Kondylis → Κονδύλης

Infinitus

• Semi-Newbie
I was wondering if anybody can give me a meaning for the word "Kondylis" which is greek.
It's my gf's name. She wants to know the meaning.
« Last Edit: 13 Jan, 2006, 12:00:30 by wings »

banned8

Kondyli is a slate pencil. Kondylis is a Greek surname, but I don't know how it may relate to the slate pencil. I'll have a look.

banned8

As I was saying, Kondylis is a surname, and surnames often come from jobs or place names. There is, for example, a place on the Peloponnese called Kondylea, but it's now called Kandyla.

The root of the name may have something to do with kondyli (slate pencil) or kondylos (condyle, a rounded process at the end of a bone serving to form an articulation with another bone; or the tuber of a plant).

Kondylos is also the name given to a shrike (Lanius).

It is also of interest that there's an adjective from 'kondyli', kondylenios, meaning beautiful, picture-perfect. A woman's name that has gone out of fashion is Kondylia or Kondylo (i.e. beautiful).

metafrastis

It is also of interest that there's an adjective from 'kondyli', kondylenios, meaning beautiful, picture-perfect. A woman's name that has gone out of fashion is Kondylia or Kondylo (i.e. beautiful).

I think that someone hit the jackpot

Search Tools