Our wedding day, a new life has its start. We'll share with each other one love, one dream, one heart. → Τη μέρα του γάμου μας, μια νέα ζωή ξεκινά. Θα μοιραστούμε οι δυο μας μία αγάπη, ένα όνειρο, μία καρδιά.

Guest · 15 · 10255

yiota

"Our wedding day, a new life has its start. We'll share with each other one love, one dream, one heart."

"Meletios & Panayiota have chosen the first day of their new life together as 16 July 2005. You are invited to celebrate with them, their marriage."

So sorry, i know it's long but i havent been able to find anyone who can help me with this. Any help would be appreciated :-)
« Last Edit: 18 Feb, 2007, 15:13:50 by wings »

Leon

"Η ημέρα γάμου μας, μια καινούργια ζωή έχει ξεκίνημα. Θα την μοιραζόμαστε μαζί μια αγάπη, ένα όνειρο, μια καρδιά."

"Ο Μελετίος και η Παναγιώτα έχουν διαλέξει την 16η Ιουλίου 2005 να αρχίσουν την καινούργιά τους ζωή. Είστε καλεσμένος/καλεσμένη/καλεσμένοι να γιορτάσεις μαζί τους τον γάμο τους."

Hope I helped,
Leon
«Όποιος ελεύθερα συλλογάται συλλογάται καλά»
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

banned8

Sorry, Leon, but I beg to differ in some details. Here's my slightly improved version:

Τη μέρα του γάμου μας, μια νέα ζωή ξεκινά. Θα μοιραστούμε οι δυο μας μία αγάπη, ένα όνειρο, μία καρδιά.

Ο Μελέτιος και η Παναγιώτα διάλεξαν τη 16η Ιουλίου 2005 σαν την πρώτη μέρα της νέας αυτής ζωής που θα ζήσουν μαζί. Σας καλούμε να γιορτάσετε μαζί τους το γάμο τους.

Leon

I'm very, very sorry, I see Nickel is correct, I won't post translations here again. A couple of things though: I don't agree with Nickel's "Τη μέρα του γάμου μας, μια νέα ζωή ξεκινά" and I see Nickel's uses of the simple future — why not use the continuous because they will be getting married and spending the rest of their lives together, that is to say, continuous should be used, shouldn't it?! They're not going to share their lives together for a short period of time, it will last on forever!?!?

Leon
« Last Edit: 26 Apr, 2005, 21:41:10 by Leon »
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Dear Leon, hi again.

I have just now noticed your post. First of all, you are always welcome to post translations here and you can correct us whenever we are wrong or vice versa. :-) This is the only way to help the askers.

As for "Μια νέα ζωή ξεκινά", there is no need for continuous tense here. It takes only a moment for something to start, a start does not take months or years in this case. Present Simple is the best tense to use here, to emphasize that this is just the beginning but also a wedding is or is supposed to be an important "hour/moment" in someone's life, isn't it? So what Nickos stresses out is that it only takes a day/an hour for a new life to start. Then, as you can see, he goes on with future tenses.

I hope it is clearer now.:-)

Vicky
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

Leon

Hey Vicky!

No, I meant I don't understand why he used simple future in the following phrases: "Θα μοιραστούμε" (shouldn't it be continuous? You are supposed to be sharing for the rest of your life, not just once or for a short moment of time!), "θα ζήσουν" (they won't live together for just a short amount of time, it is supposed to be forever, so shouldn't the continuous be used?).

Leon
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hi Leon.

I can see your point now. Well, in the first case you could also say "θα μοιραζόμαστε" and I think you are right - it is the best way to show it will be like that forever. In the second case "θα ζήσουν" is preferable to show that this is a decision and so it will happen.

Vicky

Leon

What do you mean 'to show that this is a decision'? They'll still (hopefully!) live together forever, which is continuous surely?!
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Well, never think in Greek the way you think in English or vice versa.:-)

But in this case, even in English I doubt if anybody would say "they have chosen XXXX (day) as the first day for the life they will be living together"........

When we say this is the first life of a life in common you say "η ζωή που θα ζήσουν" not "η ζωή που θα ζουν" because all emphasis on the fulfilment of their decision will be lost.

Also don't forget the verb "ζω" has a common form for present and future - so whenever necessary we use "ζήσω" to show that this will definitely happen in the future because it is a decision.

Vicky

Leon

Hmmm, I don't really understand any better. if the continuous future was used, how would it lose the emphasis on the fulfilment of the decision? But still, despite all this, they will still be living together forever?!

Leon ?!?!
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

Leon

:-) I know but on a wedding day you wouldn't be thinking about splitting up would you :-)

Would it be wrong to use the continuous, or would you still think it as acceptable? I think I'd prefer that...
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

Leon

OK so under what circumstances would the continuous be better?

P.S read my post on the Greek to English translations forum.
- Ρήγας Φερραίος

Search Tools