Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257033

akevil

• Semi-Newbie
Hey you guys! I would like to have the following quote translated into ancient greek:

"Time destroys everything"

Thank you so much and keep up the good work!

billberg23

• Words ail me.

Greekone23

• Semi-Newbie
Hello Everyone.
Could someone please translate the years 1963-1968-1975-1982-1985-1988-2001 into Greek numbers for me? These are significant years of major events in my life that I would like to have tattooed in a spiral around the upper portion of my arm.
Thanks for your help.

Euterpe

Hello Everyone.
Could someone please translate the years 1963-1968-1975-1982-1985-1988-2001 into Greek numbers for me? These are significant years of major events in my life that I would like to have tattooed in a spiral around the upper portion of my arm.
Thanks for your help.

This is a though one. I know the theory. There are 2 systems.

1- the acrophonic system
The first letter of the number is used as a symbol for this number. Thus...
Ι = 1
Π = 5
Δ = 10
Η = 100
Χ = 1000
Μ = 10000

So I think you would have to add. For instance 1963 = ΧΗΗΗΗΗΗΗΗΗΔΔΔΔΔΔΙΙΙ
As you can see it is not very convenient...

2- the alphanumeric system
The Greek alphabet (plus a few Phoenician letters) is used to represent numbers. It is explained here: http://jesus8880.com/chapters/gematria/greek-alphabet.htm

banned8

@Greekone23: I suppose you are interested in the so-called alphabetic numbers, presented somewhere else in these pages. Another useful source of information is Wikipedia's page: http://www.russellcottrell.com/greek/utilities/GreekNumberConverter.htm

1963 ͵αϡξγ
1968 ͵αϡξη
1975 ͵αϡοε
1982 ͵αϡπβ
1985 ͵αϡπε
1988 ͵αϡπη
2001 ͵βα

An even more useful address in this case is the Greek Numeral Converter: http://www.russellcottrell.com/greek/utilities/GreekNumberConverter.htm
Yes, you've guessed right, I didn't have to work it out in my head.

nomoremutants

• Semi-Newbie
Hey, I've been wanting to get a tattoo for a long time, but haven't been able to find the right translation.

What I'm looking for is a specific verse from a poem my the greek writer Sappho.

I have been able to find whole poems written the way they were in Ancient Greece, but its hard to tell exactly what I am looking at.

I just don't want something grammatically incorrect, or spelt wrong, or even translated wrong on my body for the rest of my life.

It would be really neat if I could do it this way, kindness in others, and such..

So here it is:

For even if she flees, soon she shall pursue.
            And if she refuses gifts, soon she shall give them.
            If she doesn’t love you, soon she shall love
            even if she’s unwilling.”

Annnd this might be a translation of it...

kai gar ei feugei tacew~ diwxei
ai de dwra mh deket, alla dwsei
ai de mh filei tacew~ filhsei
kwuk eqeloisa.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
What I'm looking for is a specific verse from a poem my the greek writer Sappho.
So here it is:
center][/center] For even if she flees, soon she shall pursue.
            And if she refuses gifts, soon she shall give them.
            If she doesn’t love you, soon she shall love
            even if she’s unwilling.”
Annnd this might be a translation of it...
kai gar ei feugei tacew~ diwxei
ai de dwra mh deket, alla dwsei
ai de mh filei tacew~ filhsei
kwuk eqeloisa.
Yes, that's pretty much it in "greeklish," nomoremutants.  Here it is in Greek:

Καὶ γὰρ αἰ φεύγει, ταχέως διώξει,
αἰ δὲ δῶρα μὴ δέκετ', ἀλλὰ δώσει,
αἰ δὲ μὴ φίλει, ταχέως φιλήσει
κωὐκ ἐθέλοισα.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov, 2007, 03:07:23 by billberg23 »

sweptide

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,  I am not familiar with the greek language and I am trying to translate something back to Greek that Aristotle talked about.  He lived in 322BC so I assume I'd need the ancient translation.  Here is what I am trying to translate...

Primum movens (Latin for First Cause or Mover Unmoved)

Would you know how to translate this to ancient Greek?  I would love to put this as a tattoo on my arm.

Thanks,
Jeff Williams

Alicambol

• Semi-Newbie
Hi all,

First time poster here - I'm getting a tattoo too!

My idea is I want 2 phrases flanked by the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. Been struggling to find a pic of the temple (as I'm sure it was razed a long long time ago), so will probably have to come up with something else.

I would like to have both phrases as the ancients would have written them (Say in a temple or on stone)

I think I have the first one sorted - know thyself:

ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ

The second one is the title of this thred. How would the ancients have written KATA TON DAIMONA EAYTOY in proper greek letters?. And would it be proper to have KATA TON on the first line and DAIMONA EAYTOY below it. How would the ancients have done this in 2 lines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Alex

banned8

Hello,  I am not familiar with the greek language and I am trying to translate something back to Greek that Aristotle talked about.  He lived in 322BC so I assume I'd need the ancient translation.  Here is what I am trying to translate...

Primum movens (Latin for First Cause or Mover Unmoved)

Would you know how to translate this to ancient Greek?  I would love to put this as a tattoo on my arm.

Thanks,
Jeff Williams
Hi, Jeff.

It's:

τὸ πρῶτον κινοῦν

In upper case:

ΤΟ ΠΡΩΤΟΝ ΚΙΝΟΥΝ

You may see it here: http://remacle.org/bloodwolf/philosophes/Aristote/physique7gr.htm (II. § 1.)

billberg23

• Words ail me.
My idea is I want 2 phrases flanked by the Temple of Apollo at Delphi. I would like to have both phrases as the ancients would have written them (Say in a temple or on stone)
I think I have the first one sorted - know thyself:
ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ
The second one is the title of this thred. How would the ancients have written KATA TON DAIMONA EAYTOY in proper greek letters?. And would it be proper to have KATA TON on the first line and DAIMONA EAYTOY below it. How would the ancients have done this in 2 lines?
Alex, if ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ had been a familiar phrase in ancient times (which it probably wasn't), it could have been written in one, two, three, even four lines — whatever it took to fit it to the shape of the stone.  It could even have been broken in mid-word, and they wouldn't have minded much.
You're right about ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ being closely associated with Apollo at Delphi.  It was, in fact, one of the two gnomic utterances inscribed within the temple itself. The other was ΜΗΔΕΝ ΑΓΑΝ ("Nothing too much"), which (it seems to me) would be a much more appropriate mate to ΓΝΩΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ than the modern inscription on Morrison's tomb.  Anyway, you might consider that for your tattoo.  If Jimbo himself had considered ΜΗΔΕΝ ΑΓΑΝ, we might have him, and his wonderful music, with us yet.

thewarningbell

• Semi-Newbie
Howdy-

I was looking to get the last half of Isaiah 6:8 (here i am; send me) tattooed. I've found the verse in its entirety online, but I am unable to pick out just the last half. Is there anyone that can translate just that portion of the verse into ancient greek?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was looking to get the last half of Isaiah 6:8 (here i am; send me) tattooed.
Ἰδοὺ ἐγώ εἰμι· ἀπόστειλόν με.

akaralar

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,

I'm a stranger to Greek and Ancient Greek, but nonetheless I want to have "The whole is more than the sum of its parts"(a quote by Aristotle in Metaphysics) tattooed. I tried to find how it is written and came up with some good approximations, ie I learned that it was in Book 8, 1045a, lines 8-10. However, when I check the English translations of that part of Book 8, it says:
"With regard to the difficulty which we have described in connection with definitions and numbers, what is the cause of the unification? In all things which have a plurality of parts, and which are not a total aggregate but a whole of some sort distinct from the parts, there is some cause ; inasmuch as even in bodies sometimes contact is the cause of their unity, and sometimes viscosity or some other such quality.But a definition is one account, not by connection, like the Iliad, but because it is a definition of one thing." at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.01.0052&layout=&loc=8.1045a

Metaphysics in Ancient Greek can be found in Greek Wikisource, here is the link to Book 8: http://el.wikisource.org/wiki/%CE%9C%CE%B5%CF%84%CE%B1%CF%86%CF%85%CF%83%CE%B9%CE%BA%CE%AC_-_%CE%92%CE%B9%CE%B2%CE%BB%CE%AF%CE%BF_%CE%97

Does anyone know if there is actually a quote like "The whole is more/greater than the sum of its parts", or is it just the summary of a part of the book? And, if that quote exists, can anyone tell how it was written originally?

Thanks for any kind replies.

Search Tools