Difference between Modern and Ancient Greek

Guest · 6 · 13744

fanboyshaka

Hi everyone! Im a senior in high school in the USA and our senior quotes are due tomorrow and i am between 2 quotes right now and i just cant decide!  ??? One is by plato and another is by aristotle, i was wondering if anyone would be soo kind as to help translate these quotes into greek so as to help me out in deciding which one to choose! please!! I really would appriciate this! I just think that the quotes would look better in the language in which they were originally spoken in, so im asking for the ancient greek translations, but if thats too much work then could someone please do the modern day greek translations! Any help at all would be appriciated! thanks!

- Mike(the quotes are below)

How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

We live in deeds, not years: In thoughts not breaths; In feelings, not in figures on a dial. We should count time by heart throbs. He most lives Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best. - Aristotle
« Last Edit: 30 Dec, 2004, 02:28:16 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato
Πώς μπορείς να αποδείξεις εάν αυτή τη στιγμή κοιμόμαστε και όλες οι σκέψεις μας είναι ένα όνειρο; Ή εάν είμαστε ξύπνιοι και μιλάμε ο ένας στον άλλο σε κατάσταση αφύπνισης; (MODERN GREEK)

We live in deeds, not years: In thoughts not breaths; In feelings, not in figures on a dial. We should count time by heart throbs. He most lives Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best. - Aristotle
Ζούμε με πράξεις, όχι με χρόνια: Με σκέψεις όχι με αναπνοές, με συναισθήματα όχι με τους δείκτες του ρολογιού. Θα έπρεπε να μετράμε τον χρόνο με χτύπους της καρδιάς. Ζει περισσότερο εκείνος που σκέφτεται περισσότερο, αισθάνεται με πιο ευγενή τρόπο και πράττει το καλύτερο. (MODERN GREEK)

You may also want to search in Perseus to find the Ancient Greek equivalent
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/vor?lookup=
(select English text and Greek and Roman Materials)
« Last Edit: 30 Dec, 2004, 02:30:57 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Well done, Spiros!!!  :)
« Last Edit: 24 Nov, 2004, 17:07:43 by spiros »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

fanboyshaka

ooo!!! ^____________^ thank you!!!! You really helped me out i really appriciate it! ^_^ thanks again, btw whats the difference between modern and ancient greek? other than one being modern and another ancient
« Last Edit: 30 Dec, 2004, 02:29:40 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Well, basically a modern Greek would understand about 50% of an ancient Greek text. Most roots are the same but there are considerable differences in syntax, grammar, pronunciation, use of diacritics. We can say that it is the same language which has evolved and changed considerably in a time span of 3000 years - so you can understand that it is far from being exactly the same!

" Some scholars have overly stressed similarity to millennia-old Greek languages. Its interintelligibility with ancient Greek is a matter of debate. It is claimed that a "reasonably well educated" speaker of the modern tongue can read the ancient dialects, but it is not made plain how much of that education consists of exposure to vocabulary and grammar obsolete in normal communication."

from Greek language - Wikipedia

However, I am not exactly an expert about ancient Greek - Vicky (wings) is more likely to give you a better answer.

See also
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/refpages/RefArticle.aspx?refid=761552508
1911encyclopedia.org
GREEK, Modern
GREEK, Ancient
« Last Edit: 04 Nov, 2022, 13:36:22 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Spiros,

All links you are suggesting would do fine.

« Last Edit: 30 Dec, 2004, 02:29:20 by spiros »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Search Tools