nature does nothing in vain → ἡ φύσις οὐθὲν ποιεῖ μάτην, οὐδὲν γὰρ ἡ φύσις ποιεῖ μάτην, οὐθὲν γὰρ μάτην ἡ φύσις ποιεῖ

lettucebereality

• Semi-Newbie
Did a search on this earlier, saw multiple translations for this in latin, (natura nihil frustra facit) and another greek translation (nature does nothing uselessly) on another thread.

Just Looking to get the subject topic properly translated, from Aristotle's "Politics"

Thank you for your time. Much Appreciated.
« Last Edit: 10 Jan, 2020, 09:45:26 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

lettucebereality

• Semi-Newbie
thank you, apparently there are two different ways to translate this if I'm understanding this correctly.

ἡ φύσις οὐθὲν ποιεῖ μάτην
οὐδὲν γὰρ ἡ φύσις ποιεῖ μάτην

the difference between the two?
Sorry just trying to get a clear cut understanding, appreciate the time and help

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
They both mean the same; the syntax is different, which is not surprising given the variations that are allowed in Greek syntax.
Other than that, "οὐθὲν" is used which is a non-standard (non-Attic that is) form of "οὐδὲν" (nothing). "γὰρ" means "for" (= "because").
« Last Edit: 09 Jan, 2020, 20:11:07 by billberg23 »

lettucebereality

• Semi-Newbie
Sorry for the revival of a dead thread fellas.

So my understanding out of this is that all sayings of the following translations mean the same "nature does nothing in vain"

ἡ φύσις οὐθὲν ποιεῖ μάτην

οὐδὲν γὰρ ἡ φύσις ποιεῖ μάτην

οὐθὲν γὰρ μάτην ἡ φύσις ποιεῖ

The poster above me tells me that the syntax is different for each one, does that just mean in which context the text is in, (past present future) or the text relating to (me others or the universe?) Kinda confused moving forward

Thank you all for you help and understanding of this.

billberg23

• Words ail me.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

Search Tools