22.1, ὁ δὲ πατρὸς ἀδελφὸς θεῖος ἢ ἀδελφόθεος ἢ πατράδελφος ἢ πάτρως.  So ἀδελφόθεος (which should literally mean "uncle on father's side") actually points to Jude's descent from (in pious early church opinion) Joseph's brother — Jude being the "other brother" of James, as in Matthew 13:55, or as here, the "brother of Joseph's brother's other son," or "step-brother through Joseph's previous marriage," depending on which dogmatic tradition you follow. 
The whole title is quite ungrammatical, unless we have only part of it here.  There's no "of" there — everything is nominative, except (possibly) ευσεβεεσσιους, which I'd really like to see in the manuscript.  No way to make it εὐσεβέστατος, I don't suppose?  For one thing, στ in ligature can very often look like σι.  Any photos?
« Last Edit: 30 May, 2017, 21:11:39 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Thanks for the photo!  Now it's clear that the last word of the title is not a superlative, but simply the dative plural εὐσεβέεσσι, "to the pious faithful".  I would translate the entire title as "Catholic epistle of Jude: Jude, the other step-brother, [writes] the following (τάδε) to the pious faithful."

Search Tools