Πάντα ταῦτα ἐπείρασα ἐν τῇ σοφίᾳ: εἶπα Σοφισθήσομαι, καὶ αὐτὴ ἐμακρύνθη ἀπ' ἐμοῦ· κτλ. (Εcclesiastes 7:23f., LXX version) → I tried to give proof in wisdom of all those things; I said, "I will be wise," but that wisdom was far from me ...

luisffmendes

The greek is from LXX, Ecclesiastes 7:23-24:

23 Πάντα ταῦτα ἐπείρασα ἐν τῇ σοφίᾳ: εἶπα Σοφισθήσομαι, 24 καὶ αὐτὴ ἐμακρύνθη ἀπ’ ἐμοῦ μακρὰν ὑπὲρ ὃ ἦν, καὶ βαθὺ βάθος, τίς εὑρήσει αὐτό;

I can propose these translations:

α) I tried to give proof in wisdom of all these things: I said “I shall be expert/ wise”, and (or but) that was far away from me, too far away, and too deep from that which was the case: so, who will be able to reach (or to find, i.e. to grasp or to grab) it?

β) All these things have I proved in wisdom: I said, I will be wise; but it was far from me. That - which is far beyond what was, and a great depth - who shall find it out?

Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: 12 Jun, 2012, 19:40:56 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Both translations seem to grasp the essential meaning, i.e.
I tried to give proof in wisdom of all those things;  I said, "I will be wise,"
but that wisdom was far from me.  Who is going to discover that which is far beyond all precedent (= "what has been"), and deep in depth?

We'll make an exception just this once to the 12-word limit (see The Rules;  click at top of page).
« Last Edit: 12 Jun, 2012, 19:43:30 by billberg23 »

RKAT

Search Tools