Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257049

alexandros!

• Semi-Newbie
Καλησπέρα! Μπορείτε να μου μεταφράσετε την φράση "Ζήσε τ' όνειρό σου" στα λατινικά? Ευχαριστώ! Αλέξανδρος
« Last Edit: 15 Feb, 2007, 16:43:33 by wings »

billberg23

• Words ail me.

olibear

• Semi-Newbie
Your "Greek Bible" source gives a reasonable translation and (1a) interpretation of συνεζωοποίησεν.  By the way, don't be confused by "quickened."  That's 17th-century English for "enlivened," so it means the same as "made alive."  (Cf. the expression "The quick and the dead," = "The living and the dead.") 

Ok. So, if συζωοποιέω is the infinitive, συνεζωοποίησεν would be the present perfect?
Is that correct?

alexandros!

• Semi-Newbie
ευχαριστω πολυ! Μου ειχαν πει ομως πως ειναι "vive tuum somnium". ειναι λαθος; Αλεξανδρος

alexandros!

• Semi-Newbie
συγγνωμη που γινομαι κουραστικος και επιμενω. την φραση την θελει ο αδερφος μου για τατουαζ.. vive=ζησε, tuum=το δικο σου, somnium=ονειρο. κανω λαθος; (δεν ξερω καθολου καλα λατινικα). Οποτε δεν ειναι καλυτερα vive tuum somnium; συγγνωμη και παλι για την επιμονη μου.. Αλεξανδρος

billberg23

• Words ail me.
συγγνωμη που γινομαι κουραστικος και επιμενω. την φραση την θελει ο αδερφος μου για τατουαζ.. vive=ζησε, tuum=το δικο σου, somnium=ονειρο. κανω λαθος;
Όλα σωστά.
(δεν ξερω καθολου καλα λατινικα). Οποτε δεν ειναι καλυτερα vive tuum somnium;
Πρόκειται για φυσική ροή της γλώσσας.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Ok. So, if συζωοποιέω is the infinitive, συνεζωοποίησεν would be the present perfect?
Is that correct?
συζωοποιέω is not an infinitive. 
A verb is always entered into a dictionary under its first principal part.  In English, the first principal part of a verb is the bare verb, e.g. "bring," "lose," "love," etc.  In Greek, the first principal part is the first person singular present active indicative, so "I bring," "I lose," "I love," etc.  So your dictionary lists the first principal part of Paul's συνεζωοποίησεν as συζωοποιέω, which is, as I mentioned above, the first person singular, present active indicative ("I make alive with").
Many dictionaries phrase definitions (sloppily) as infinitives:  so in your dictionary (under συζωοποιέω), instead of the more accurate "I make alive," you find "to make alive."
Finally, συνεζωοποίησεν is simple past, despite the fact that the King James version translates it loosely as a present perfect.
« Last Edit: 16 Feb, 2007, 19:59:20 by billberg23 »

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hi Guys this thread is awesome! Im looking at getting a tattoo but havent yet decided what to get! I was looking for something really meaningful and powerful like "hell hath no fury as a woman scorned" but then i thought id be patriotic and get something in Greek instead. Any good ideas for me? something from mythology or a philosopher??
Thanks heaps!
We haven't forgotten you, Iwanna (Iωάννα?), but it's not easy to find something that's just right.  Will modern Greek work as well for you as ancient Greek?
Αs for ancient Greek, you might consider the two famous sayings inscribed in the temple of Apollo at Delphi by the Seven Sages:
ΓΝΩΘΘΙ ΣΑΥΤΟΝ  (γνῶθι σαυτόν), "Know yourself," and  ΜΗΔΕΝ ΑΓΑΝ  (μηδέν ἄγαν),  "Nothing too much."
The two statements were universally regarded by the Greeks as representing ultimate wisdom.  The latter was particularly hard for them to live up to, thank goodness.     
« Last Edit: 17 Feb, 2007, 08:08:28 by billberg23 »

Lucas

• Semi-Newbie
hey, thanks so much for the reply for the tattoos, i have decieded on a font i like but was wondering if  i could word the saying i want in the font i like, i am in south america at the moment in rio so communicating to the tattoo artist is not easy , the saying is this

Κατά τον δαίμονα εαυτού- true to his own spirit

bu i would like to see it in this style below   with more of a slant like italics if possible , so i can give it too the tattoo artist

Πηγή της ζωής είναι η αγάπη. ( style of font)

thank u so much for all the help , i am very  very thankful

lucas
x

banned8

Πηγή της ζωής είναι η αγάπη. ( style of font)

Could you please give us the page number or the message link for this?

martj8

• Semi-Newbie
I am getting a greek god tattoo and I need a phrase translated.

In latin it is Si vis pacem, para bellum

The english translation is If you wish peace, prepare for war

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I am getting a greek god tattoo and I need a phrase translated.

In latin it is Si vis pacem, para bellum

The english translation is If you wish peace, prepare for war
ΕΙΡΗΝΗΝ ΕΙ ΕΘΕΛΕΙΣ, ΠΟΛΕΜΟΝ ΠΑΡΑΣΚEYΑΖΕ
Lower case: Εἰρήνην εἰ ἐθέλεις, πόλεμον παρασκεύαζε

Better yet, maybe, is a quote from Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics 1177b5:
ΠΟΛΕΜΟΥΜΕΝ ΙΝ' ΕΙΡΗΝΗΝ ΑΓΩΜΕΝ
Πολεμοῦμεν ἵν' εἰρήνην ἄγωμεν
(We make war so that we may live in peace.)
« Last Edit: 21 Feb, 2007, 00:11:13 by billberg23 »

Soul

• Semi-Newbie
Hello,

I'm hoping to get "two roads diverged" translated into Ancient Greek. Any similar concept (such as "two paths crossed") will also be fine. It is part of my favourite poem, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. To put it into context:

I shall be telling this with a sigh 
Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
I took the one less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Hello,

I'm hoping to get "two roads diverged" translated into Ancient Greek. Any similar concept (such as "two paths crossed") will also be fine. It is part of my favourite poem, "The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost. To put it into context:

I shall be telling this with a sigh 
Somewhere ages and ages hence: 
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— 
I took the one less traveled by, 
And that has made all the difference.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Literally, "two roads diverged" would be δισσαὶ ἐσχίσθησαν ὁδοί ;  but cf. Sophocles, Oedipus at Colonus 900, ἔνθα δίστομοι συμβάλλουσιν ὁδοί, "where branching roads meet."  Using Sophoclean language, then, "two paths crossed" would be δίστομοι συνέβαλον ὁδοί.
« Last Edit: 21 Feb, 2007, 08:54:58 by billberg23 »

Search Tools