Re: ἀγαθός που τὴν τέχνην οὗτος ὁ ζωράφος, αἰσχρὸς δὲ τοὺς τρόπους. μηχανᾶται γὰρ μετὰ τῶν ἐταίρων ὅπως λύσᾱς τὴν δημοκρατίᾱν πάσης τῆς πόλεως ἄρξει.

jmorsay

ἀγαθός που τὴν τέχνην οὗτος ὁ ζωράφος, αἰσχρὸς δὲ τοὺς τροπους. μηχανᾶται γὰρ μετὰ τῶν ἐταίρων ὅπως λύσᾱς τὴν δημοκρατίᾱν πάσης τῆς πόλεως ἄρξει.

my translation:This artist is good with skill, I think, but shameful with place. For contriving with the companion that he will rule every city, since dissloving the democrasy.

What does "τοὺς τροπους" mean here?

Is this correct?

« Last Edit: 11 Mar, 2010, 07:52:09 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
What does "τοὺς τροπους" mean here?
Plural, accusative of respect.  "With respect to his ways (i.e. his character)."  Looks like you looked up τόπος instead of τρόπος.

μηχανᾶται is not a participle.  It is a third person singular, present middle indicative verb.

τῶν ἐταίρων is plural.  Again, JM, review your second declension.

λύσᾱς is an aorist active participle, masculine singular nominative:  "having dissolved," "after dissolving."

πᾶσα πόλις = every city
πᾶσα ἡ πόλις = the whole city

P.S  I like the way you translated που here.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov, 2009, 16:43:12 by billberg23 »

jmorsay

My new translation: This artist good with respect to skill, I think, but shameful with respect with his character. He was contrived with the companions that he will rule the whole city, after dissloving the democrasy.

Is it correct?

thank you

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"This artist is good ..."  We've seen before how Greek likes to leave out the verb "to be" (εἰμί).

Αs I mentioned in my last post, "μηχανᾶται is ... a third person singular, present middle indicative verb."  Middle, not passive; present, not past.  So "he is contriving ... how he will rule ..."

Finally, note the spelling of "democracy."  It's an important word hereabouts.

Search Tools