διαπασῶν, διατεσσάρων, διαπέντε → through all, through four, through five (Pythagorean musical terms)

bigoboe

• Semi-Newbie
What are the Greek translations of these words in the context of the text on this image of the tetractys from 'School of Athens'?  And what is the word at the top of this image?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: 07 Mar, 2014, 05:09:07 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Dear bigoboe, These are all musical terms pertaining to Pythagorean intervals.  For full explanations, see Major second - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Pythagorean interval - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.  Literally, diatessaron, diapente, and diapason mean "through four," "through five," and "through all" respectively.  Epogdoon means "upon (or in addition to) eighths."

bigoboe

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks for the reply.  I know about the interval terms and how they relate to Pythagorean tuning, but this 'Epogodoon' is eluding me.  Upon eighths, as in 1/8?  Maybe that the Pythagorean diatonic scale is comprised of 8 notes if you repeat the starting pitch at the octave?

Would you mind spelling out these words (diatessaron, diapente, diapason and epogodoon) for me in actual Greek script/font?  There seems to be a wide variation of characters and I don't have much of an awareness about how they relate.

Thanks again!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Here's the major dictionary (Liddell & Scott) entry for the adjective ἐπόγδοος:
ἐπόγδοος, ον, 1 1/8, Pl.Ti.36a, 36b ; ἐ. λόγος the ratio
of 9 : 8, Plu.2.367f; ἐ. [τόκος] interest at the rate of 1/8 of the principal, i.e. 12 1/2%, D.50.17 : neuter as Substantive, whole tone in Music, Philol.6, Hsch.

Someone schooled in music theory may be able to elucidate further.
The terms spelled in Greek:  διατεσσάρων, διαπέντε, διαπασῶν, and ἐπογδόων
« Last Edit: 07 Mar, 2014, 05:28:23 by billberg23 »

bigoboe

• Semi-Newbie
Billberg23,

The 9:8 whole step, of course!  It makes perfect sense now.  Thanks so much!

Do you know of a source of this text/type face or something very similar?  I'm trying to adapt this image into a tattoo.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I wrote the terms in 14-point on the off-chance you were wanting a tattoo.  If that's not good enough, one of our fontmasters may come forward with something fancier for you.

bigoboe

• Semi-Newbie

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If by "image" you mean the drawing you included in your first post, then you'll need upper csse:
ΔΙΑΤΕΣΣΑΡΩΝ   ΔΙΑΠΕΝΤΕ   ΔΙΑΠΑΣΩΝ            ΕΠΟΓΔΟΩΝ

Search Tools