Τὴν ἀρχὴν ὅ, τι καὶ λαλω̃ ὑμι̃ν (John 8:25) → Just what I have been saying to you from the very beginning

Guest · 6 · 6389

m1rr0rshade

this is supposedly from John 8:25, but when i looked it up, my bible gave parallel translations.

one read, "what i have told you from the very beginning"

and the other, "why should i speak to you at all?"

so i was wondering which one the above reads, and if neither is accurate, what your best rendering would be.

thanks,
paul
« Last Edit: 16 Apr, 2008, 20:03:51 by billberg23 »

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hello, Paul.

The second one is the best and most accurate translation, i.e. "Why should I speak to you at all?"

The whole verse 8:25 is "So they told him, "Who are you?" Jesus answered, "Why should I speak to you at all?"
and sometimes the translations omit the final question mark symbol of the original text of your phrase, which is " ελεγον ουν αυτω, Συ τίς ει; ειπεν αυτοις ο Ιησους, Την αρχην ο τι και λαλω υμιν;"

My original version of the New Testament, published by the Archdiocese of Athens, gives a question-mark for the end of the phrase.

However, if finally there is no question mark, the first translation you found applies best. I will try to check it out from other sources, too.

I hope it's clear now.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan, 2005, 13:02:47 by wings »
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Dear Paul,

After searching for various versions of the Bible, I came out with the result that there is no question mark at the end of the phrase.

Thus, the exact translation would be "Just what I have been saying to you from the very beginning." I think this is final.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

vmelas

I agree with Vicky's last rendition ....

BTW which were the two versions you were using ?

m1rr0rshade

just one... the Good News Bible

i don't know how authoritative it is, i've had it since i was in grade school....

but it does have footnotes with alternate translations, hence the two versions of the text.

vmelas

Try the King James Bible.. It is the closest translation of the Greek and/or Hebrew text. There is also a version of King James that has on one page the English and on the opposite page the ancient Greek so you can corelate the lines of each passage.

Valentini

Search Tools