το δις εξαμαρτείν ουκ ανδρός σοφού → a wise man should not keep making the same mistake, a wise man should not repeat the same mistake, doing twice the same mistake is not a wise man's doing, making the same mistake twice does not befit the wise, making the same mistake twice does not belong to a man who is wise, making the same mistake twice does not belong to a wise man, the wise man does not make the same mistake twice, to commit the same sin twice is not a sign of a wise man, never make the same mistake twice, it is unwise to err twice, two wrongs do not make a right

spiros · 1 · 8314

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
το δις εξαμαρτείν ουκ ανδρός σοφούa wise man should not keep making the same mistake, a wise man should not repeat the same mistake, doing twice the same mistake is not a wise man's doing, making the same mistake twice does not befit the wise, making the same mistake twice does not belong to a man who is wise, making the same mistake twice does not belong to a wise man, the wise man does not make the same mistake twice, to commit the same sin twice is not a sign of a wise man, never make the same mistake twice, it is unwise to err twice, two wrongs do not make a right, committing the same sin twice is not a sign of a wise man, committing the same sin twice is not the way of a wise man, there is no education in the second kick of a mule,
fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me, fool me once, shame on thee; fool me twice, shame on me

τό δίς ἐξαμαρτεῖν ούκ ἀνδρός σοφοῦ
δὶς ἐξαμαρτεῖν ταὐτὸν οὐκ ἀνδρὸς σοφοῦ
δεν είναι έξυπνος αυτός που επαναλαμβάνει τα λάθη του

Azerbaijani: Eşşək girdiyi palçığa bir də girməz (literally “a donkey would never enter the same mud it has already been in”)
French: Qui me trompe une fois, honte à lui; qui me trompe deux fois, honte à moi./Piège-moi une fois, honte sur toi, piège-moi deux fois, honte sur moi.
Hungarian: Ha egyszer átversz, az a te szégyened. Ha kétszer átversz, az már az enyém.
Persian: یک بار گولم زدی، تو خجالت بکش. دوبار گولم بزنی من باید خجالت بکشم.‎
Romanian: dacă mă păcălești o dată, să-ți fie rușine; dacă mă păcălești de două ori, să-mi fie mie rușine
Russian: у́мный челове́к два́жды на одни́ и те же гра́бли не насту́пит
fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me - Wiktionary
« Last Edit: 30 Apr, 2022, 21:59:56 by spiros »

Search Tools