αντίδικος → opposing party, adverse party, litigant, party to a suit

sandra · 11 · 8126

sandra

Για σας

Εγω ειμαι εδω  αλλα μονο διαυαζω τι γραφετε οτι η ελληνικη μου δεν ειναι καλα και εσεις εισται μεγαλη βοηθια για μενα . Το προβλιμα μου τωρα ειναι αυτο
"Ισχυριζεται δε ολως λανθασμενα η αντιδικος οτι εν συνεχεια της ως ανω καταθεσεως της εχει δηθεν καλοπιστως αποκτησει δικαιωματα και επι των προιοντων της 30 κλασεως."

Επισης δεν ξερω τι σημενουν αυτες τις λεξεις
διασχηματισμο
αποκτησει
αντιδικος
επελεχθη
ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ
« Last Edit: 09 Jan, 2021, 10:30:46 by spiros »

Pink Panther

• Τσα!
Hello,

here are some of the words: ισχυρίζεται = claims
                                        if "αποκτήσει" refers to "δικαιώματα" then = obtain rights
                                        κατάθεση = testimony
                                        αντίδικος = litigant (? - but I'm not sure)
I don't understand though what do you mean by "διασχηματισμό". Could you sent the whole sentence?

Κάθε που νιώθω μοναξιά, σκέφτομαι πως υπάρχεις
Και θέλω να 'ρθω εκεί κοντά, τίποτα να μην πάθεις

banned8

Roughly:

The opposing party wrongly claims that, after her deposition/testimony, she has, in good faith, also gained rights on the products...

διασχηματισμός = trade dress (see below)
αποκτήσει = gained, obtained
αντίδικος = opposing party, litigant
επελέχθη = was chosen
« Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2006, 14:23:44 by nickel »

NatCat

Sandra,

[Original reply translated into English as nickel helpfully suggested.]

You are obviously translating a legal text (lawsuit?). Translating legal documents from or into English is arguably the most difficult kind of technical translation. The reason: The Anglo-american legal system is very different from continenal legal systems. Only a lawyer familar with both systems is capable of producing a proper translation. So it is not surprising that you encounter difficulties, especially since your Greek is not perfect. If you can, show your translation to a lawyer friend of yours and ask for his or her opinion. It is very likely that your translation will have problems.

Let me try to help:

διασχηματισμός= Never heard of this. Thanks to nickel for explaining!

αποκτήσει (υποτακτική [να αποκτήσει] ή μέλλοντας [θα αποκτήσει] του αποκτώ)= to acquire; to obtain; to get. What is the context?

αντίδικος= opposite party. However, it is an expression very rarely used in English. "Plaintiff" or "defendant" are preferable terms. On the other hand, if this is not a simple lawsuit that we are dealing with but a special procedure, other terms may be preferable. 

επελέχθη (αόριστος του επιλέγομαι)= to select; to choose

The sentence you are trying to translate features all the typical qualities of Greek legal writing: Poor and opaque writing and long sentences to boot. Not a piece of cake to translate. It could be translated as follows:

"The opposite party (better: "the plaintiff" or "the defendant") claims entirely falsely that, following her testimony as above, she has acquired rights also to class 30 products, allegedly in good faith. "

My translation retains the flavour of the original text. (In this case, not a particularly good thing!)

Notes:

εν συνεχεία: I'm not sure what this refers to.
κατάθεση: May be translated as "testimony" or"deposition". Depends on whether the testimony took place inside a courtroom or not.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2006, 14:52:44 by NatCat »

banned8

Πρώτον, να συγχαρώ τον/την NatCat για τη λεπτομερή απόδοση του κειμένου (αν είχες γράψει τα σχόλια στα αγγλικά, θα καταλάβαινε περισσότερα η sandra). Βοήθησες και πολύ και όλους μας!

Βρήκα ότι ο διασχηματισμός είναι η ελληνική απόδοση του Ausstattung, οπότε στα αγγλικά: trade dress (distinctive product appearance protected by law: the legally protected distinctive packaging of a product). Στο γλωσσάρι, γρήγορα!
« Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2006, 14:22:54 by nickel »

elena petelos

• Qui ne dit mot consent.
Για το "κατάθεση", μια και αναφέρονται οι κλάσεις (30 - ευρεσιτεχνία - κατάθεση σήματος κ.λπ.), παίζει και το "(brand) submission" κλπ. Σίγουρα, μία πρόταση δεν είναι αρκετή.

Καλή δουλειά.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan, 2006, 21:01:58 by epetelos »

banned8

Για το "κατάθεση", μια και αναφέρονται οι κλάσεις (30- ευρεσιτεχνία - κατάθεση σήματος κ.λπ.), παίζει και το "(brand) submission κλπ. Σίγουρα, μία πρόταση δεν είναι αρκετή.

Excellent inspiration. I had no idea what these 'classes' referred to (nor the patience to search for them).

NatCat

Για το "κατάθεση", μια και αναφέρονται οι κλάσεις (30 - ευρεσιτεχνία - κατάθεση σήματος κ.λπ.), παίζει και το "(brand) submission" κλπ. Σίγουρα, μία πρόταση δεν είναι αρκετή.

You are absolutely right. "Κατάθεση" makes more sense as "submission" or "filing a trade mark application". The classes refer to the standard categories of goods and services that a trademark distinguishes. For instance, international class 30 includes staple foods such as coffee, sugar, flour etc.

I should point out that "brand" and "trade mark" are not interchangeable: Roughly, a trademark is a brand comprehensively protected by law whereas a brand is not in principle protected by law. A brand becomes a trademark through the process of registration.

(And that's pretty much all I remember about trade marks...)

elena petelos

• Qui ne dit mot consent.

You are absolutely right. "Κατάθεση" makes more sense as "submission" or "filing a trade mark application". The classes refer to the standard categories of goods and services that a trademark distinguishes. For instance, international class 30 includes staple foods such as coffee, sugar, flour etc.

I should point out that "brand" and "trade mark" are not interchangeable: Roughly, a trademark is a brand comprehensively protected by law whereas a brand is not in principle protected by law. A brand becomes a trademark through the process of registration.

(And that's pretty much all I remember about trade marks...)

Absolutely, a trademark is a legal construct.

sandra

Για σασ
 ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ ΣΕ ΟΛΟΥΣ
 Μονο αυτες τις λεξεις αλλα σας παρακαλω as fast as you can - urgent
δυα ταυτα εξαιτουμεθα
επιφυλασσομεθα
μανον
ολοκληρους, αλεσμενος η καβουρδισμενουσ

NatCat

δυα ταυτα εξαιτουμεθα = for these reasons, we demand
επιφυλασσομεθα = we reserve (the right)
μανον = sp? Could it be a misspelled "μόνον"; (= only, solely). "Μανόν" in some areas means "nail polish" but Ι feel that this meaning is rather irrelevant to your text...
ολοκληρους, αλεσμενος η καβουρδισμενους = whole, ground or roasted

Good luck.

Search Tools