deferunda

PatSer · 7 · 1058

PatSer

I wonder what could be in ancient greek the name of the godess Deferenda.

Could it be : Κατἐνεχτέα ?

Deferunda's name is from the Latin verbal adjective of defero. (deferendus, deferenda, deferendum)

Deferunda is one of four Roman Goddesses known from an invocation performed by the Arval Brethren.

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
If you are looking for a form of the verb καταφέρω - Ancient Greek (LSJ)

then these are some of the options:

καταφέρουσα
κατενέγκασα
κατενηνοχυῖα

Not sure of how the form you cite came up.

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

PatSer

Thank you very much for your help.

Καταφέρουσα, κατενέγκασα and κατενηνοχυῖα are feminine active participles.

Deferenda is an inflection of deferendus  the gerundive (also called the future passive participle) form of defero, which is a verbal adjective formed by adding -ndus, -a, -um to the present stem of  the verb.

The gerundive is always passive that is why I was looking forward a passive form of καταφέρω.

I think verbal adjectives in [ -τέος ] are adjectives of the 1°/2" declensional system derived from some verbs by adding the suffix [ -τέος ] indicating what must be X-ed [ δο-τέος - what must be given], or (as a substantive in the nominative singular neuter) that there is a need to perform the action of the verb: e.g. δο-τέον ἐστί (There must be a giving).

Do you think a closer translation of "deferunda" could be found using a feminine passive form ?

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour

PatSer

προσενεχτέος from προσφέρω here:

Full text of "Scholia in Euripidem" and here

Full text of "Alexander von Tralles : original-Text und übersetzung nebst einer einleitenden Abhandlung / vol. 2"
so I wondered if Κατἐνεχτέα could exist.
« Last Edit: 30 Jul, 2022, 13:58:58 by spiros »

spiros

• Administrator
  • point d’amour
In fact it is προσενεκτέος (see actual page, not OCR).

Scholia in Euripidem : Eduard Schwartz : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

No need for the breathing (*Κατἐνεχτέα), so hypothetically, it could be Κατενεκτέα.

ἀλλ᾿ εἰ μέλλει τις ὑγιαίνειν τὸ σῶμα τὸ φαῦλον, ὕδωρ αὐτῷ πρότερον καὶ ὀλίγα σιτία προσενεκτέον
An ill body can only become sound if the patient is first placed on a diet of water and scanty food
— ARISTOTLE, Magna Moralia
« Last Edit: 30 Jul, 2022, 14:01:32 by spiros »

Search Tools