YKON (Bulgarian inscription, 9th cent.) → οἶκον, οἴκων → house, houses'

ohsi · 10 · 2151

ohsi

• Semi-Newbie
Ykon-english translation
« Last Edit: 16 Dec, 2014, 00:00:32 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If this is again from a proto-Bulgarian inscription (please give surrounding context!), it's probably a Slavic word, not a Greek word.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec, 2014, 21:50:52 by billberg23 »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

ohsi

• Semi-Newbie
here is the context/ with the original letters/:KANA CYBIГHWM OMORTAGIS/it is the name of a king/ TON PALEON YKON AYTU MENON EПYHCEN YPERФYMON YKON IC TON DANUBIN.KE ANAMECA TON DUO YKON TON PANFYMON KATAMETRICAC IS TIN MECIN EПYICA TUMBAN.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec, 2014, 20:28:20 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Crystal must be right here.  The substitution of Y for Greek oi is confirmed elsewhere in the inscription: EПYHCEN = epoiēsen, "he made," and EПYICA = epoiēsa, "I made."  So the first two instances of YKON are equivalent to Greek oikon (accusative singular), while the third (ANAMECA TON DUO YKON) = Greek anamesa tōn duo oikōn, "between the two houses," with oikōn being genitive plural.
« Last Edit: 16 Dec, 2014, 00:02:10 by billberg23 »

ohsi

• Semi-Newbie
YPERФYMON YKON -could it means "temple"?

ohsi

• Semi-Newbie
YPERФYMON YKON -probably it is not an ordinary home, but some kind of temple or church. What is your opinion?
« Last Edit: 19 Dec, 2014, 18:18:46 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The YPERФYMON YKON ("splendid dwelling") seems to be more like a palace, ohsi.  The whole sentence seems to say that "the king, while staying in his old dwelling, built a splendid dwelling on the Danube.  And I, after measuring the distance between them, built a tomb in the middle between the two proud dwellings."
« Last Edit: 19 Dec, 2014, 22:39:03 by billberg23 »

Search Tools