γνώσεσθε τὴν ἀλήθειαν (John 8:32) → learn the truth

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
In China there is a medical school that had a medical symbol of caduceus with wings and the phrase, "Γuωοεοδε τπu αληδειαu" above it that was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution.  All that reamains is a poor quality photo. The school would like to put the symbol and Greek phrase back in place, but they are not sure of the correct Greek spelling or even the meaning.

I don't know if the spelling in Greek is correct.  In the photo, the delta, δ, looks more like a "u" in the photo.

So I am looking for:

1. Correct Spelling in Greek
2. Meaning of the phrase

Thanks for your help!

Peter
« Last Edit: 12 May, 2021, 16:29:32 by spiros »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hello Peter.

The correct spelling is 'Γνώσεσθε την αλήθειαν' meaning 'You will learn the truth'.

The phrase appears in the Greek New Testament, John 8:32

8:32 και γνώσεσθε την αλήθειαν και η αλήθεια ελευθερώσει υμάς (K.J.V.: And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free).

Have a wonderful weekend.

Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
Thank you so much!  The school will be putting this Greek phrase in granite, so I wanted to be sure they got it right!

All the best,

Peter Snow Cao

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
One more qeustion, can you please recommend a font (and font source) suitable for stone engraving that would fit the name of the phrase and the location (prominately displayed on the front of the main building of this school of medicine)?

It seems a flowerery font with lots of curls and the like (similiar to the original) would be best.

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
Actually I don't need to be able to write in Greek on the computer (which I can't do anyway), just be able to find some suitable font (jpg or gif would be fine) for stone scupture carving.

Thanks,  Peter

banned8

Ancient Greek was not flowery and ornamented; it was pretty straight-laced, as a matter of fact, in upper case, unaccented and unpunctuated. I attach the phrase in my favourite font for ancient Greek. If you do insist on replicating the original, you'll have to send me a JPG of what you have now, and I'll try to find something similar for you.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
This is my favourite font for Ancient Greek, too.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
Apparently I can't make attachments, but here are images to the phrase in question.  The first photo shows a couple in front of the building with the caduceus and the Greek phrase "Γνώσεσθε την αλήθειαν."  Behind the couple is the Chinese symbol of medicine.  It is the desire of the administrators to replicate the entire sculture in granite exactly as it ws made originally, so if you can please provide a detail image of "Γνώσεσθε την αλήθειαν" in this font the school would be most appreciative.

Thanks again for all your help.

Peter
« Last Edit: 12 May, 2021, 16:30:18 by spiros »

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
The images seemed to have been degraded by the message forum software, so here are the direct links so that prehaps you can see them more clearly.

http://www.bikechina.com/temp/learnthetruth1.gif

http://www.bikechina.com/temp/learnthetruth1.gif

Thanks again!

Peter

banned8

Hi, Peter. This is the closest replica I was able to conjure up.

bikechina

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks so much Nickel and all that assisted.   I will check with the powers that be to see if it will satisfy them.

Peter

Search Tools