Language used in liturgical texts?

Nona35

Hy everybody. If I may ask what is exactly the language used in liturgical texts. Is it the New Testament "Koiny"? Are there any way to learn it on the Net?
« Last Edit: 09 Oct, 2015, 12:39:37 by spiros »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
The Orthodox liturgy is based on the common (koinē) Greek that persisted from the Hellenistic period up through Byzantine times.  The main sources for the liturgy are the New Testament and the Septuagint (2nd-century BC Greek translation of the Bible from Hebrew, especially the Psalms), along with hymns composed by Byzantine churchmen and emperors (e.g. Justinian).  You can learn something about it here:  Byzantine Chant - OrthodoxWiki.  The Internet offers many options for learning koinē Greek:  https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=learn%20koine%20greek.

Nona35

I would like to thank you for your answer, I think it will be very useful. But what do you think can I go through this adventure of learning Ancient Greek, though I am just intermediate in Modern Greek?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
If you're anything like me, learning ancient Greek will complement and reinforce your study of modern Greek.  But I suppose it all depends on your individual situation.  Where are you, and what is your native language?

Nona35

Well, my native language is Arabic, but I know well English and French + I know liturgical texts from attending Church, through readings, psalms and hymns (this helps me to recognize some Greek texts by comparison only), but my problem is when I face something new, such as Paraclesis canons for new saints, and I am asked to translate them. I have found real help through Translatum tools but I can't really discern whether the hymn is asking the help of the saint or is qualifying him as for example quick intercessor...     

billberg23

• Words ail me.
You are certainly welcome, Nona, to post any words or phrases from the liturgy that you don't understand on our Ancient Greek → English board!

Search Tools