ἐξάγω κῶλον τραγίσκιον → bring out a limping he-goat leg, a game played at Tarentum?

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Probably χωλόν is right, but it beats me what the Tarentines were up to.  I suppose it's possible that their "game" was actually a poetic contest, that the adjective τραγίσκιος designates a genre (like βουκολικός), and that the "limp" had to do with the meter of the song/poem (cf. choliambic). In other words, ἐξάγω χωλὸν τραγίσκιον could be, like Aristotle's οἱ ἐξάρχοντες τὸν διθύραμβον (Poetics 1449a), "begin the limping goat-song."  But that's all pure speculation.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb, 2019, 22:31:11 by billberg23 »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Interesting, I guess κῶλον is a plain error or perhaps a dialectal form of χωλὸν? But, if this was the case, shouldn't it be κωλὸν?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I'm pretty sure that the Tarentine dialect, or any dialect, wouldn't alter an initial aspirated "k"-phoneme.  Although the MS tradition for χωλὸν is pretty strong, there's a chance that κῶλον may be the right reading, especially if it refers to a metrical unit ("the goat-meter").  Otherwise, it's a plain error, as you suggest. 
« Last Edit: 01 Feb, 2019, 11:59:12 by billberg23 »

Search Tools