ἀόρατος → invisible

Karol · 6 · 1154

Karol

This ancient&modern greek word is meaning more "unseen" or "invisible"? More like a candle covered with a tent or like God and angels?
Is that similar to ἀθέατος?
Thank you all in advance!
And Kαλά Χριστοῦγεννα to all Ἕλληνες!
« Last Edit: 25 Dec, 2009, 16:13:58 by spiros »

Karol

invisible.
Thank you Spiro!
Hmmm, so if only 'invisible', then I've a problem with the exact meanining of the St. Basil the Great IInd Homily "On the Hexaemeron", which says: "...Ἀόρατον οὖν τί ἐστι; Τὸ μὲν, ὃ μὴ πέφυκεν ὀφθαλμοῖς σαρκὸς καθορᾶσθαι, ὡς ὁ νοῦς ὁ ἡμέτερος· τὸ δὲ, ὃ τῇ φύσει ὁρατὸν ὑπάρχον, διὰ τὴν ἐπιπρόσθεσιν τοῦ ἐπικειμένου αὐτῷ σώματος ἀποκρύπτεται, ὡς ὁ ἐν τῷ βυθῷ σίδηρος....". Maybe we have here a double meanings/senses/uses of ἀόρατος? First "invisible" second "unseen"?
Filika

vbd.

He's explaining that something can be invisible either by being imperceptible to our eyes, or by being hidden from our eyes. Invisible as in "not visible", "incapable of being seen"; whether because it's transparent or imperceptible to us or hidden (like that iron piece in the bottom of the ocean), it's all not visible. Unseen might work better in some cases. The problem lies in the different level of understanding of the world by him and his contemporaries as opposed to today's people -it boils down to physics, in other words, I think.

In modern Greek the meaning of the word is stricter and is the equivalent of the English "invisible".
At last, I have peace.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Not much of a difference really ;)

Quick definitions (unseen)

▸ noun:  a belief that there is a realm controlled by a divine spirit
▸ adjective:  not seen or perceived ("Unseen natural resources")
▸ adjective:  not observed
http://www.onelook.com/?loc=bm2&w=unseen

Quick definitions (invisible)

▸ adjective:  impossible or nearly impossible to see; imperceptible by the eye ("The invisible man")
▸ adjective:  not prominent or readily noticeable ("The invisible man")
http://www.onelook.com/?loc=bm2&w=invisible

Karol

Δόξα τῷ Θεῷ in Polish language we have more clear and different in sense words ("niewidzialny" - invisible and "niewidoczny" - unseen) to express τὸ ἀόρατον, so I'm intending to translate ἀόρατος in this fragment as "niewidzialny" with an explanation in footnote that here St. Basil the Great means "niewidoczny".
Eὐχαριστῶ

Search Tools