And do not courageous men endure death because they are afraid of yet greater evils? → οὐκοῦν φόβῳ μειζόνων κακῶν ὑπομένουσιν αὐτῶν οἱ ἀνδρεῖοι τὸν θάνατον, ὅταν ὑπομένωσιν; (Plato, Phaedo 68d)

Aethanyc

• Semi-Newbie
Hi again! :)
I've been hunting through "Phaedo" and I've found the following:

"And do not courageous men endure death because they are afraid of yet greater evils?"

That seems awfully similar to me but I'd really much rather ask those who know more!
« Last Edit: 20 Jan, 2009, 03:56:24 by billberg23 »

vbd.

Hi again! :)
I've been hunting through "Phaedo" and I've found the following:

"And do not courageous men endure death because they are afraid of yet greater evils?"

That seems awfully similar to me but I'd really much rather ask those who know more!

οὐκοῦν φόβῳ μειζόνων κακῶν ὑπομένουσιν αὐτῶν οἱ ἀνδρεῖοι τὸν θάνατον, ὅταν ὑπομένωσιν;

« Last Edit: 20 Jan, 2009, 02:42:54 by billberg23 »
At last, I have peace.

vbd.

You mean to "Courage is knowing what not to fear"? It is definitely informed by the same spirit. The one quote says that courageous men know what not to fear, the other explains what the thing to fear is (greater evils), and what the thing to not fear is (death) when you're courageous. So yes, you could say that the internet quote you posted seems like a compact version of what is said in this line from Phaedo.
At last, I have peace.

Search Tools