Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1256939

shesontheverge

• Semi-Newbie
Could someone translate it in both lowercase and uppercase? (For a tat)?
Thankss!
« Last Edit: 07 Apr, 2007, 08:15:09 by alexandra_k »

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Precept

• Semi-Newbie
Hi,

I've read through the first 50 pages of this thread and you guys are amazing people.  Thank you for taking the time out of your days to help the less educated.

I'm writing because I'm looking for a couple of tattoo ideas.  I've been considering getting the name Achilles in Greek lettering down my right flank (where the arm hangs).  Wiki has the translation as Ἀχιλλεύς.  I just wanted to verify that.

Also, I've been trying to find some kind of symbol that isn't too popularized.  I was born in Canada but spent most of my younger years in Kephalonia before I moved to Florida.  I'll most likely be the first in my family not to marry a Greek and I would like something to symbolize my ancestry.  Any help as far as symbols/sayings for the second tattoo would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

- Robert

banned8

Ἀχιλλεὺς

is correct. Let us now think of a good symbol.

Precept

• Semi-Newbie
Thanks for the confirmation.  Anyone have ideas about the symbol/saying?

- Robert

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I'll most likely be the first in my family not to marry a Greek and I would like something to symbolize my ancestry.  Any help as far as symbols/sayings for the second tattoo would be appreciated.
How about a lion or a lion's head, Robert, with the inscription ἕνα ἀλλὰ λέοντα — from Aesop's fable about the lioness who, when asked how many cubs she bears, responds, "Just one, but it's a lion."
(In caps that's ΕΝΑ ΑΛΛΑ ΛΕΟΝΤΑ.)

shesontheverge

• Semi-Newbie

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
would this be in modern or ancient greek?

It is the same word for both Ancient and Modern Greek.
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

wolfy1985

• Semi-Newbie
Hello I wanted to get a tattoo saying "Pain last eons but eternity is peaceful."
I was hoping to get it in the phoenician language but I wasnt sure if it was too rudimentary to be able to spell out that sentence.
I checked an english to ancient greek online translator and it said it would be λεξικό δεν βρήκε καμία λέξη but I wasnt sure which era (Im sure it isnt phoenician) it was from and I wanted to double check the spelling.

kim

ΠΑΡΙΣΤΑΣΘΑΙ ΜΟΙ ΔΙΑΠΑΝΤΟΣ, ΕΩΣ ΑΝ ΝΩΪ ΘΑΝΑΤΟΣ ΔΙΑΙΡΗΙ
Lower case:  παρίστασθαί μοι διαπαντός, ἕως ἂν νῶϊ θάνατος διαιρῇ

Btw, Kim, the English is "till death do us part," = "till death parts us."

Hi Billberg23,

Thanks for helping out with the translation. And for correcting the phrase, didn't realise I wrote the phrase wrongly. ha

After looking at the translation, I realise the phrase is so long, not sure if my arms can fit those words if I tattoo it. If there another alternative for the phrase. If not, I will just go with "Till death do us part" Any advice?

One last request, possible to jpg the phrase for me so I can print it out and give the tattoo artists to stencil it. A nice beautiful greek font will do. Bold or Regular if you have it.

Thank you so much.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr, 2007, 00:04:48 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
ΠΑΡΙΣΤΑΣΘΑΙ ΜΟΙ ΔΙΑΠΑΝΤΟΣ, ΕΩΣ ΑΝ ΝΩΪ ΘΑΝΑΤΟΣ ΔΙΑΙΡΗΙ
Lower case:  παρίστασθαί μοι διαπαντός, ἕως ἂν νῶϊ θάνατος διαιρῇ
One last request, possible to jpg the phrase for me so I can print it out and give the tattoo artists to stencil it. A nice beautiful greek font will do. Bold or Regular if you have it.
You could always put παρίστασθαί μοι διαπαντός on one arm, and ἕως ἂν νῶϊ θάνατος διαιρῇ on the other!
As for the JPG, we'll have to see if the Fontmaster has the time...

« Last Edit: 09 Apr, 2007, 00:06:07 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hello I wanted to get a tattoo saying "Pain last eons but eternity is peaceful."
I was hoping to get it in the phoenician language but I wasnt sure if it was too rudimentary to be able to spell out that sentence.
I checked an english to ancient greek online translator and it said it would be λεξικό δεν βρήκε καμία λέξη but I wasnt sure which era (Im sure it isnt phoenician) it was from and I wanted to double check the spelling.
ΠΟΛΥΧΡΟΝΙΟΣ ΜΕΝ Η ΤΟΥ ΠΑΡΟΝΤΟΣ ΟΔΥΝΗ, ΜΟΝΙΜΟΣ Δ' Η ΤΟΥ ΑΙΩΝΙΟΥ ΕΙΡΗΝΗ
Lower case:  πολυχρόνιος μὲν ἡ τοῦ παρόντος ὀδύνη, μόνιμος δ΄ ἡ τοῦ αἰωνίου είρήνη
I tried to adjust the sentence to Hellenic modes of thought, so that it more or less reads,"Present pain lasts a very long time, but eternal peace is forever."

Phoenician?  That's a tall order, finding someone to compose with the alphabet, vocabulary, and grammar of an ancient West Semitic language! Dr. Moshe might bring it off, however.   :-)
Btw, your λεξικό δεν βρήκε καμία λέξη means "The dictionary didn't find any word."
That would have made an impressive tattoo!  :-))))

wolfy1985

• Semi-Newbie
Hahaha good thing Im not impulsive when it comes to tattoos.
Thanks for the input.

Precept

• Semi-Newbie
How about a lion or a lion's head, Robert, with the inscription ἕνα ἀλλὰ λέοντα — from Aesop's fable about the lioness who, when asked how many cubs she bears, responds, "Just one, but it's a lion."
(In caps that's ΕΝΑ ΑΛΛΑ ΛΕΟΝΤΑ.)

This is a really good idea; the more I think about it the more I like it.  Any other thoughts alonge these lines?

Search Tools