Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257046

banned8

computerguy

• Semi-Newbie

Hey guys,  My family has a saying “Happy Happy” which came from “Happy Healthy”.   Is there any chance I can get somebody to translate that to Ancient Greek or Modern Greek?
Happy Happy “Healthy”

for me please!
-Rob

AmberH

• Semi-Newbie
I actually already got the tattoo of "love" as ερως , and I didn't really do my research quite well and the ρ was tattooed on with the a curve at the bottom instead of it going straight down, don't know how I got that mistake, but ερως is a term for love right?  And I'm looking to tattoo the word live, as in "to live" or "live!"  I tried searching on here for a post that already had it, but I only was finding phrases with it.  I'm sorry if this more of a nuisance if it's been answered many times. I'm new :(

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ἔρως means "Love" all right, Amber, but it's the noun (and name of the ancient god), not the verb.  If you want the verb in ancient Greek, it's usually given as ἀγάπα ("love!").  And the ancient word for "live!" is ζῆ or ζῆθι.  But let us know if you prefer modern Greek.

And if you want the word for "life" (to match the noun you've already tattooed), it's ζωή, in both ancient and modern Greek.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov, 2007, 08:02:04 by billberg23 »

AmberH

• Semi-Newbie
well that's what i get for tattoing too quickly, but thank you very much for the info, it's much appreciated! :) :)

deadsonja

• Semi-Newbie
First off, what a fantastic forum!  I can't believe this exists, it's just too perfect... Anyway, I was contemplating getting a tattoo, 'Achilles' on one arm and 'Hector' on the other - would anyone be able to give me their names as written in Ancient Greek?

Thanks a lot!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Anyway, I was contemplating getting a tattoo, 'Achilles' on one arm and 'Hector' on the other - would anyone be able to give me their names as written in Ancient Greek?
ΑΧΙΛΛΕΥΣ   (Ἀχιλλεύς)
ΕΚΤΩΡ          (Ἕκτωρ)
« Last Edit: 13 Nov, 2007, 13:27:14 by nickel »

ashley5306

If someone could please translate these bible verses for me.. i know one of the original bibles was greek.. and i am greek.. so i would like all these verses in greek tattood on my back.  could you translate verse by verse in NIV translation.. so it's easier to understand?  or would it be better to get the verses right out of the greek bible? 

Thanks!

1st Corrinthians 13:4-8

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away

1st Corrinthians 13:13

13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

1st John 4:8

8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because(B) God is love

thank you

could you translate one more:

Matthew 22:37-38 NIV

Jesus said, "love the lord your god with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment"

THANKS AGAIN!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If someone could please translate these bible verses for me..
Please check the Rules (blue/yellow button at top of this page) before posting, Ashley:  one quotation per post, and nothing over 12 words long.  Thanks!

Karmh72

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,
I am so stunned this place exists! I have been looking for a translation since I was 15 for one single word!
Its a Latin word and as such I can't seem to find a translation to Greek or ancient Greek. If you could help I would forever be in debt! the word is :

Incommendatus

my question is if there's a difference between modern and ancient greek versions, what's the right pronunciation of it, is there just a correct form of writning it or is there a normal one and a more aulic one with long or short accents? This is for a tattoo down my spine,, I just graduated from the university and I am at last ready for it

Thank you !
Heather
« Last Edit: 14 Nov, 2007, 04:56:02 by Karmh72 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Incommendatus

my question is if there's a difference between modern and ancient greek versions, what's the right pronunciation of it, is there just a correct form of writning it or is there a normal one and a more aulic one with long or short accents? This is for a tattoo down my spine
The word for "abandoned," "left behind" is basically the same in both ancient and modern Greek, though the forms are slightly different.  In ancient Greek, it's ἐγκαταλειφθείς.  Since you're female, you'd probably want the feminine form: ἐγκαταλειφθεῖσα.
In modern Greek, it's εγκαταλειμμένος (feminine εγκαταλειμμένη). 
Now I'll give you the pronunciation for the feminine forms, ancient first: eng-kah-tah-leef-thee-sa (stress on bold syllable, "th" as in "thing")
Modern:  eng-ka-tah-leem-meh-nee.
No "aulic" forms. Greek is too democratic for that stuff.  :-)))
There is, however, upper case:
ΕΓΚΑΤΑΛΕΙΦΘΕΙΣΑ, ΕΓΚΑΤΑΛΕΙΜΜΕΝΗ
« Last Edit: 14 Nov, 2007, 17:54:12 by billberg23 »

user10

If someone could please translate these bible verses for me.. i know one of the original bibles was greek.. and i am greek.. so i would like all these verses in greek tattood on my back.  could you translate verse by verse in NIV translation.. so it's easier to understand?  or would it be better to get the verses right out of the greek bible?

I don't quite get what you mean by "translate verse by verse in NIV". There is already a translation, or not?
Anyway, as for the original text in Greek (the New Testament was written in Greek), I am copy-pasting the text as is found in the official library site of the (orthodox) Church of Greece. However, as Billberg pointed out, be careful not to ask for any translations of phrases longer than 12 words.

1st Corrinthians 13:4-8

4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. 7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away

4 Ἡ ἀγάπη μακροθυμεῖ, χρηστεύεται, ἡ ἀγάπη οὐ ζηλοῖ, ἡ ἀγάπη οὐ περπερεύεται, οὐ φυσιοῦται, 5 οὐκ ἀσχημονεῖ, οὐ ζητεῖ τὰ ἑαυτῆς, οὐ παροξύνεται, οὐ λογίζεται τὸ κακόν, 6 οὐ χαίρει ἐπὶ τῇ ἀδικίᾳ, συγχαίρει δὲ τῇ ἀληθείᾳ· 7 πάντα στέγει, πάντα πιστεύει, πάντα ἐλπίζει, πάντα ὑπομένει.8 Ἡ ἀγάπη οὐδέποτε ἐκπίπτει. εἴτε δὲ προφητεῖαι, καταργηθήσονται· εἴτε γλῶσσαι, παύσονται· εἴτε γνῶσις, καταργηθήσεται

1st Corrinthians 13:13

So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love

νυνὶ δὲ μένει πίστις, ἐλπίς, ἀγάπη, τὰ τρία ταῦτα· μείζων δὲ τούτων ἡ ἀγάπη

1st John 4:8

Anyone who does not love does not know God, because(B) God is love

ὁ μὴ ἀγαπῶν οὐκ ἔγνω τὸν Θεόν, ὅτι ὁ Θεὸς ἀγάπη ἐστίν

Matthew 22:37-38 NIV

Jesus said, "love the lord your god with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.  This is the first and greatest commandment"

37 ὁ δὲ Ἰησοῦς ἔφη αὐτῷ· Ἀγαπήσεις Κύριον τὸν Θεόν σου ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ καρδίᾳ σου καὶ ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ ψυχῇ σου καὶ ἐν ὅλῃ τῇ διανοίᾳ σου· 38 αὕτη ἐστὶ πρώτη καὶ μεγάλη ἐντολή

And my source: http://www.myriobiblos.gr/bible/default.asp

Try to get some confirmation before tattooing anything, though.

Karmh72

• Semi-Newbie
The word for "abandoned," "left behind" is basically the same in both ancient and modern Greek, though the forms are slightly different.  In ancient Greek, it's ἐγκαταλειφθείς.  Since you're female, you'd probably want the feminine form: ἐγκαταλειφθεῖσα.
In modern Greek, it's εγκαταλειμμένος (feminine εγκαταλειμμένη). 
Now I'll give you the pronunciation for the feminine forms, ancient first: eng-kah-tah-leef-thee-sa (stress on bold syllable, "th" as in "thing")
Modern:  eng-ka-tah-leem-meh-nee.
No "aulic" forms. Greek is too democratic for that stuff.  :-)))
There is, however, upper case:
ΕΓΚΑΤΑΛΕΙΦΘΕΙΣΑ, ΕΓΚΑΤΑΛΕΙΜΜΕΝΗ

Im not sure if it retains the same meaning I have always taken the latin phrase to be much more of a freeing,, lliberating warning   then an abandonment or left behind.
Its translation of "Incommendatus" in english is "without a lord, without a protector"  ,, I must have mistaken the phrase to be abandonment this whole time?!

I know little about the greek language but my grandmother requested if I "desecrate" my body to do it in her native language of which she will not assist me in :p. Is their a direct translation of letters I can use?

Thank you for your time,, this may all be for naught  but I have to at least try to respect Gigia's wishes!
Heather

« Last Edit: 14 Nov, 2007, 17:59:13 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Its translation of "Incommendatus" in english is "without a lord, without a protector"  ,, I must have mistaken the phrase to be abandonment this whole time?!
Sorry, Heather, I was giving you the classical Latin meaning.  In the Middle Ages, it did, apparently, come to mean "unprotected," "without a patron."  In ancient Greek, that would be ἀπρόξενος.  One of the ways to say it in modern Greek is  απροστάτευτη.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov, 2007, 18:29:38 by billberg23 »

Search Tools