κατά την απόλυτη κρίση του → at his sole discretion

valr · 9 · 6282

valr

Hello - urgent help required if possible, please!
Can anyone help confirm the meaning of this phrase? It occurs in the following:
.... κατά την απόλυτη κρίση του και με οποιοδήποτε τίμημα και οποιουσδήποτε όρους και συμφονίες εγκρίνει.
My translation of this would be:
.... by his sole judgment and at whatever price and according to whatever terms and agreements are approved
Is this correct?
Many thanks,
Val
« Last Edit: 20 Nov, 2012, 22:24:48 by spiros »

banned8

I'd say, though I don't know the exact context: "in his sole discretion, at any price and on any terms and understandings (that he approves / that are approved?)". I'm not sure about "any price"; it doesn't look like legalese to me.

valr

Thanks for this, Nickel - it seems to confirm my understanding of the meaning of the phrase (which has been queried). I think I may need to get clarification of who is doing what in this context as it is part of a long convoluted sentence without a clear subject - for that reason, I used the passive for "εγκρίνει". Similarly, another phrase refers to "αγοράσει το ακίνητο .... από τον [name]" without any obvious subject doing the purchasing (assuming "από" is from in this context?) - is it legitimate to translate the active Greek verb passively in this context, i.e.as "the property is being purchased from.."?

banned8

Before you proceed any further, if this is a legal text of some sort or other, I believe you must somehow find what the subject is. You might be able to say "the property is purchased by" but in any legal text you should know who does what to whom.

valr

I agree - I've already pointed this out but, in view of your comments, will reiterate it more firmly! Once again, thanks for your help.
Val
(By the way, I think the headline English translation should read "at his sole discretion" rather than "in his sole discretion".)

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
"at his sole discretion and at any cost and any terms and conditions approved by him/her/it.... "

This is the proper transtions
« Last Edit: 07 Dec, 2005, 15:36:00 by nickel »
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

banned8

I absolutely agree with "at any cost", but I wonder, if the Greek is "οποιουσδήποτε όρους και συμφωνίες", should it become "terms and conditions"?

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
I absolutely agree with "at any cost", but I wonder, if the Greek is "οποιουσδήποτε όρους και συμφωνίες", should it become "terms and conditions"?

Ξέρω πως ξενίζω ξάδερφε... αλλά, αυτή είναι η ορολογία που χρησιμοποιείται... καλώς ή κακώς ;-)
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

Search Tools