ἀγαθῇ τύχῃ → with good fortune, blessings on us all, by God's help, may it be with good fortune

thetevfik

• Semi-Newbie
Hello All
I want to know what does it say in the picture. I would appreciate for the replies.
Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar, 2021, 15:54:05 by spiros »

vbd.

There is no picture. You might want to try again. As long as it's ancient Greek we'll most likely be able to help.
At last, I have peace.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
I must apologize. I tried to change the post and make the picture visible, but something must have gone wrong.

thetevfik, please upload it again!
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

thetevfik

• Semi-Newbie
Hello Again
Thanks for trying to help. I dont know where to put the picture hence I uploaded it to rapidshare.
 (http://rapidshare.com/files/265181148/ancient_greek.jpg)
 I hope moderator could make it visible for me.
Please share your comments with me in regards to writings on the picture.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
I'm afraid I can't and I don't know why. I suppose that people who want to help will have to download the picture from rapidshare.

« Last Edit: 08 Aug, 2009, 21:06:59 by wings »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

vbd.

Hi,

ΑΓΑΘΗ ΤΥΧΗ
ΘΕΟΙΣ ΣΕΒΑΣΤΟΙΣ ΚΑΙ
ΤΗ ΠΑΤΡΙΔΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ
ΔΑΜΑΣ ΟΙ ΝΕΑΡΧΟΥ ΤΟ ΒΟΥ-
ΛΕΥΤΗΡΙΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΤΑ ΕΝΑΥ-
ΤΩ ΕΚ ΤΩΝ ΙΔΙΩΝ ΑΝΑ-
ΛΩΜΑΤΩΝ ΕΠΟΙΗΣΑΝ

Agathe Tyche*
To the reverend gods and
to the homeland, Ariston and
Damas, sons of Nearchos, the cou-
ncil** and those pert-
aining to it, at their own ex-
penses dedicated (this)

*Agathe Tyche = that's the name of the goddess of Good Luck, in Latin "Fortuna Bona".
**What you might know as the "boule".

I'm afraid that's all I can tell you.
At last, I have peace.

thetevfik

• Semi-Newbie

billberg23

• Words ail me.
ΤΟ ΒΟΥΛΕΥΤΗΡΙΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΤΑ ΕΝ ΑΥΤΩ[Ι] = "the council hall and its furnishings," which A. & D. built (ΕΠΟΙΗΣΑΝ) at their own expense.  ΑΓΑΘΗ[Ι] ΤΥΧΗ[Ι] is a standard formula in such announcements, meaning something like "may it be with good fortune" (for the gods and the homeland).
The inscription, judging from the letter forms, is probably from around the beginning of the Common Era.
« Last Edit: 11 Sep, 2009, 02:53:05 by billberg23 »

didyman

• Semi-Newbie
Hello, I wonder if you could translate the text on the stone for me? It's from Apollon Temple / Didyma.

Ἀγαθῇ τύχῃ κτλ ... → with good fortune, blessings on us all etc. ... (Didyma inscription, ca. C.E. 200)
« Last Edit: 12 Mar, 2021, 15:54:37 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ἀγαθῇ τύχῃ is a standard formula introducing dedicatory and honorific inscriptions of the Hellenistic period.  Literally "With good fortune," it signifies something like "Blessings on us all."
As for the rest of the inscription, we'd be happy to give you a general idea of its sense (within the 12-word limit:  see The Rules, top of page).
« Last Edit: 22 Sep, 2010, 16:40:39 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The inscription begins by dating itself to the joint consulship of Septimius Severus (emperor 193-211, named here as the legitimate successor to Pertinax) and his son Caracalla (Marcus Aurelius Antoninus).  The final sentence narrows the date down to the year when Publius Aelius Granianus, son of Fannius Artemidoros, held the office of prophetes in the religious sanctuary at Didyma.
The stone commemorates a dedication (presumably a statue) to Apollo by the Milesian sculptor Tryphon, son of Titus Aelius Flavianus Faustus.
Except for the Roman emperors, all the folks mentioned here are Greeks.  Their Roman names reflect the fact that Roman citizenship had been extended by this time to most free citizens of the Empire.
« Last Edit: 23 Sep, 2010, 19:07:26 by billberg23 »

Search Tools