no one is given more than they can handle → σε κανέναν δεν δίνονται περισσότερα από όσα μπορεί να αντεπεξέλθει

Guest · 4 · 4677

Foreverlad

While watching television I came across an old quote I was hoping to turn into a nice Photoshopped gift. Problem is, to add a little weight to it, I was hoping to use the greek translation.

The quote is:  "No one is given more than they can handle."

Could anyone translate this into modern Greek for me?
More importantly, does anyone know a website that could offer me a fairly easy to decipher transliteration of the phrase once it's been translated?

Many thanks.
« Last Edit: 20 Jun, 2015, 18:33:43 by spiros »

Foreverlad

Update:

Through an online English>Greek translator, I managed this:

κανένας δίνω περισσότερο παρά κλπ δύναμαι χειρίζομαι

which reads (roughly, and probably incorrectly):  No one give more than they can handle.

Of course, I was having a problem with handle because I kept getting nouns for a word like knob, instead of the verb for "to deal with".  I don't know if I have the right forms of words, I don't know how tenses work in greek (give, giving, given), and if words such as "is" are used.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

Yavanian

"Σε κανέναν δεν δίνονται περισσότερα από όσα μπορεί να αντεπεξέλθει.

This is Greek".

Συγγνωμη φιλε Σπυρο αλλα, αλλα στην προκειμενη περιπτωση το αγγλικο  ρημα "to handle" εχει πολυ πιο πλησιεστερη εννοια στο Ελληνικο ρημα "χειριζομαι'  απο οτι στο "αντεπεξερχομαι". Επομενως, θα ηταν μαλλον προτιμοτερο να το μεταφραζαμε ουτως: "Σε κανεναν δεν δινονται περισσοτερα απ' οσα μπορει (δυναται) να χειρισθει......

ΥΓ. Θα ηθελα να προσθεσω οτι η λεξη-ρημα "αντεπεξερχομαι" ερχεται τριτη στην μεταφραστικη σειρα της λεξης "handle" μετα το χειριζομαι και το διεκπεραιω.

Φιλικα, Michael:)

Search Tools