Ι kill what I adore → caedo quidquid amo

third eye

• Semi-Newbie
Γεια σας. Θα ήθελα, αν είναι εύκολο, τη μετάφραση της φράσης kill what I adore στα Λατινικά.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb, 2009, 05:08:35 by billberg23 »

vmelas

[Ego] Caedo quis ego adore

I presumed here that the pronoun before the verb "kill" is "I". Let me know if I misunderstood.

third eye

• Semi-Newbie
ευχαριστώ πολύ αύτο ακριβώς ήθελα

vbd.

[Ego] Caedo quis ego adore

What kind of form is "adore"?

I'd go for:
caedo quidquid amo

"adoro" has a different meaning in Latin, most of the times it implies adoration of gods and such.
At last, I have peace.

vmelas

Apologies for the misspelling of the verb. It should have read "adoro". Amo on the other hand is plain old "love" .. love is not equal to adore. Adore is more ardent and has more passion.

"I love chocolate" is not the same as "I adore chocolate".

vbd.

Apologies for the misspelling of the verb. It should have read "adoro". Amo on the other hand is plain old "love" .. love is not equal to adore. Adore is more ardent and has more passion.

"I love chocolate" is not the same as "I adore chocolate".

Like I said, "adoro" in Latin is different in meaning so it doesn't really work well here. "adoro" rather translates to "worship" than "love passionately". And when I say worship, I mean literally worship, whether it's the deified emperor or a God. Not as in "I worship chocolate" :-P

Also, what kind of form is "quis"?
At last, I have peace.

vmelas

I still disagree with the choice of amo .. And you cannot convince me that Latin has no other verbs that will convey the idea of adore as we perceive it nowadays.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Maybe reading some Catullus in Latin, Valentini, and noticing how he uses amo, would convince you otherwise.  We'd be glad to help you translate.  You could start with poem #3, then go on to 5, then 8, etc.  It would be a great way to learn Latin!  ((-;

vmelas

Maybe reading some Catullus in Latin, Valentini, and noticing how he uses amo, would convince you otherwise.  We'd be glad to help you translate.  You could start with poem #3, then go on to 5, then 8, etc.  It would be a great way to learn Latin!  ((-;

Many thanks for the offer Bill but I do not need help translating Latin. I did more than my fair share during my university years. Still, I do hold my position that in the whole Latin language there are stronger shades than just amo.

Since I used chocolate as an example, let me  just note that when you adore something you almost worship it. And in the case of human love, you have eyes only for that person. If that is not worshiping then what is?

I guess that in the end it is personal perception of the word that has keep this discussion going.

oberonsghost

I'd be happy to read some Catullus with Alex and Billberg...can we make fun of Fordyce's prudery?  Please?

Weighing into this debate, I have to agree that adoro connotes very much a religious adoration (comprised of ad + oro).  Lewis & Shorts excellent definition is onlined here, courtesy of the Perseus project.

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3D%23982

Compare with their entry for amo

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.04.0059%3Aentry%3D%232281

M
« Last Edit: 03 Feb, 2009, 12:14:47 by oberonsghost »
Πουλιὰ τὸ βάρος τῆς καρδιᾶς μας ψυλὰ μηδενίζοντας καὶ πολὺ γαλάζιο ποὺ ἀγαπήσαμε!  (Ἐλύτης)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I'd be happy to read some Catullus with Alex and Billberg...can we make fun of Fordyce's prudery?  Please?
You're on, M!  There's no love poet past or present who "adores" the way he does, IMHO.  And we can make fun of all the translations — nothing can capture the passion of his Latin!
I"m sure Alex will join us when he gets through his exams ...  Good luck, Alex!

oberonsghost

There's no love poet past or present who "adores" the way he does, IMHO!
I'll see your Catullus and raise you a Sappho when Alex finishes his exams!

Good Luck Alex!

Πουλιὰ τὸ βάρος τῆς καρδιᾶς μας ψυλὰ μηδενίζοντας καὶ πολὺ γαλάζιο ποὺ ἀγαπήσαμε!  (Ἐλύτης)

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Search Tools