my God, my God, why have you forsaken me → ἠλὶ ἠλὶ, λιμᾶ σαβαχθανί | ἠλὶ ἠλὶ, λαμᾶ σαβαχθανί | Θεέ μου, Θεέ μου, ἵνα τί με ἐγκατέλιπες (Μatthew 27:46)

GunDownGrace

• Semi-Newbie
Read the rules and hope I'm doing this right. I would really appreciate any input. I'm wanting to get "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani" tattooed on me, in English means My God, My God, Why have you forsaken me? I use to take greek and I tried to translate, but its been a long while since then. I translated Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani into Δε βρέθηκαν λέξεις για
Is that correct or did I totally mess it up?
Thanks for your time
« Last Edit: 26 Jan, 2024, 10:56:52 by spiros »

mavrodon

The last words Jesus uttered on the Holy Cross were in Aramaic (his native language). Your translation into English is correct. In the New Testament, written in Greek of the Hellenistic period with the exception of Matthew's composed in Hebrew, the words were reproduced as they sounded with the explanation in Greek.

Matthew 27:46
Around the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, saying "Eli Eli lema sabachthani?" which is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
46 περὶ δὲ τὴν ἐνάτην ὥραν ἀνεβόησεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς φωνῇ μεγάλῃ λέγων· Ἠλὶ ἠλὶ, λιμᾶ σαβαχθανί; τοῦτ’ ἔστι Θεέ μου, Θεέ μου, ἱνα τί με ἐγκατέλιπες;
Mark 15:34
And at the ninth hour, Jesus shouted in a loud voice, "Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani?" which is translated, "My God, my God, for what have you forsaken me?"
34 καὶ τῇ ὥρᾳ τῇ ἐνάτῃ ἐβόησεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς φωνῇ μεγάλῃ λέγων· Ἐλωῒ Ἐλωῒ, λιμᾶ σαβαχθανί; ὅ ἐστι μεθερμηνευόμενον, ὁ Θεός μου ὁ Θεός μου, εἰς τί με ἐγκατέλιπες; 35

(see Language of Jesus - Wikipedia, and Το κατά Μάρκον Ευαγγέλιον Κεφ. 15 Καινή Διαθήκη Απόστολος και Ευαγγελιστής Μάρκος | Orthodox Fathers and
Κατά Ματθαίον Ευαγγέλιον Κεφ. 27 Καινή Διαθήκη Απόστολος και Ευαγγελιστής Ματθαίος | Orthodox Fathers).
Some staunch supporters of the Greek heritage claim that "Eli Eli lama sabachthani"  was of Greek origin, an assertion which is highly disputable. Although Jesus knew some Greek, it is doudtful that his last words would be spoken in other language than his native tongue,
« Last Edit: 20 Nov, 2021, 20:30:24 by spiros »

Viperalus

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
Μάλλον λόγω διαφορετικής μεταγραφής των αραμαϊκών:

ELOI, ELOI, LAMA SABACHTHANI (ā'lē, ā'lē, lă'mă sabăch'thănē). The English transliteration of a Greek phrase (Matt.27.46; Mark.15.34), which in turn is a transliteration of either the Hebrew or an Aramaic version of Ps.22.1. The phrase as it appears in the best text of Matthew is closer to Aramaic; in Mark it is closer to Hebrew.
https://www.biblicaltraining.org/library/eloi-eloi-lama-sabachthani-0

Search Tools