Integrating dictionaries in word

jglenis

Hello everyone, as I was working on a translation and having to roll from window to window to check dictionaries I asked myself a question I couldn’t answer so I thought maybe share it with you and see where this will lead. So,
Bearing in mind that Microsoft office is what it is, and that translators’ demands are what they are, and the huge gap between the two concepts, please tell me if you’d classify my question just following, closer to the realm of secular, unrealistic, alien, or sheer fantasy: is it possible in Microsoft word to insert the data from a chosen electronic dictionary so that with the right click on a word the dictionary rendering(s) will appear next to the ‘translate’ option? Thanks.
Life is like a grammar lesson. You find the past perfect and the present tense.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
1. Use a CAT tool (Wordfast is especially friendly in using your glossaries even in Word format)
2. Some electronic dictionaries have native shortcuts for a look-up function, i.e. Magenta Golden has Alt+1 (configurable).
3. You can use custom-made macros to automate look-up (with a macro recording utility for example - https://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?topic=1411.0)

jglenis

Spiros, thank you. I'm missing some considerable feedback before I reach the level at which you actually start, but working on it. I did follow all the links you provided and that's a good start. My simplistic idea was to create a word document (at least with all the glossaries I have) and search through it in the future with word's 'find' option...so, accordingly, I was looking for a way to retrieve the data from a given dictionary and transfer it to a word document. Anyway, that was my idea.
Life is like a grammar lesson. You find the past perfect and the present tense.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
That is the slowest and most cumbersome method imaginable. I recommend using a CAT tool for this or a macro (no new info!).

Search Tools