Tattoos and Ancient Greek

Guest · 2415 · 1257458

479lead

• Semi-Newbie
You probably want to avoid the word for "shameless," which is ἀναίσχυντος.
If you want to say something like "unembarrassed," I'd go for οὐκ αἰσχυνόμενος, feminine οὐκ αἰσχυνομένη (= "not ashamed").
That sounds like what I would want.  The context that I am referencing it to is Romans 1:16 (For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ).

Would your translation fit this context?

billberg23

• Words ail me.
That sounds like what I would want.  The context that I am referencing it to is Romans 1:16 (For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ).
Would your translation fit this context?
Wish you had mentioned that context from the first.  In the original Greek there, (Rom.1.16) you find the single verb ἐπαισχύνομαι, "I am ashamed of," preceded by the word οὐ, "not."
But again, the verb is built on the noun αἴσχος, "shame."
« Last Edit: 23 Apr, 2007, 20:32:59 by billberg23 »

Calliope2206

• Semi-Newbie
Hi

I am of Greek descent and would like to get my first name as a Tattoo as it is the english version of my Yaya's name (i am Calliope and she is Kalliopi) i was given a translation for my name in modern Greek but was wondering if it is any different in Ancient Greek Text

If someone could send me a note on what it would look like would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wings

• Global Moderator
  • Vicky Papaprodromou
Hi

I am of Greek descent and would like to get my first name as a Tattoo as it is the english version of my Yaya's name (i am Calliope and she is Kalliopi) i was given a translation for my name in modern Greek but was wondering if it is any different in Ancient Greek Text

If someone could send me a note on what it would look like would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Καλλιόπη

Your name was exactly the same in Ancient Greek, too. :-)
Ο λόγος είναι μεγάλη ανάγκη της ψυχής. (Γιώργος Ιωάννου)

nicolettaninos

Would you be so kind as to translate the following into modern and old Greek. I am aware that the words may differ.

"Everything has beauty but not everyone sees it"

and

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Thank you
« Last Edit: 24 Apr, 2007, 18:35:04 by spiros »
Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Would you be so kind as to translate the following into modern and old Greek. I am aware that the words may differ.

and

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Ancient Greek:

ἐν πᾶσι κάλλος, ἀλλ’ οὺ πᾶς τις τοῦτο καθορᾷ.
(Literally:  There is beauty in all things, but not everyone beholds it.)

“Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”

Πᾶν χρῆμα ὁ μὲν ἐφορᾷ καλόν, ὁ δ΄ οὔ.
(Literally:  Every thing looks beautiful to one person, but not to another.)
« Last Edit: 24 Apr, 2007, 23:03:04 by billberg23 »

kim

No trouble at all, Kim.  Πάντα δίπλα μου is modern Greek, and you had asked for ancient Greek.

Oh that explained why is different. Thanks for the enlightenment. Modern Greek sentences seems shorter compared to the ancient greek that you helped me translated. In that case, need a last favour. Can help me translate the phrase again in Modern Greek as well. "Always by my side, Till death do us part."

One more request for the FontMaster. Can also please help me with the fonts, I need a jpg image for the tattoo artist to stencil it. Preferable a few type fonts, Garamond (bold), Trebuchet and Gentium, all lower caps will do.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Dipsomniac

• Semi-Newbie
Hello, I'm new to the forums, and I joined specifically so I could get some help with these two phrases. The reason that I'm looking to get the translations for these phrases are for a couple tattoos I want to get. The reason behind the tattoo is a long and unimportant story (to anyone but me anyways) at this point. :D
Anyways, I'm wondering what the Ancient Greek translations of these phrases are. Any help with this would be greatly greatly greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you!

billberg23

• Words ail me.
@ Dipsomniac:

Pillar of fire = ΣΤΥΛΟΣ ΠΥΡΟΣ  στῦλος πυρός (Exodus 14.24).

So pillar of faith = ΣΤΥΛΟΣ ΠΙΣΤΕΩΣ  στῦλος πίστεως.

nicolettaninos

Thank you again for all your help.

Till next time.
Nicoletta

Live-Love-Laugh

billberg23

• Words ail me.
Would you be so kind as to translate the following into modern and old Greek. "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
Finally, Nicoletta, modern Greek: Η ομορφιά βρίσκεται μόνο στο βλέμμα του παρατηρητή. [Thanks for the help, Elena!]

Live - Love - Laugh
Να ζεις, ν' αγαπάς, να γελάς.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr, 2007, 20:31:52 by billberg23 »

Dipsomniac

• Semi-Newbie
@billberg 23

Thank you so much. I couldn't find any online resource (besides this forum) that would give me and accurate translation. I found a parallel Greek and English Bible, but I didn't know which words were which since I don't speak Greek. I suppose that's obvious.

m076750

• Semi-Newbie
I was trying to get the phrase "Self-pity is for the Weak" translated but I can't find any matches for self-pity in any online ancient greek dictionary.

Thanks,

Tyler

billberg23

• Words ail me.
I was trying to get the phrase "Self-pity is for the Weak" translated but I can't find any matches for self-pity in any online ancient greek dictionary.
Οἰκτείρουσιν δ' ἑαυτοὺς μόνον οἱ ἀδύνατοι is the best I can do, Tyler (literally, "Only the weak feel pity for themselves").  Someone else may come up with something better.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr, 2007, 03:09:43 by billberg23 »

vango

• Semi-Newbie
Hey, i would like to get the words "love", "hate", "beginning" and "end" translated..
I don´t mean "agaph", "misos", "arxi" " and "telos",  i need the ancient translation..

Search Tools