Open external sites in new tabs instead of new windows (Firefox only)

spiros · 1 · 4708

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
I am quite frustrated everytime I click on a link and it opens a new window. This makes the whole process slower. I searched high and low and found a trick to force all links opening in a new window to open in a new tab instead. There is some hacking involved though...

Open external links in new windows or tabs

There are some hidden options for the Tabbed Browsing that will allow you to force links that open new windows to open in the current or a new tab. First, add the following code to your user.js file:
// Reveal more tab/window options:
user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs", true);

Restart Firefox and go to Tools > Options... (Edit > Preferences... under Linux and Mac OS X), select Advanced and click on Tabbed Browsing. The following options should be visible:
Force links that open new windows to open in:

• the same tab/window as the link
  • a new tab
  • [/i]

If another program wants to display a web page in the default browser, Firefox will reuse an existing window by default, which means that it will navigate from a page you might be reading. To stop this, Go to Tools > Options... (Edit > Preferences... under Linux and Mac OS X), select Advanced and click on Tabbed Browsing. Under "Open links from other applications in:", you can choose the alternative you prefer.
Reveal More Tab/Window Options.

Links
« Last Edit: 01 Mar, 2006, 15:04:51 by spiros »

Search Tools