Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257364

Stuart14

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks a lot Nickel. Really appreciated.

I quite like it in Lucinda Sans Unicode, although will have a play around

In one line,

Καλλία Πάρκερ Μία αλλά λέαινα

Would you be able to do one more jpeg for me using that Lithos font you have?

The greek above is modern isn\'t it? Does it look a lot different as Ancient Greek?

Last time, I promise!!
« Last Edit: 21 May, 2007, 15:54:45 by Stuart14 »

banned8

In Lithos font, which has no lower-case characters (nor did the ancients).

nik

• Semi-Newbie
I want to get the word joy in ancient greek. Would someone please translate that for me?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I want to get the word joy in ancient greek. Would someone please translate that for me?
Nik, we already posted that for you the other day.  See Reply *989.  It's the same in both ancient and modern Greek.

Stuart14

• Semi-Newbie

aslanskeep

• Semi-Newbie
Hi, this is an awesome service/forum.

I am looking to get a tattoo in "Bible" Greek for the phrase "Purified by Fire" or "Refined by Fire".
I prefer purified, but I don't know if the terms would be the same in Greek.  I would love to see it in both regular and all caps.

Thanks in advance.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I am looking to get a tattoo in "Bible" Greek for the phrase "Purified by Fire" or "Refined by Fire".
Purified/refined by fire =  τῷ πυρὶ καθαρθείς  (feminine καθαρθεῖσα, neuter καθαρθέν)
Upper case:  ΤΩΙ ΠΥΡΙ ΚΑΘΑΡΘΕΙΣ  (ΚΑΘΑΡΘΕΙΣΑ, ΚΑΘΑΡΘΕΝ)

Saaa

• Semi-Newbie
oh my god, im so glad i found this forum. REALLY, I am.

can someone please translate the word "tempest" into greek & possibly ancient greek (i'm not sure if the word was around then; someone did say it was in the odyssey, but i'm sure 'tempest' stems from latin)

i have looked around on various translation/dictionary sites for the modern greek equivelant but each website comes up with different words, and im not sure which is the more accurate translation.

i'd be really grateful for any help on this! thanks

billberg23

• Words ail me.
can someone please translate the word "tempest" into greek & possibly ancient greek
You're in luck, Saaa.  The word hasn't changed in at least 3000 years:

θύελλα                                        Upper case:   Θ Υ Ε Λ Λ Α

Matt111111

• Semi-Newbie
I would like this translated to ancient greek "I would rather live one day as a lion, then live one hundred years as a sheep"
But for tatto reasons, I need it separated into two parts "I would rather live one day as a lion" and then the second part "Then live one hundred years as a sheep"

Thanks alot,
Matt

Matt111111

• Semi-Newbie
Oh and sorry I forgot to add this in my last post, could you let me know what the upper and lower case versions are as well for the saying "I would rather live one day as a lion, then live one hundred years as a sheep"

Thanks so much,
Matt

billberg23

• Words ail me.
"I would rather live one day as a lion, than live one hundred years as a sheep"
ΒΟΥΛΟΙΜΗΝ ΑΝ ΜΙΑΝ ΗΜΕΡΑΝ ΩΣ ΛΕΩΝ ΖΗΝ
Η ΕΚΑΤΟΝ ΕΝΙΑΥΤΟΥΣ ΩΣ ΟΙΣ

Βουλοίμην ἂν μίαν ἡμέραν ὡς λέων ζῆν
 ἢ ἑκατὀν ἐνιαυτοὺς ὡς οἶς

Your regional accent probably doesn't distinguish, Matt, between the pronunciations of "then" and "than."  This means you'll have to work a bit harder at noticing the difference in spelling.
« Last Edit: 29 May, 2007, 17:57:54 by billberg23 »

Carmen

• Semi-Newbie
Hello to everybody! I am about to get a tattoo and I just recently discovered your website and I hope you kan help me. I have tried for a long time to find the ancient greek translation of Sophokles quote but I have not been able to get it right.

Could you please please help me?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hello to everybody! I am about to get a tattoo and I just recently discovered your website and I hope you kan help me. I have tried for a long time to find the ancient greek translation of Sophokles quote but I have not been able to get it right.
Your quotation is actually a very free interpretation of the following lines of Sophocles' Oedipus at Colonus (1615-1618):

ἀλλ' ἓν γἀρ μόνον
τἀ πάντα λύει ταῦτ' ἔπος μοχθήματα.
τὸ γὰρ φιλεῖν οὐκ ἔστιν ἐξ ὅτου πλέον
ἢ τοῦδε τἀνδρὸς ἔσχεθ'...

"Yet one little word makes all those toils as naught;  love  had ye from me, as from none beside..."  (R. C. Jebb's translation)
« Last Edit: 29 May, 2007, 20:20:31 by billberg23 »

Carmen

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks! No wonder I couldn't get it right. How would it sound if you translate the sentence I wrote?

Search Tools