When a thousand people believe some made-up story for one month, that's fake news. When a billion people believe it for a thousand years, that's a religion.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
I am aware that many people might be upset by my equating religion with fake news, but that’s exactly the point. When a thousand people believe some made-up story for one month, that’s fake news. When a billion people believe it for a thousand years, that’s a religion, and we are admonished not to call it fake news in order not to hurt the feelings of the faithful (or incur their wrath). Note, however, that I am not denying the effectiveness or potential benevolence of religion. Just the opposite. For better or worse, fiction is among the most effective tools in humanity’s toolkit.
https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/aug/05/yuval-noah-harari-extract-fake-news-sapiens-homo-deus

Θρησκείες: Όταν χίλιοι άνθρωποι πιστέψουν μία κατασκευασμένη ιστορία για ένα μήνα, αυτό είναι πλαστές ειδήσεις. Όταν ένα δισεκατομμύριο άνθρωποι την πιστέψουν για χίλια χρόνια, πρόκειται για θρησκεία.
— Yuval Noah Harari: 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, Ν. Υ. 2018
Νίκος Δήμου: Οι Θεοί που σκοτώνουν
« Last Edit: 14 Mar, 2020, 19:33:38 by spiros »

Search Tools