ὅτε Θεμιστοκλῆς ἐπὶ τοὺς βαρβάρους ἐξῆγε τοὺς Ἀθηναίους, ἀλεκτρυόνας εἶδεν μαχομένους... (Aelian)

LittleHaze

Again, much longer than 12 words.

ὅτε Θεμιστοκλῆς ἐπὶ τοὺς βαρβάροθς ἐξῆγε τοὺς Ἀθηναίους, ἀλεκτρυόνας εἶδεν μαχομένους. 

ἰδὼν δὲ ἐπέστησε τοὐς ἄνδρας καὶ ἔλεγε πρὸς αὐτούς, ʺοὖτοι μὲν οὐχ ὑπὲρ πατρίδος οὐδὲ ὐπὲρ τῶν θεῶν κακῶς πάσχουσιν, οὐδε ὑπὲρ δόξης οὐδὲ ὑπὲρ ἐλευθερίας οὐδὲ ὑπὲρ παίδων, ἀλλ’ ὑπὲρ τοῦ μὴ ἡττηθῆναι ἕκαστος μηδὲ εἶξαι τῷ ἑτέρῳ ὁ ἕτερος.ʺ

ταῦτα δὴ είπὼν ἐποίησε τοὺς Ἀθηναίους πολὺ προθυμοτέρους εἰς τὴν μάχην. 
« Last Edit: 06 Apr, 2009, 17:25:12 by billberg23 »

vbd.

Yes, it's much longer than 12 words. So tell us what exactly you need help with. Is it a word you don't understand or is there something else that's confusing you?
At last, I have peace.

LittleHaze

Let's remember I'm on my own with this stuff now, so what I have as of now is still gibberish...

When Themistockles...[near, on, against] the foreigners lead out the Athenians..cocks ____ fight/fought.

He saw ____ halted then men and said _____ something something something...

_____ ______ not fight on behalf of their native land not on behalf of the Gods badly suffer, not on behalf of their glory or freedom  or on behalf of their children...

Then I just lost it...Obviously I still have to work on this.  I may not have even translated some of these terms correctly, so...

vbd.

You are more than half-way there. The words you left untranslated are perhaps less than 12 now.

When Themistocles was marching with the Athenians against the barbarians, he witnessed a cockfight.
or, adapting it to what you had so far: When Themistocles against the foreigners was leading out the Athenians, cocks he saw fighting.

When he saw that (note, it's a temporal participle), he halted the men and said to them: "these here (i.e. the cocks) aren't suffering for some homeland or some gods, nor for fame or freedom or their children, but only in order each one (ἔκαστος) not to lose, and not to give way (εἶξαι, from the verb εἴκω) one to the other"

The last sentence you can translate on your own. It's easier than the parts you already translated. Give it a go.
« Last Edit: 06 Apr, 2009, 03:44:20 by vbd. »
At last, I have peace.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
O.K., we see where you need help, Haze:
ἐπὶ ... ἐξῆγε = "was leading out against"
εἶδεν = aorist indicative of βλέπω
ἰδὼν = aorist participle of the same verb = "having seen"
οὖτοι = "these (cocks)"

τοῦ μὴ ἡττηθῆναι = aorist passive infinitive of ἡττέομαι, "to be conquered."  The infinitive is being  used as a noun with the article.  Literally, "(on behalf of) the not-to-be-conquered," so "for the sake of not being beaten."

εἶξαι = aorist active infinitive of εἴκω, "yield"
« Last Edit: 06 Apr, 2009, 17:28:23 by billberg23 »

Search Tools