Μετάφραση αρχείων .pdf σε προγράμματα μεταφραστικής μνήμης

nature · 26 · 26184

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Μάλιστα... ε μα τότε το αντιγράφουμε και το επικολλούμε και μόνοι μας. Το πρόβλημα είναι μ'αυτά που έχουν μορφή εικόνας!

Όταν  αντιγράφουμε και επικολλούμε μόνοι μας από pdf χάνεται σε μείζονα βαθμό η μορφοποίηση και η διάταξη (για να μην αναφέρω το γεγονός ότι σε κάθε γραμμή προστίθεται σημάδι παραγράφου καθιστώντας δύσκολη τη μετάφραση με μεταφραστικά εργαλεία). Η μηχανή μετατροπής διατηρεί την πλήρη δομή, ακόμη και τις εικόνες.

butterfly

I see...

Καλύτερο OCR ποιο θεωρείτε εσείς ότι είναι; Φαντάζομαι θα ξανασυζητήθηκε το θέμα οπότε παραπέμψτε με στο σχετικό νήμα.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
In the workshop I gave in Buenos Aires, one of my slides (that I originally created several years ago) said this:

No TEnT really supports PDF files directly and no TEnT ever will.

Is this still a valid statement after various tools (Trados, Wordfast, memoQ, and apparently Alchemy Publisher) are now offering PDF support? It did not take me very long to decide to leave the slide untouched, and I still believe in the validity of that statement.

Let me explain. No, let my friend Tuomas Kostiainen explain (Tuomas and I will team up for the ATA tools workshop in Atlanta on June 5 and 6). Tuomas is one of the best-known Trados trainers here in the U.S. and he just sent the PDF translation feature of Trados Studio through its paces. You can read the results right here. These are his final thoughts:

1. Don't think that you can translate PDF files just like Word files even if you can open them in Studio.

2. If you open a PDF file in Studio, review the converted text in the Editor to see if there are problems with tags or hard returns. You can try to fix the problems by adjusting the PDF filter settings in Studio (and then opening/converting the file again) or by first saving the converted source file in Word format in Studio (File > Save Source As...), fixing the problems in Word and then finally opening the fixed Word file for translation in Studio. Remember that you can't edit the source segments in Studio, so the errors need to be fixed before you start translating the file.

3. If you need to convert PDF files frequently, consider buying a good conversion program, such as ABBYY Fine Reader (or PDF Converter) or Nuance OmniPage (or PDF Converter). They do the job much better, offer many more conversion options, allow editing and can be used for many other situations as well.

I am with him all the way.

You see, each of the TEnTs that offer PDF support use a third-party solution (Trados uses a converter by Solid Documents, Wordfast by BCL, and memoQ by Glyph & Cog) to convert the PDFs into a Word or text file and offer a translation interface for that. The problems that they encounter are similar to the ones that you encounter when converting PDFs, including the ones that Tuomas describes.

Please don't misunderstand—I think it's great that there is some support for text within PDFs. But it's important to understand that this is all it is. It's not supporting PDFs as files like it would treat Word or FrameMaker documents, but as containers of texts that are placed into another format—and sometimes the display and formatting within that format is similar to the originating PDF and sometimes it's not.

International Writers' Group - Jost Zetzsche
The Tool Kit, a biweekly technical newsletter for people in the translation industry
A computer newsletter for translation professionals

Issue 10-5-166
(the one hundred sixty-sixth edition)
« Last Edit: 08 Jun, 2010, 10:40:07 by spiros »

Emelor

Hi everybody,
I tried to open a PDF document in the Editor SDL Trados 2009 but in vain, its layout was corrupted. I also tried to convert it to a word document, no use. Could someone illuminate me because I do not know much about it? Thank you very much.  
« Last Edit: 09 Jun, 2010, 11:50:47 by Emelor »

Search Tools