only God can judge me → κριτής μου ο Θεός, ο Θεός ας με κρίνει

ntice · 21 · 10836

ntice

• Semi-Newbie
hi thanks for the help I'm from aus with Greek heritage although i cant read or wright any, i want to get a tattoo of only god can judge me   or no pain no gain in Greek text to pay respect to my heritage no pain on one forearm and no gain on the other ... i think it will probably look better in upper case... any help with these terms would be greatly appreciated i have spent months surfing the net trying to get an accurate translation but to no evail... many thanks...

Moderator's note: in Ancient Greek here
« Last Edit: 06 May, 2012, 10:33:56 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Well, a word by word translation would be:  Μόνον ο Θεός μπορεί να με κρίνει.

However, a very common phrase in Greek is "Let God judge me" and I think you should use this one. In capital letters:
Ο ΘΕΟΣ ΑΣ ΜΕ ΚΡΙΝΕΙ

And as Nickel already told you in the question you posted in Proz.com:

Ο Θεός θα με κρίνει = God will judge me

At this site you can find :
μόνο ο Θεός θα με κρίνει (only God will judge me)
http://flammablesubstance.blogspot.com/2005_07_01_flammables...
but it would be more effective (in Greek) without the 'only'

My preference is for: Κριτής μου ο Θεός (God is my judge)
which is similar to Μάρτυράς μου ο Θεός (God is my witness).
Κριτής μου ο Θεός (God is my judge) is actually the meaning of the name 'Daniel'.

Ι agree with Nickel that you should go for:

ΚΡΙΤΗΣ ΜΟΥ Ο ΘΕΟΣ

« Last Edit: 24 Jan, 2006, 16:58:47 by wings »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

melanie

only god will judge me
If we opened our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side.  We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower.

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
Μόνο ο Θεός θα με κρίνει
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

NadiaF

• ناديا فامي
  • Γιατί να το κρύψω; Ναι, είμαι μία φελάχα!
Και επειδή το μυαλό μου είναι μαρμελάδα αυτή τη στιγμή (ευτυχώς που υπάρχει και ο ξάδερφος"

"Κριτής μου ο Θεός" είναι το πιο σωστό.

Τα εύσημα στον Νίκο παρακαλώ :-)
Μην κοιμάσαι, είναι επικίνδυνο. Μην ξυπνήσεις, θα το μετανοιώσεις!
Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi

melanie

My grandmother was from Greece and my mother is heavily involved in the Greek Orthodox Church.  This is a saying that I have always wanted translated. I have seen many different ways of the saying written. What do you feel would be the closest correct one.
Thanks for all of the help.
If we opened our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side.  We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower.

banned8

My suggestion elsewhere was
Κριτής μου ο Θεός

Because of the syntax and the emphasis on the first word, the meaning is "God is / will be my only judge".

melanie

nickel-

Thank you again for all of the help.  I believe I will go with your suggestion.  I just have to keep in mind that the English language can be taken many different ways when translated into Greek.  I am trying to study the Modern Greek language to be able to really surprise my mother.  I have many of the school grade books that I am working with...do you believe that this is the best way to start?  I have not yet bought any type of audio tape to listen to.

banned8

Have a look at this and I might recommend a number of books written for learners of Greek.

Let's first see what other people frequenting the forum, with more experience in learning Greek as a foreigner, have to say.

ruadisneyfan

Nickel,
About your #9 reply ......I wish you had suggested it long ago to me!! LOL  It is very helpful!! I already started the lessons. The instructions are clear and very easy to follow. Great find Nickel.

ruadisneyfan

melanie

Nickel-

I have noticed in other forums that you will provide a .jpg of the text that is requested.  I was wonder if you would grant a request for me.....of a .jpg of "I live I love I laugh"?  If you could in a couple of different fonts...Modern, Ancient, etc....

I am putting something together and I would really appreciate it...

Melanie

melanie

I agree!!!  I have checked out the link to the site and it seems outstanding

banned8

GREEK FONT SAMPLES

Please download the attached PDF. Choose a typeface and let me know whether you want your text in upper case or not, normal or bold.

« Last Edit: 20 Jun, 2006, 21:21:42 by nickel »

melanie

Nickel-

Wow...thank you, that was more that I was expecting.  I really like the Gentium typeface.  Could you set it up for me with "I" as upper case and the rest of the text in lower and bold will be fine.

Again, your fantastic!!!

banned8

... with "I" as upper case and the rest of the text in lower and bold will be fine.

I as in "I live etc" or the Greek equivalent? Which does not use "I": Ζω, αγαπώ, γελώ.

Search Tools